Kid reviews for The Death Cure: Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 3

No sunny wrap-up to this very dark, mature series.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydashboard January 8, 2018
i have never cried over a book so much
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovieman25 November 23, 2017

Dark ending

There is lots of people at the end getting crushed by rocks and concrete. Author is very descriptive about blood oozing out between rocks. Mature tweens or teens.

Teen, 16 years old Written byUsaid Bin Rehan January 19, 2017

Grim Ending

Grimness must be reduced

Teen, 16 years old Written byWeAreReaders May 3, 2021

Amazing, But Sad

A good wrap up to the entire series, but not without a cost. SPOILER: Everyone's favorite character dies and Thomas acts like he sort of doesn't care. I definitely cried and I am sad that it had to end like that. But it was a generally good finish to a great trilogy. Some of it was a little hard to follow but it was otherwise really good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRunner5 March 23, 2021

Great Book

To begin, The Death Cure by James Dasher is the third and final book of The Maze Runner trilogy. The genre of this book is teen and young adult science fiction. On the cover of the book, you can see a picture of a big building on a snowy mountain. This picture gives you a visual of where the book is taking place. Also, in the book, you can find chapters and some italic words and phrases that the author put in. The author puts italic words and phrases so that you can know that the characters are taking or acting differently.

Second, I liked this book because of the way I could relate to the young teenage characters and the conflict that they go through. I say this because of how the author uses slang words in the book to make the characters sound more like teenagers. Also, in the book, the characters are fighting a disease called The Flare and I can relate to it because of the way that I am also fighting a disease called Coronavirus (Covid-19). This book was unlike other books that I have read because this book kept me on the edge of my seat and made me want to know what happened to the characters next.

For example, Thomas and the rest survivors from the Maze and the Scorch Trials get held at WICKED headquarters. After, getting told of the more tests and trials that they have to go through for WICKED to find a cure to a disease called The Flare. Thomas, Minho, Newton, Brenda, and Jorge decide to escape and head to a walled city named Denver, which is a reserve for uninfected and immune people. While being there they find out the WICKED has put a bounty on their heads and that Thomas is WICKED’s final candidate.

In conclusion, I think that this book would appeal to other teenagers and young adults because of how the author uses teenagers as characters and also how the characters use slang words that show how teenagers talk. I would recommend this book to them because it's original, unique, and thrilling. I say it's original and unique because of how the author makes the book based on teens trying to save the world from a deathly disease.

Teen, 13 years old Written byry.ka.pa February 24, 2021
This is a fantastic book to finish an amazing series. This book made me cry and laugh. It was an emotional roller coaster. Very fast paced, was definitely not mentally ready for some things in this book. I talk so much about this series/book and I only have good things to say about it. Overall, it is one of my favorite books.
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2021

10/10 The best dystopian book of all time!

This is a strong comment but I generally think this is the better out of the Maze Runner and the Hunger Games. Violence: 4/5 Tons of scary, dangerous scenes, mainly amongst people succumbing to a deadly virus called the Flare, Cranks. In the end scene the events are very dark and multiple, harmless people are killed by falling rocks and chunks of buildings. Knives, guns and explosives are used frequently to overthrow other people. Sex: 1/5 Sex references include mild kissing between couples. Language: 2/5 Shuck, Klunk, Slinthead and other Glade insults are said. Damn, hell and bloody are used very often. Drugs: 2/5 Rich people inhale a substance called the Bliss which fights a virus. Awesome read, a must for all fans of the films.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHorsegirl255 September 6, 2020

My new favorite by far!

I love this book it is so good and in detail I was always interested! There is lots of death in this book but I am fine with it make sure you are ok with death in books make sure to read the 1st book before this one it well confuse you if you don’t I read in order and did not get confused. This book is good for 12 year olds because if you are advanced enough you can read it but this is a 7th grade book have fun reading!

Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2020

So good! So sad! You need to read this book!

This book is so good! You must read the other books Maze Runner and Scorch Trials before this one! I think that it should be 10+ but your kid has to be mature because some of the content of gruesome.

Violence: Lots of violence! It gets into a lot of details when people get crush by buildings and walls. There is also a scenes where some characters get killed and so it’s very sad. Lots of suspense!!

Sex: they probably kiss and hold hands like once it’s not bad.

Drinking: there is this thing called the Bliss it’s kinda like alcohol and getting drunk.

Swearing: they don’t swear bad at the worst it’s Da** but it might be to much for your kid. They have there own words like, shank shuck and slinthead but nothing bad.

Great messages and role models: Thomas is a terrific role model for kids he’s very brave and world do anything to help his friends. Also other characters are great role models too!

**Spoilers for those who have read**

Why Newt!!! He was my fav character!! I cried so hard!

Kid, 10 years old May 2, 2020

THIS BOOK IS GREAT!

This book is not as interesting as the other 2, but still EXTREMELY gripping! You learn a lot more about the characters in this one.

I found it pretty pointless but as I read the prequels I understood its purpose.

A fab read starting off with a slow start but really good!

Kid, 11 years old November 17, 2019

The Death Cure

I thought that it was amazing! Everything links up so well with all the previous books. I have said that there is 'great role models' because Thomas is always doing what is best for his friends and puts them before himself. He also is a great leader and always makes the right decisions. Like the previous books in the series, there is violence but that is the type of book it is. There are a few deaths to close friends of Thomas but that doesn't ruin the whole book at all. For saying there is drugs in the book is because people who have the Flare they can buy this expensive drug called the Bliss that slows down the symptoms.They don't mention this much (maybe once or twice in the book) but i still put it in there anyway. Really enjoyed the book definitely should read.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGlader A5 July 11, 2019

So emotional and amazing! Amazing series!

Wow, that was the most amazing book ever! A emotional rollercoaster! So, people do die, has some violence, a bit of kissing. This one I say is 13+ it's sad and violent and so emotional. It's such a great dystopia. And Newt will forever be one of my favorite fictional characters.

Kid, 12 years old May 25, 2019

Great but sad.

This book was very good but sad and was quite gruesome.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShowman movie13 May 12, 2019

Teen, 13 years old Written byThemazerunner September 21, 2018

This is my favorite book series of all time

I loved this book series and I was sad to see my favorite character die neeeewwwtttt rip but anyway this was a great conclusion to the books

Teen, 14 years old Written byKatniss013 April 25, 2018

READ THIS BOOK NOW

This book is, in my opinion, the best one in the Maze Runner series. It has a fast-paced story line, but with a HEART-WRENCHING PLOT TWIST that will leave you in tears. The characters are relatable and their struggle against WICKED gives positive messages about the importance of loyalty and friendship. The Death Cure is the third book in the series of five, but it comes last chronologically (the last two books are prequels). It is well worth a read if you enjoy dystopian books with mysterious aspects.

Teen, 14 years old Written byRalex March 13, 2018

Pretty good!! But sad :( ( no spoiler alerts )

This book was good but sad. It has scary parts but none that scared me. Like running over cranks ( Zombies ) by a van or like wicked shooting people or walls falling on people. Some of my favorite characters die but nothing that got me crying. Thomas also shot a glader ( person that was in the maze ) in the head, this was less scarier than scorch trials but also a bit scary. Overall I rate this 11 and up and also pretty good.

Teen, 14 years old Written byNavira February 15, 2018
Teen, 13 years old Written byDustydo1 December 19, 2017

HORRIBLE ENDING

(This review contains spoilers.)
The first book was really good. The second book was fine. The third was TERRIBLE. That's my honest opinion.
The first thing is how incredibly boring it was in the beginning and honestly, throughout most of the book. But that doesn't begin to describe how TERRIBLE (sorry I have no other words) the ending was. Positively the worst I've ever read. Much more than Divergent (SPOILER ALERT) when Tris dies. If you've read the rest of the series, you know about the big betrayal with Teresa. And then Thomas doesn't forgive her. So at the end, when Teresa dies, and tells him she only ever cared for him, he chills in Paradise and decides to...
1) hook up with Brenda (not really; they only kiss, but still)
2) forget about his best friend's dying wish
3) give up on the rest of the human race (I mean, stop looking for a cure)
So therefore, you should only read the first book if you want to avoid love triangles and broken hearts that should've stayed out of the Maze Runner.

Teen, 13 years old Written byxtha88 March 31, 2016

Absolutely incredible storyline: please read!

I can't believe the reviews of this website. The Maze Runner was possibly one of the most mind boggling, action packed, dystopian, thriller I have ever had the private of getting my hands on. Yes, the story line is very complicated for the simple minded, but older mature kids can even struggle to wrap their heads around such a tangled, twisted storyline such as this. However, it makes it all the more of a challenge. With never ending deaths, making it way better than all the stupid books that save characters in impossible way, it is gruesome. But not in a bad way. The end: Commonsensemedia says children should get more than a little optimism. You know what I say, "screw that" BEST ENDING TO A FLIPPING SERIES EVER! A must read, but only for mature kids!