Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Devil's Arithmetic

Intense Holocaust story makes history real.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byasdsasddsa April 19, 2010

horrible

Parent of a 6, 11, and 11 year old Written byhermione-miri January 11, 2011

Older Children Classic

Great story for older children to help children understand what other's can do.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byelkmont mon July 10, 2010
Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written byslk9196 December 4, 2011

Multifaceted learning opportunity for older kids

My 5th grader is reading this book in school, so I decided to read along. I found it to be a riveting, deeply moving story on many levels. At the most obvious level, it allows the reader to identify with the horrors of the holocaust from a relatable individual's perspective, and, as a result, to wrestle with humanity's capacity for such inhumane behavior. However, the book also offers a useful platform for learning about writing and story-telling. Yolen elegantly weaves important cultural themes like the value of story-telling and the responsibility of remembering into many layers of the narrative. She also effectively captures typical adolescent ingratitude and self-centeredness in Hannah's character, just to transform those qualities through her virtual experience as Chaya. Overall, the book serves as a wonderful teaching tool for history, morality, cultural resilience and personal growth.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byMADDI3000 April 5, 2010

AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aMAZING BOOK NOT FOR AGES 9+ MABEY 10 IF mature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love i when she goes back in time to world war 2 and then she meets ......wait you will have to read it to find out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bykekumukula November 11, 2009

Page Turner for the High Achieving

I taught this book to my GATE level group near the end of their school year. It is a fantastic book! There is a lot left to your imagination in regards to how Jewish prisoners were treated. The author was not graphic in detail at all. As a person who knew the basics of the Holocaust, I found this book to be very educational and riveting. I was on the edge of my seat for this book. I think it is an appropriate example for 10+ to read, especially if the 10 year olds are mature and responsible as most GATE leveled children are.

Adult Written byRya January 17, 2013

Devil's Arithmetic - book and movie

I thought that both the book and the movie were excellent individually but better as companion pieces together. I am a student of holocaust literature and I thought that in many ways the Devil's Arithmetic gave me a better sense of the experience than most of the "adult" materials I have read or watched. I used the book and the movie with my own children and thought that the learning experience was that good that I keep a couple of copies of the book and the movie in my personal library to lend out to others. The kids who have borrowed them have to supplement the Illinois required Holocaust education have asked me to lend them more and discuss their further questions.

Educational Value
Parent of a 6, 8, 8, 10, 12, and 12 year old Written byBubbie Ida March 20, 2010

a great book to share with grandchildren.

I think that this is a wonderful book for 8th-10th grades. It is a good introduction to the Holocaust and can be part of an intense study of that period. I read this for an adult book group with my grandchildren in mind. Certqainly this book can be read by both adults and teens as a jumping off place to discuss many themes of history and current events.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 25, 2009

sad but very good.

this is VERY SAD AND A VERY DETAILED BOOK ABOUT THE HOLOCOAST. and YES KIDS ARE MURDERED.

Adult Written bysarahwalters777... April 28, 2010
i think this is good because it teaches you alot about the past and how people left at the time

Adult Written byCommonSenseChristian May 3, 2015

The Devil You Know...And The One You Need to Know

Thirteen-year-old Hannah Stern is a modern Jewish girl living in New York, who doesn't understand the importance of her heritage and is embarrassed by her grandfather's reaction to any mention of the Holocaust. There aren't any concentration camps now, she tells her mother, so what's the point of remembering? During the Seder, Hannah is invited to open the apartment door for the prophet Elijah...and is whisked back in time to Poland, circa 1942. When the Nazis descend upon the Jewish village where she finds herself, Hannah knows what they're up to but no one will listen. Hannah is forced to endure life in a concentration camp. Throughout her journey, Hannah learns valuable lessons about her heritage, appearance vs. reality, memory, and more. Her growth and maturity will inspire readers, especially near the end of the book. Other characters mentor Hannah along the way, showing great courage and sacrifice. The village's rabbi reminds his congregants they are in God's hands. Hannah makes a commitment to remember the Holocaust once she returns from time travel. Of course, the major issue here lies in the Nazis' treatment of Jewish inmates. It's actually far less graphic than it could be, but abuse is still quite prevalent. Readers get a full picture of dehumanizing procedures such as forced stripping, tattooing, and hair-shaving. Prisoners are continually physically abused, and some are hung as the result of a failed escape attempt. A guard carries a child into gas chambers. Other prisoners, including a three-year-old, die from malnutrition and disease. If your children are ready to navigate these, consider holding a discussion after they read the book. You will find plenty of great fodder.

Adult Written bymonica294 April 9, 2008

Touching

This was definetly a good book, because it explains the holocoust to children. Jane can really write; all of her books are page-turners! P.S. Read it, don't miss this.
Adult Written bylalah April 9, 2008
Parent of a 12 year old Written byYiannis May 28, 2010

FIne for ages 10+. This is because they need some backround knowledge on WW2 and some other things.

It was ok. It didn't amaze me but I cant say i didn't like it.

Adult Written byrevie from balgeet January 8, 2019

oh my god just why

this book is BORINGi absolutely is terrible it make me want to go back in time and slap the characters

Adult Written byBenny boy October 15, 2018