All teen and kid member reviews for The Devil's Arithmetic

Teen, 13 years old Written byHeyAlyss October 20, 2011

It is a really good book.

I am a thirteen year old girl reviewing it from my point of view. And, if I'm saying that it is one of my favorite books on the holocaust, then it is true.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykirss April 12, 2010
i think that this book is very good, and i dont think that it is bad for any children at all. I think it is very good for kids ages 12 and older because it actually teaches you about the holocaust.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNEWYORK51 October 21, 2011

not good

is inapropite for my kids
Teen, 13 years old Written byallittleton May 15, 2011
Teen, 15 years old Written bybigcat April 9, 2008

you have to read this book all ages

Teen, 13 years old Written byguin236 July 10, 2012

"The Devil's Arithmetic" Is a Must Read Title

This is an engaging story about a young girl who learns the importance of remembering and the past. It is a good introduction to the Holocaust and the concept of why we need to preserve and remember our history. It is also a good rainy day story for older children (think 11-12 +) and adults alike. Readers will enjoy this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBoyWhoCriedWolf101 October 6, 2011

STUPID WORST EVER

i like most books i read but this was the number 1 worst book ever to be sold in the world it sucks .... its so boring and no matter who you are you will hate it so boring
Kid, 12 years old June 18, 2011

Good but only for mature kids

I thought that it was pretty good but it was a little scary for me a couple of times. Nightmares would not be a surprise for younger children. It was very interesting, though, and I mostly had a fun time reading it. It also taught me a lot about Holocaust.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNativemoon95 May 16, 2011

Perfect For Tweens and Teens

I was assigned to read this book in school and when I first saw the cover that it wasn't going to be a very good book, but then I read it! I love this book, I'm not Jewish but I can relate to how Hannah feels when you are listening to your grandparents go on and on about something you had nothing to with, it can be frustrating when someone like me loves history but hates being a told a story but not all of it and then having to hear over and over. This book had me turning the pages over and over and i ended up finished it in two hours. The way Jane made Hannah's point of view blew me away because like i said even though I'm not Jewish I could relate to her and how Hannah dealt with everything was Amazing.....it it truly a Amazing book and if you ever have time sit down and read it! It's educational and addicting!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygnatalie12 November 8, 2010

great for ages 12 and up

I loved this story! I would say that it is not for kids under the age of 12 though because of the amount of violence.
Kid, 6 years old April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlyssam1501 April 2, 2014

Devils Arithmetic

The Devils Arithmetic was a phenomenal book about a girl named Hannah who turns into a girl named Chaya and suddenly faces the harshness of the holocaust. She learns how hard and brutal life was if you were a Jew during the Holocaust. She is put in concentration camps and is no longer called by her name. She becomes a number. Chaya is treated cruelly and brutally and it is up to her to change it. She meets new people and is filled with horror at the sight of what people went through during the Holocaust. Throughout the book she learns that without laughter there is no hope and without hope there is no life. She becomes strong and realizes that she is not a number. She is Chaya. She is Life
Teen, 13 years old Written bylilraquan May 18, 2012

nazi and jews

i think this a good movie about the nazi and jews
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2011

Great Book!

This book was really, really great. It was educational, and at the same time, ans adventure! Although it may get sad at times, it gives the reader a feel of what it might have been like in the Holocaust. Overall, I think it was a very interesting, want-to-read-more book!
Kid, 12 years old January 9, 2016

Amazing but a little scary

this book was really good. Although, some of the things that were described were a little scary.
Teen, 15 years old Written byZombieslayer47 December 9, 2015
Teen, 14 years old Written byDrishti June 19, 2012

A well written book

When i first found out at school that we had to read a book called "The Devil's Arithmetic", I thought it was probably the weirdest name I had ever heard until I read it :) .. Jane Yolen has given such a description that when you read it it gives a clean picture of what was exactly happening ... Like a movie... Hannah's character and her style of story telling was perfect.. In fact , Jane's way of writing was so good that you could actually picture what the people looked like and what they sounded like :D
Kid, 12 years old March 6, 2012

child aimed(:

It tells a great story- and unlike many other holocaust books, it is aimed at children, and makes it easier to understand from a childs point of view, without all the graphic images of dead Jews. It is very educational- i learned alot from this book. it is easy to read, yet it tells alot. it is a great book!
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2012

THE BOOK!!! :)

this book review can really help parents and kids know about it because i am in middle school and i have finnished reading it now it was very interesting and i just couldnt put it down it was very very VERY good i loved it though it can be sad in some parts
Teen, 15 years old Written bygigglez132 January 3, 2012