Kid reviews for The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

Boarding school rebel story more insightful than most.

Kid, 12 years old February 2, 2011

Love it!

This is a smart, fun book. I checked it out from my public library because I needed something to read during my family's long car trip. This book was the perfect length and Frankie is a very like-able character.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysunnysideup7685 July 10, 2012

A Hypocritical Worthless book

Overall the book was okay, although the plot was somewhat dry and the overall message of the book is not a good one. The lack of a good message was something that irked me though out the whole story. Many of the guys in the Basset Hound Society, especially Alpha act like they can do whatever they want because their parents have money and they are the ones in the popular Senior crowd. This includes objectifying girls, especially their girlfriends. Frankie's boyfriend in particular treats her like she needs to be protected and can not function on her own without his help. In the end Frankie upset with how her boyfriend is treating her decides to show the boys she is tough enough by taking control of their secret society and making them pull pranks that vandalize the school. This is one of the main problems I had with the book. Frankie knows her boyfriend is not treating her the right way, nor his friends. But, because she has had a crush on him for a long time and she wants to be popular, she lets them continue treating her this way and instead seeks revenge on them by secretly running their club. What is ironic though is that Frankie is a strong advocate for women's liberation from men and women having equal equality, which is the other half of her drive for wanting the boys to like her. She feels that if she can do something impressive and make the boys like her she'll finally be accepted. Frankie's character is very selfish in this way and on top of that she lies to her best friend while all this is going on and completely shuts her out. What I find the most revolting though is her family does not punish her when they find out what she's doing, but instead they stop treating her like a little girl because they feel she has proven herself by what she has done. The book also includes references to birth control and sex. The boys of the Basset Hound Society also drink beer, smoke cigarettes and marijuana.
Kid, 11 years old July 24, 2010
Love it! one of my favorite books! everyon e should read it!

Educational Value