Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things

Funny overweight girl goes through some heavy stuff.

Adult Written byTomato-Face April 19, 2011

A lot better than other Tween and Teen books

I found this in the Banned Book List and quickly checked it out. I read it and enjoyed the fast pace, the touch up on weight and Virginia's insecurity on it, eating disorders, and the frustration over image. Through out most of the book, you see her struggle to be with her family, her mothers own denial (despite being a therapist), and how one event can change everyone's lives. It is quite a short book, Virginia is able to grow up and learns how to define herself.

Adult Written byGodisfirst April 9, 2008

Not age appropriate

While this book may have a good message for teens, self esteem and what not, it is not a book for early teen readers. I was sickened by the rape event. This book is for a very mature reader. More appropriate for high school.
Parent of a 1 year old Written byExtrynia Nchoziviosk March 2, 2013

Has such an important message

I think that every teenage girl should read this. Ive made all of my students read this, and the message is amazing. Virginia has convinced herself that she is unloveable because of her weight. Her mutter pushes her to change,and that the only reason that her mutter begins to like her. Her perfect older brother rapes a girl and Virginia's parents shrug it off. Virginia stops her diet because she is so torn apart by her brother's actions. Her parents shunn her, and Virginia realizes that she only changed her body image to make them happy; she should have done it to make herself happy is she wanted to. Virginia deals with so many resonable struggles, you cannot miss reading this book, it can be LIFE-CHANGING

Parent of a 10 year old Written byColoradoMama October 21, 2012

Highly Recommended

Once a fat girl, now a mom of an athletic but bigger tween girl, I found this book a breath of fresh air. The fat girl dating rules took me right back to high school (and college!), while remembering the shame of being fat, desperately trying to fit in, and constantly feeling like a failure in spite of admirable accomplishments. I look forward to my daughter reading this book in the future and discussing it with her.

Adult Written bybridgett325 November 30, 2011

Great Book

In this story you can feel what the character feels. It does have sexual content, but not bad.

Adult Written bycaitlin89 September 17, 2009

Inspiring!

I really love this book! I read it when I was 16. It really made me look at my body in a different way! It gave me a little more self confidence! Fat girls are awesome too!
Adult Written byKatielulu31 April 9, 2008

A must read for teenage girls

This book is a great way to show girls that self esteem comes from the inside out. In a world where so many young women are searching for the perfect body this book shows teenagers that they can be happy with the way that they look. Girls need more books like this one.
Adult Written byKarina Helena February 5, 2012

how the other side of the world sees you and how you should open your eyes to see it.

Im a 27 year old woman who comes from Poland. Ive just read this book. I gotta say Id hand it to my teenage kid if only I had one... I believe its one of those books that make the teenage kids think.. and Id like that for my own. I heard the book was banned in some schools. I think this is crazy.. it makes me even laugh... the book talkes about possible reality... why than hide it from your kids? Is it because the word RAPE is mentioned.. Lets face it.. the teenage mind is ready to start thinking about more serious subjects. If you think the kind is not mature enough.... maby it can get a little mature thanks to it? and is that bad? your kid will really enjoy this book which could make them start thinking about something more than what to wear to school. I lived in US and sorry to say that the priorities of the kids at schools (especially highschool) are turned upside down comparing to the real life priorities that rule this world. Kids in your country often are unable to converse about important things in life... they look at your like youre crazy to expect that from them. That's sad because many people grow up that way and later on have no connection to the world what so ever. They cannot relate to it. They dont question authorities as theyre not used thinking about serious reality in the world. How can a person like this later understand what does it mean to suffer from alcoholism prostitution or drug addiction if you dont allow .. even ban the books that talk about those subjects. Such kids do not work on their EQ. - emotional intelligence.. and moreover.. because they cant relate.. they cant truly be sympathetic... and our world needs it so badly. I remember being a teenage girl and reading Christiane F. – We Children from Bahnhof Zoo. The book shocked me and even it was quite tough to process it was a great wake up call! made me think a lot.. made me realize how I dont want to be a kid from the Zoo station.. it taught me a lesson. Dont worry to shake up your kids a little... Dont ban the book! instead of that read it with your kids and talk about it later .. like friends. Kids will grow up with or with out the parental advisory.. if you know what I mean. Karina.

Parent of a 2 year old Written bymrs.taylor32889 December 22, 2009

review this

i think that it is a learning experience for all girls to read this message of this book because it sends a message to all girls that no matter what u look like u are beautiful and dont ever wait to ask how someone feels and b used dont let boys take u for granted.