Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Egypt Game

Newbery Honor book is a fun mystery romp.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byMomInNJ March 16, 2011

Violence a little too realistic

This book has both implied and graphic violence, which doesn't add to the plotline or intrigue. Two children have been murdered in the local neighborhood, with one girl's boy described as having been found in a shallow marsh. Later in the story, a girl is assaulted with a first-person description of the feeling of fingers around her throat and air being crushed out of her lungs. What's worse is the incidental violence... one child's cherished pet parakeet is killed when a neighbor's cat breaks into the house... so the kids decide to mummify it by soaking it in brine. There's discussion of ritual sacrifices and how people used to cut off their own fingers. At the very end, the "hero" elderly Professor tells the children how his late wife was murdered by locals in a political uprising while on a charitable mission in a foreign country-- which adds nothing to the storyline except more horror. Maybe this book would be OK for older kids 14+, but not any younger. The violence is too realistic.

Adult Written byLisa123swag456mom December 10, 2013

NOT GOOD

this was one that just was not a good book and etc.

Educational Value
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 20, 2010
This is a very great book for children. The only problems are talk about a murder and implied swearing by a character.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byjada11207 May 4, 2010

For older kid and up.

i love this book because its good and it is a mystery book for kids and you can find it interesting.

Parent of a 9 year old Written bydrjones February 11, 2011

good message, slow start

The book has a good message regarding how to treat your neighbors. Not much happens in the beginning, but about three quarters of the way through it gets interesting.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bynh43 October 8, 2018

Great book about friendship

I read this book with my 10 year old son. We both enjoyed it immensely and I highly recommend it. Reading it reminded me of how different books are these days than even when I was a child. This book was written in 1967, a time when parents allowed their children much more freedom. The 11 year olds regularly babysit a 4 year old. They go shopping and play unattended with not an adult or iPhone in sight. This was the time before helicopter parenting was a thing. So some of it may seem a little shocking in this day and age. The book really speaks to things that kids of all ages face, like friendship, family issues, fitting in at school. But ultimately this book is about creativity and friendship, and the positive power that relationships with others have on our lives. It does mention murder of children, though none of the named characters in this book are murder victims. Towards the end, there is a "close call" involving a major character, who is ultimately fine. While these things are referenced, there is nothing that should be too scary for most children.