Parent reviews for The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate Poster Image

Fabulous for all ages

Calpurnia captivated our entire family. It is a coming-of-age story about an 11 year old girl living in Texas at the turn of the century, but it is much more. Every chapter opens with a quote from Darwin which is worthy of discussion all its own, and the stories from her grandfather’s experience in the Civil war gives nuance rarely provided in children’s books. The family dynamic with Calpurnia’s brothers and parents is rich in warmth and hilarity. My nightly reading aloud of this book became the ‘main event’ in our house for a few weeks and we were all a bit sad when it ended. Good thing there are more Calpurnia stories out now!

Looking forward to reading The Curious Life of Calpurnia Tate!

Just finished reading this book with my 8 year old daughter. She loved it and I loved. It was a really fun read and a wonderful opportunity to talk about life in 1899.

Positive role modeling and family relationships!

The book is about the relationship between a grandfather and a granddaughter. The positive role modeling for young tween girls is wonderful. It teaches girls to be whatever they want to be, even if it seems impossible!

Great read for girls

The story in based in 1899 Texas. The main character, Calpurnia, develops an interest in science as she gets to know her grandfather more closely. At the same time, her mother pushes her to learn the domestic skills necessary to catch a husband instead of further pursuing an education. I recommend this book for kids over the age of 10 simply because there are a few references to animal reproduction. Calpurnia briefly mentions that she has seen dogs mating and a man recommends that her brother rent out his rabbit for stud services.

Delightful historical fiction

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found it delightful the way Callie was getting to know her Grandaddy. The science he exposed her to was cleverly injected. The description of Texas life in 1899 was facinating, thoughtful. I loved it and am trying to get my daughter to read it.