All parent member reviews for The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bytonyasrb November 28, 2010

Great read for girls

The story in based in 1899 Texas. The main character, Calpurnia, develops an interest in science as she gets to know her grandfather more closely. At the same time, her mother pushes her to learn the domestic skills necessary to catch a husband instead of further pursuing an education. I recommend this book for kids over the age of 10 simply because there are a few references to animal reproduction. Calpurnia briefly mentions that she has seen dogs mating and a man recommends that her brother rent out his rabbit for stud services.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byNew England Mom July 9, 2010

Delightful historical fiction

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found it delightful the way Callie was getting to know her Grandaddy. The science he exposed her to was cleverly injected. The description of Texas life in 1899 was facinating, thoughtful. I loved it and am trying to get my daughter to read it.
Adult Written bymogrady February 25, 2010
Parent Written bySandman 1954 February 6, 2013

Positive role modeling and family relationships!

The book is about the relationship between a grandfather and a granddaughter. The positive role modeling for young tween girls is wonderful. It teaches girls to be whatever they want to be, even if it seems impossible!