Kid reviews for The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate Poster Image

ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS!!!

This is a very good book for every child who breaks stereotypes. It is completely child appropriate and educational as well as funny and interesting. Kids who love nature will appreciate this book. THIS BOOK IS SOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Callie's World

Callie Vee. I love her character. You will totally bristle up when her mother tries to live through her. You will laugh when Grandaddy mistakenly calls Callie his only grandchild. Callie is a great role model for girls everywhere. Don't let anything stop you.

Evolution

The theme of this book is evolution. I like this book because it is about a girl not much older then me and it is really interesting to see the change Calpurnia goes through and to wonder if I am going to go through the same thing.

Great, especially for a Historical fiction book!

I'm pretty picky when it comes to historical fiction. However, this was beyond good. I love science, so having that weaved in was really nice for me. There wasn't much violence which I'm surprised that I was able to stay sane as I am a person where violence in a book is mandatory. Callie is a good role module for someone like me, a female scientist.

review of calpurnia tate

this is a good book for teens... not so much for kids

Why did this book receive the Newberry Award?

I thought that books went through a strict rubric to be able to receive this award, but I suppose with this book it was not the case. Calpurnia's grandfather , who is the role model in this story, values a bat more than human life, he swears often (not just a couple times), and also mentions that he owns a book about drawing Female Nudes. I mean, really? It also talks about evolution sometimes, and talks about sexing and other things that really shouldn't be in a recipient of the Newberry Award. What is happening to our society when you can't find an appropriate and challenging book for kids? Authors put such stupid off-hand and unimportant, but still inappropriate and disturbing things in books. There is always that one thing that makes you think "Come on, why did you have to go and do that?" The problem is, that doesn't matter to people anymore, even though this is better than a lot, it still isn't very good .

A great read for children ages 11 & above.

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is a great book about a intelligent girl in the 1890s who is worried about her future. Will she be the housewife her mother wants her to be? Or go to college and be a teacher as she dreams to be? It has a strong and positive message and is packed with many information about the time period and science (which can be a little boring). Children ages 11 & above will enjoy this book tremendously.

AMAZING!!!!

I read this book about one year ago and still remember everything about it! I think it is very educational for kids to know about the old times for a young girl and having brothers. It is really funny at times and surprising what we take for granted and they don't like tasting coke for the first time and having a car to ride in.

Fabulous coming-of-age book for all girls!!

I thought this was a great book for girls around the age of 10 and up. The book had really great role models and I thought you also learn a lot about the way of life they had back then too. Being the age of 11 when I read this book, living in Texas myself, and having a hobby for discovery, I could also relate to it quite well! ( That always helps) I would definitely recommend this book.