All parent member reviews for The Fault in Our Stars

Adult Written byMosaCarter January 27, 2012

Best Book I Have Read In A Long Time.

John Green enlightens his audience with a slue of characters that are both relatable and lovable. As the story lays itself before you, you enter into a world of love and defeat. Loss and victories. And you realize how fragile and valuable life really is. I loved this book. I will always love John Green and I have recommended this book to everyone in my life. It pens your eyes in a way that is memorable and incredible. Bravo, John. Bravo.
Educator and Parent Written bymollypop April 26, 2013

Read this. Not just for teenagers.

Excellent, and here's why: when you read books about cancer, and especially about kids with cancer, they tend to be overly saccharine and preachy. This one isn't. It's a true (though not factual) tale of what it means to fall in love and become fully alive even as your life is slipping away in the most brutal way. John Green has intelligent vocabulary, well-written characters, and doesn't sugar coat the reality of living while dying. He perfectly captures the teenage angst and thoughtfulness that comes with facing your own death. You know how teenagers get very philosophical and "misunderstood" sometimes? That's in here, but it's for once not annoying, or pretentious. Hazel and Gus actually THINK, they truly FEEL, and even when their thoughts and ideas are diminished by the adults around them they still keep thinking and exploring. Their youth and idealism are counterbalanced by their maturity and cynicism. Nothing in life is cut-and-dried, or black-and-white, and The Fault in Our Stars gets at that concept. This is fresh and honest, and far better than most silly teen literature available today.
Parent of a 5, 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byJulia Tomiak July 13, 2012

Excellent novel, but keep tissues handy.

This is an excellent, but heart wrenching story, about appreciating the fragility of life and loving even when it hurts. These very intelligent and insightful characters grapple with deep stuff, like the meaning of life and what kind of mark to leave on this world. Great for older readers; I agree with the age 15 suggestion.
Adult Written bytyvieonr March 3, 2015

Great For advanced readers

I'm 11 years old and I have read this book . This book may be good for advanced readers my age.
Parent Written byJulesReviews June 9, 2014

Touching, Amazing, Heart Breaking, You will suffer, And You Will Love It At The Same Time

I think it is a very touching book, it also teaches life lessons, that not only show that life doesn't have to be perfect, but it also show what cancer can make you go through. There are a few swear words, but if your child is 11 or older, obviously they have already heard them and lets be honest, swear words are a part of life, and they are going to hear them pretty much as long as they live. Its an amazing love story and could also teach your children what true love is, not some Cinderella story.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 25, 2014

Rarely do they come as good as this!

A heartbreaking cocktail of first love romance and a very humorous tale of surviving that'll still make you tear up near the end, John Green is simply the master of knowing how teenagers feel, and expressing it in a very non-patronizing way. Hazel and Augustus are real, sarcastic teens with flaws, and he makes you fall in love with them! I can't wait for the movie version! I know several girls who wrote this for their English term paper, so expect this rather masterwork to be your child's curriculum in 5 years.
Educator and Parent Written bymaryamomarhuss February 24, 2014