All parent member reviews for The Fault in Our Stars

Educator and Parent Written bymaryamomarhuss February 24, 2014
Adult Written byMosaCarter January 27, 2012

Best Book I Have Read In A Long Time.

John Green enlightens his audience with a slue of characters that are both relatable and lovable. As the story lays itself before you, you enter into a world of love and defeat. Loss and victories. And you realize how fragile and valuable life really is. I loved this book. I will always love John Green and I have recommended this book to everyone in my life. It pens your eyes in a way that is memorable and incredible. Bravo, John. Bravo.
Educator and Parent Written bymollypop April 26, 2013

Read this. Not just for teenagers.

Excellent, and here's why: when you read books about cancer, and especially about kids with cancer, they tend to be overly saccharine and preachy. This one isn't. It's a true (though not factual) tale of what it means to fall in love and become fully alive even as your life is slipping away in the most brutal way. John Green has intelligent vocabulary, well-written characters, and doesn't sugar coat the reality of living while dying. He perfectly captures the teenage angst and thoughtfulness that comes with facing your own death. You know how teenagers get very philosophical and "misunderstood" sometimes? That's in here, but it's for once not annoying, or pretentious. Hazel and Gus actually THINK, they truly FEEL, and even when their thoughts and ideas are diminished by the adults around them they still keep thinking and exploring. Their youth and idealism are counterbalanced by their maturity and cynicism. Nothing in life is cut-and-dried, or black-and-white, and The Fault in Our Stars gets at that concept. This is fresh and honest, and far better than most silly teen literature available today.
Parent of a 12, 14, 15, and 18+ year old Written bypvregan July 4, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

Just fine.....for me, a 53 year old mother of 4. For my 14 and 16 year old kids...no..the language, the sex, etc., just isn't necessary. I was shocked at the following conversation in the book: “Um, maybe?” “Oh, my God. I’ve seen him at parties. The things I would do to that boy. I mean, not now that I know you’re interested in him. But, oh, sweet holy Lord, I would ride that one-legged pony all the way around the corral.” “Kaitlyn,” I said. “Sorry. Do you think you’d have to be on top?” “Kaitlyn,” I said. “What were we talking about. Right, you and Augustus Waters. Maybe… are you gay?” “I don’t think so? I mean, I definitely like him.” “Does he have ugly hands? Sometimes beautiful people have ugly hands.” “No, he has kind of amazing hands.” “Hmm,” she said. “Hmm,” I said. Is this really what we want our kids reading? Is it really necessary to have this in the book? Is it the only way it will be read by teens? A must read for teens? On the summer reading list for high schooler students? I just don't get it.....
Parent of a 5, 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byJulia Tomiak July 13, 2012

Excellent novel, but keep tissues handy.

This is an excellent, but heart wrenching story, about appreciating the fragility of life and loving even when it hurts. These very intelligent and insightful characters grapple with deep stuff, like the meaning of life and what kind of mark to leave on this world. Great for older readers; I agree with the age 15 suggestion.
Parent Written byJulesReviews June 9, 2014

Touching, Amazing, Heart Breaking, You will suffer, And You Will Love It At The Same Time

I think it is a very touching book, it also teaches life lessons, that not only show that life doesn't have to be perfect, but it also show what cancer can make you go through. There are a few swear words, but if your child is 11 or older, obviously they have already heard them and lets be honest, swear words are a part of life, and they are going to hear them pretty much as long as they live. Its an amazing love story and could also teach your children what true love is, not some Cinderella story.
Adult Written byalisarich May 27, 2014

why being in love ok

i actually just pointing out. how since they are in love, its ok to have safe sex before marriage? looking for books for daughter and this isnt obviously the one. wish authors could make ya/teen books without sex.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 25, 2014

Rarely do they come as good as this!

A heartbreaking cocktail of first love romance and a very humorous tale of surviving that'll still make you tear up near the end, John Green is simply the master of knowing how teenagers feel, and expressing it in a very non-patronizing way. Hazel and Augustus are real, sarcastic teens with flaws, and he makes you fall in love with them! I can't wait for the movie version! I know several girls who wrote this for their English term paper, so expect this rather masterwork to be your child's curriculum in 5 years.
Adult Written byerikaa1 May 12, 2015

Surprising

the fault in our stars is a romantic/emotional book so if your planning to read it to your family I say you choose another book.
Adult Written byjamesf2 April 22, 2015

Bad

Horrible book
Educator Written bysixthgradefun April 2, 2016

Great book for teens

John Green is an author who kids are already connecting with across various platforms. He makes videos on YouTube, has a blog, and seems to really "get" the kids he writes for and about. This book is a great example of how he "gets" kids. He writes about struggles, concerns, and thoughts that kids already have. The book is sad, but it's an interesting way of developing empathy that may come in handy later in life. As a middle grades educator, I do not put this book on my shelf for any student to check out. My biggest concern isn't alcohol or language, but the one sex scene in the novel. It isn't graphic by any means--it's maybe a page long--but it does mention the use of condoms and how the characters struggled to understand how to use one. I think this title is best for high school and up.
Parent Written bytyvieonr March 3, 2015

Great For advanced readers

I'm 11 years old and I have read this book . This book may be good for advanced readers my age.
Educator and Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byMWalski May 25, 2016

Keep the tissues close by!

This book is a heart felt account of living with cancer at a young age and readers will connect with Hazel and will cry every time she has a setback and ends up in the hospital. You want her and Augustus to work out and fall in love because they are so darn sweet together. Parents should know that there is one small sex scene but it is mostly off-page and the next morning Hazel reflects that it wasn't what she thought it would be. I have this book in my middle school/high school library and the girls love it.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written byEmily55555 November 22, 2015

Everyone should read this book

One of the best books on the planet. Seriously. My big take away is that love requires vulnerability. It's a powerful concept and the characters in the book are great examples. The content is appropriately mature because being broken and vulnerable is messy and complex and real. I suggest parents read it first and then decide if the content is okay for their kids.
Adult Written byryleeg July 9, 2015

Truly an amazing and heart warming novel

I adore this book for many thanks reasons.I've never read a book that passes the pain on to you and makes you feel emotions that these fake characters never actually had and that is breath taking.This book makes you crave the feeling of being loved by another individual and gives you the same feeling of heart felt and lost that the charters felt.I think its crazy how john green makes these fictional characters up and has them feel so much emotion and when your reading passes the emotion down to you.I've never felt something so vivid and real while reading this book.This book really makes you question and compare and makes you appreciate all the good things in your life.I have so many other reasons that I envy this book and I could go on and on about the passion I have for this book but that would take hours to fit all my emotions of this book in this review and quite frankly I don't think anybody would read a review that long.
Parent Written byqueenb912 May 30, 2015

The best book ever

This book and the movie is on point, on absolute FLEEK, and the best thing I ever watched/ read.
Adult Written byemilobyloo8341 April 26, 2015

Amazing

The Fault In Our Stars is a book about a 16 year old girl named Hazel. She has been diagnosed with lung cancer and attends a cancer support group. Hazel hates support group but soon realises that support group isn't a bad idea after all. Hazel meets a charming and witty boy named Augustus Waters. Augustus has has osteosarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer and has recently had the all clear. Hazel and Augustus embark on a roller coaster ride of emotions including love, sadness and and romance. Hazel and Augustus travel to Amsterdam in search of Peter Van Houten, the author of An Imperial Affliction(their favourite book). Whilst on their trip Augustus breaks some heartbreaking news to hazel and both of their worlds collapse around them.
Parent Written bySaraColorado July 21, 2014
Educator Written bysweet_lily_850 October 27, 2015

The Fault In Our Stars

The Fault Of Our Stars was mostly about this girl name Hazel that is close to dying soon. So she goes to a place, and met a friend name Augustus. He also has this kind of disease that makes him vomit sometimes. In this book its about Hazel trying not to get near to dying with some help with her new friend. With this type of pain is that Hazel can't breath. She needs this machine to help her breath and not be able to die. She has been trying very hard to help herself and get cured from this sickness. At the end of this story Hazel Grace will learn the most important thing in life, death. Read to find out what happened to her best friend Augustus Waters.
Adult Written bymeredithgwallace March 30, 2015

The Fault In Our Stars

I’m writing my review about the book The Fault In Our Stars. The book The Fault In Our Stars was written by John Green. He published the book in 2014. The book was rated with four stars out of four. I strongly agree with this rating. It was also the number one fiction book sold and read in 2014. In my review, I’m going to talk about the characters, plot, and about how the characters behave throughout the book. I’m going to start my review off with telling you some of the main characters and some facts about them that’s in the book. One of the main character is Hazel Grace Lancaster, a 16-year-old teenager with thyroid cancer that has spread to her lungs. Another main character is Augustus Waters he lost his right leg to osteosarcoma. I found that Hazel Grace Lancaster was a very strong and brave character to go through all the health issues her and her family went through. I also found that Augustus Water was also a very strong and brave character to go and have his right leg amputated because he had osteosarcoma. Next, I’m going to start talking about the plot of the book. The plot of the book is fascinating it really shocks you at the end. In the beginning it goes on about telling us about Hazel and about how she has to go to this support group. Support group is where she met Augustus, how she met Augustus was when Hazel and Augustus bumped into each other. After the support group was over Augustus told her she was beautiful and she just laughed and said no. Well in the middle Augustus and Hazel fell madly in love and they took a trip to Amsterdam to meet one of Hazels favor authors. At the end one of the characters dies. Yeah I know it’s sad, but, if you want to find out who you need to read the book. Finally, I’m going to talk about how the characters behaved throughout the book. In the beginning of the book Hazel was acting very depressed and all see said was that her seeming to be depressed was a side effect of her dying. When she met Augustus Waters she fell in love with him and they were super cute together because Augustus didn’t care if she had cancer or not because he still loved her and wanted to be with her. It was the same with Hazel she didn’