Kid reviews for The Girl from Everywhere

Romantic adventure features time-traveling pirates.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Kid, 9 years old December 31, 2017

Fast-Paced Mythological Adventure Will Thrill Readers

Heidi Heilig is an author to watch for! This book does include mild teenage romance and the thefts that several characters pulled off and get away with, and parents may not want kids reading about that, but otherwise the book is pretty much appropriate. There is one scene where a “fortune teller” shows off what she can do, and mentions that past customers have had futures that aren’t very positive, but it shouldn’t scare kids too much. I finished this book in two days total and read like a hundred pages at a time, and I am excited to see more from a wonderful author with a definitely impressive debut novel!

Educational Value
Teen, 14 years old Written bykristenb. November 28, 2018

This is not worth your time.

This book really disappointed me because it even though it had such a good concept and so much potential, it really fell short. It was written in such a confusing way that it was hard to understand in places it really shouldn't have been. In addition to that it was dragged on unnecessarily for much of the book (there is also a sequel that I already don’t have any hope for based on this book), it just became less interesting over time, and it just goes all over the place unnecessarily. For example - at one point in the story the main character (Nixie or Nix) Is reminiscing I suppose and there are tons of things that are talked about in detail that could have been important to the plot or at least have helped her solve some problems that she had. To me this book was written like a really bad fanfiction and like the author decided to just add two 'love interests' because she thought people wouldn't read it if she didn't. every romantic interaction between her and the love interests is really cringy or cliche. This book does contain a little bit of violence (I believe like two people get shot) but that should be fine for anyone from like 11 or 12 up In this book there is flirting and some kissing and it is implied that one of the minor characters has affairs/ is cheating on her husband which is why I have it at age 13 and up (along with the next point). 13 is like 7th or 8th grade and if your kid is still innocent at that age then they won't be for long. This entire book is made upon the fact that her parents met in an opium den so you can take of that what you will. but know that it is also talked about often enough and is pretty obvious. There's also some mild swearing in this book but it shouldn't be a problem for anyone above 13. Overall I'm very disappointed in this book because it looked so good and really just wasn't. reading this book will just be a total waste of your time in the end. Thank you if you read all way to the end of this very long review. I hope it helps you decide on this book. Also remember that I held back here and could have totally trashed this book but didn't because I don't have time. But keep my warning in mind - this book will be a waste of your time.