Kid reviews for The Girl Who Drank the Moon

Entrancing fantasy spun with magic stresses power of love.

Kid, 11 years old October 8, 2016

i really liked it!

It was really good although there is a little violence. I found the characters likeable and amusing. I loved the little dragon because he was energetic and sings a lot.

Kid, 11 years old April 17, 2017

The Girl Who Drank the Moon

This novel written by Kelly Barnhill is like an anti sleeping pill that will keep you up all night. Each year a family in the protectorate is chosen to have to sacrifice their baby to who they think is a evil witch. She will supposedly destroy the town if there is no sacrifice. There is another side to this wonderful fantasy world straight out of Barnhill’s imagination. The witch Xan who lives in the woods wouldn't hurt a fly. And the only reason that she takes the babies that are sacrificed is because she doesn't want them to die there. One year on the way home from retrieving the baby, Xan accidentally gives the girl magic powers. An inspiring tale that shows a young girl named Luna following her heart as she meets her dreams, The Girl Who Drank the Moon has a classic fairy tale “happily ever after” ending.
Teen, 16 years old Written byspeer April 6, 2017

good for fantasy lovers

ok

Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2017

The Girl Who Drank the Moon

This novel was written by Kelly Barnhill, a master of writing. The book is about a girl, Luna, who drinks moonlight instead of starlight, which changes her life forever. The witch, Xan, watches after Luna as she changes, and her magic starts to grow. By her side is a swamp monster known as Glerk, who cares for Xan. They all live outside the Protectorate in the forest. The Protectorate is a town that is covered with a cloud full of sorrow. Each year they sacrifice a baby to the witch. To them it's a loss, but to others it’s a gift. When Luna was a baby, she was supposed to be the one sacrificed, but, something different happened. Ever since Luna's attempted sacrifice a young fellow known as Antain changed the Protectorate forever. As Luna grows older she starts to run into difficult challenges. Join her on her journey to make decisions and hard goodbyes by reading The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill.
Kid, 12 years old November 16, 2017

Great book!!!

I love this book! Its not for children too young though, or they won't understand much stuff.

Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2017

All-time favorite

This is an amazing book. I love the writing style, plot, and storylines. I checked it out at my local library, and I was hesitant to start it, but as soon as I began, I was drawn in. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an amazing fantasy read, anyone looking for a family read-aloud, and anyone looking for a book that will not let you put it down.

Kid, 11 years old December 10, 2017

Interesting Read!

Every year, on the Day of Sacrifice, the people of Protectorate leave the youngest baby of their village waiting by the edge of the forest as a sacrifice to the evil witch. However, the people of Protectorate don't realize that the witch in the forest is kind and gentle, taking each sacrificed baby to a new village where they can be cared for every year. One year, the witch takes the new baby on the forest's edge and accidentally feeds her moonlight instead of starlight, making her magical. Realizing her mistake, the witch decides to keep the baby for her own, calling her Luna. As Luna grows, so does her magic. And every year, the witch is getting older and older. Meanwhile, there is a man in Protectorate that wishes to kill the witch so the people of the village won't have to give up any more of their babies. And there is also a woman who dreams of having her daughter back. This was a very unique book in my opinion. It was a little too weird for me, but I imagine others that prefer fantasy and suspense would enjoy this novel.
Kid, 10 years old August 12, 2018

About love and kindness, amazing courage, growing up, and also seems to be a classic fairytale

Kid, 11 years old February 20, 2019

Amazing Newbery Book

My brother got me the book for Christmas when I was ten, and I absolutely loved it! There is a strong female character, and the story is overall amazing. There might be some sensitive parts for some people though.

Kid, 9 years old February 18, 2019

The Girl Who Drank the Moon

I thought that The Girl Who Drank the Moon was a really great book because of a few things. 1, I liked it because the author told the story from the perspective of a few different people and even when one person knew something, sometimes someone else had absolutely no idea! 2, I liked it because it had magic, facts, horror, sadness, and triumph all mixed into one big lovely book! I really enjoyed the book and hope that you will read it too!

Teen, 13 years old Written byBentleDolores February 13, 2019

Teen, 13 years old Written bySharpielover August 14, 2018

pretty good!!!

i read this book as a report for school. i didn't think i was going to like it, but it was actually pretty good. :)