Kid reviews for The Gollywhopper Games

The Gollywhopper Games Poster Image

Very stereotyped

This books overall message is ok, but the stereotyping is waaaaaay too much. First of all, the character named Bianca, is always dressed in a bikini, and the boys are always drooling over her. Her stereotype is that pretty girls can’t be smart. Which is obviously not the case. She is always being portrayed as dumb, and unintelligent. To top it all off, she is obsessed with being a super model! How stereotypical is that?!? Our next stereotype is with LITERALLY ALL THE BOYS IN THE BOOK. they are alllll, and I mean all, obsessed with sports, and are all rowdy and good in school. Honestly, this book is boring to read it’s all the stereotyping. I know this is petty, but another time in this book, a message said “its” and was referring to someone, and all the kids all assumed it HAD to be a he or she! This book might as well have been written in caveman times, please be more gender inclusive! Like there are More than 2 genders people! So the overall message is ok, but it’s just stuck in the past and boring with all the stereotypes.

good

this book is very good for older kids but might be too violent for little kids gil is one of the best role models because even though his father was in jail he still wants to win from the place where he was aressted (golly toy and game company.) Even though some of the kids cheat it is all good in the end

IN MY TOP FIVE FAVORITES

The Gollywhopper Games is one of the best books I have ever read in the genre of mystery. I would put it in my top five books EVER! It is fast paced, exciting, and you never know what will happen to Gil. It is by far my favorite Sunshine State book for 2010! The best part, in my opinion, is when the Golly officials disqualify Rocky for cheating by his dad giving him signals like coughing or moving his hands like in baseball. I also like the part when the Golly president, Bert Golliwop Jr, had fired Gil’s dad, Charles Goodson, for sending himself $25,000 through a computer (even though he was found not guilty),but then he gave Mr. Goodson his job back as vice president because they found out that Rocky’s dad really did it. The moral of this story is cheaters never win, or honesty is ALWAYS the BEST policy.

not rated for age

A great story!

I loved it! A boy enters some games so he can get money to move. This story has some puzzles in it and one at the end. A must read for both boys and girls!