Kid reviews for The Graveyard Book

Tale of boy raised by ghosts is both creepy and warmhearted.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypussycat123 November 14, 2011

Need to Read! (especially at halloween.)

I just finished reading this book, and its one of the best books i have read besides the harry potter series. i got kind of confused in some parts. but most of all a very good book to read.

Teen, 13 years old Written byelreader46 October 23, 2010

perfect for halloween

For once the common sense media is wrong. this book is good, but it is also really creepy. too dark for young ones like 9 but it has a good rolemodel, but it is really violent.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJo86 July 2, 2013

Captivating and delightful.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite books. Although it has a little violence and might give you nightmares at night, it was captivating and delighting, and I couldn't put the book down. I recommend children ages 12 and above to read it. It has a strong message and will surely be beneficial for children's learning.

Teen, 16 years old Written byShinteea December 5, 2017

BOOOORRRINGG

i had to read this at school when i was 11 omg its so boring
Kid, 9 years old March 20, 2015

This book should be rated in the top 10 books of all time!

Creepy at first but it then progress's into a wonderful story!

Kid, 12 years old February 28, 2012

A MUST READ!!

After I read this book, I desperately longed for more. I have never read a book so compelling and suspenseful. It kept me up at night, and as soon as I finished it, I wished there were more pages.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhaleybobailey November 6, 2010

Kind of sad, but has good messages

I liked this book, but it's a little confusing if you dont pay attantion to the plot because it scips years from chapter to chapter. The ending isnt what you excpect, but its not happy or sad. Its also a little depressing because Bod's parents and little sister are mudered

Kid, 12 years old January 15, 2013

Graveyard Book: Dark, dazzling, and daring

If your family was murdered by a single man, but you managed to escape in a hot pursuit to a cemetery which actually turned into your new home? You must be Bod, the gallant protagonist of this dark comedy that builds on what Neil Gaiman writing his hit story Coraline. Graveyard Book is very easily Gaiman's best novel yet, mixing his dark senses of wit and humor with heartfelt characterization and messages, with enough quality and zest to snag a Newbery Medal! And that should be your wake-up call to get out of your graves and go check out this hands-down amazing to-the-afterlife-and-back romp. I'M DEAD SERIOUS.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette February 22, 2012

Magical!

Such a positive story! So sweet!

Teen, 13 years old Written bymnsymphony June 12, 2010

Defininently not his best yet. But it's definently up there!

Awesome. A tad violent, but it is a bit too violent for little kids. Fans of Neil will NOT be disappointed. Still not his best.

Kid, 9 years old December 8, 2017

After Reading This I Finally Understand Why and How Neil Gaiman is so Popular

A great and definitely fun book to read around Halloween. Very creepy for younger kids under probably age 10. NO MATTER WHAT, THIS BOOK CANNOT BE CLASSIFIED AS A MYSTERY BECAUSE OF REASONS THAT THE SOLUTION OF FIGURING OUT WHO THE MURDERER WAS IS JUST CLASSIC SOLUTION AND ABSOLUTELY WAY TOO EASY SO NO OFFENSE JUST DONT CONSIDER YOURSELF SMART WHEN YOU FIGURE THIS OUT. Neil Gaiman is a master of young adult literature than cannot be outdone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGunnarman February 12, 2010

Great book for fantasy lovers!!

This book is great!! I have a good perspective on what kids whould watch out for. I really enjoyed this book because it is confusing at certain parts in a chapter, then the pieces come together and you get hyped up and want to keep reading it forever. Definitely read this!

Teen, 14 years old Written byGhostBunny March 4, 2014

Enjoyable, non-spooky, but weak ending.

Really enjoyed this book, read it when I was around 11. I think it'd probably be appropriate for the average 9-10 yr/old. I didn't find it spooky or creepy at all, and it was a very unique book about a little boy who, after his parents are killed when he is still wearing diapers, gets adopted by ghosts and he lives in their graveyard. This book kept my interest cover to cover and I definitely enjoyed it, although Neil could've done more with Nobody's girl-friend, and Silas' character, also. Maybe more explanation on the murderer, and why his parents died. Overall, I'd still recommend this to my friends now, still.
Kid, 9 years old February 11, 2014

READ THIS BOOK!!!

Really awesome! This book interested me a lot. It has all the elements needed for a 5 star rating. Read this and all other books by Neil Gaiman.
Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2014

graveyard book

Such a winner!Kids will LOVE IT!

Kid, 11 years old May 31, 2010

Good Book!

I read it in reading class, and it was really interesting in my opinion.

Teen, 14 years old Written byDravenW August 6, 2017

Sweet, Beautiful, and Creepy. The Best Book I have Ever Read!

This is a wonderful book, but definitely has some creepy parts to it. I was forced to wait a few years before I could read it, no matter how much I wanted to. The wait was well worth it. Reading it at an older age was better because the parts that are creepy, were creepy for me as a thirteen year old. They weren't over the top scary, just unsettling. All things considered, this is the sweetest book on the planet and is so fantastic and amazing it's hard to express it fully!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMarina Pena December 3, 2014

Most interesting book I've ever read

This book is creepy, creative and enjoying to read, it's one of my favorite books, with an amazing story to it!

Kid, 12 years old December 10, 2012

Interesting Book!

At first I didn't really enjoy this book, but when I started to get more into the actual message, I really started to like it. Mostly, the violence is at the beginning and a small section at the end. On the other hand, I think kids who understand the world, will really enjoy this book! It does involve some drinking, but not to much that it influences anyone! Yes, I would recommend this book to other children!!!! :)

Kid, 11 years old February 8, 2011

Chilling but good

I really enjoyed this. I think most kids ten and up will be fine reading this as they watch a whole lot creepier stuff in movies. My only concern is the man Jack. He is fairly creepy, and the whole book takes on a creepy tone, what with the majority being set in a graveyard. The book starts out with the elusion to the murder of a family, except the little boy who escapes. The boy, Nobody "Bod" Owens, guardian is a vampire, this is never said outright but there are several references to it, such as the fact that he only eats one thing -- and it isn't bananas -- and he can sway people's minds. Some parents might not like this, and should know in advance. Also, there is a detailed description of the drowning and burning of a witch. Finally, one girl who is a bully uses her influence over her uncle, a policeman, to get a boy arrested. Sensitive readers may be upset at the ending. Bod's friend, Scarlett, chooses to forget him and Bod starts to be unable to see the ghosts, ghouls, spirits, etc. of the graveyard. Beyond this the story might have more appeal to boys than girls, the main character of the story being, for the most part, a fourteen year old boy. Kids younger than ten may enjoy having this read to them. Each chapter is a sort of mini story and could be read as such.