Parent reviews for The Great Gatsby

American classic captures romance, debauchery of Jazz Age.

Adult Written byskier53 June 23, 2013

A Captivating Read!

F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby has captured the attention of many audiences for over half a century. His use of symbolism paints an image that many can relate to. Also, his lavish imagery, and point of view style of writing intrigues readers. Overall, what makes F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby such a fantastic book is his use of symbolism to convey relatable themes to any reader, and his captivating writing style.
F. Scott Fitzgerald uses colors throughout The Great Gatsby to articulate certain themes. For example, he depicts Jay Gatsby stretching out to a green light at the end of Daisy’s dock in the beginning of the book. Green symbolizes greed; therefore, the author is drawing on the reader’s personal experience with greed, and wanting the unattainable. By playing on the readers personal experiences, the author intrigues the reader.
Also, Fitzgerald’s lavish writing style attracts the attention of many readers. One of the aspirations of many people is to become rich and famous; and, that is what The Great Gatsby is all about. The author uses lavish imagery to depict the carefree, expensive life of Jay Gatsby. This style of writing draws the reader in because it is exciting, breathtaking, and there is never a dull moment.
Finally, his point of view writing style captivates the reader. Nick Carraway is someone on the outside receiving a glimpse into a new world. This draws in the audience because we have all been outsiders looking in at one time. Therefore, this style of narration makes the reader feel like they are getting a glimpse of something special.
All in all, The Great Gatsby is a breathtaking novel. The author’s use of symbolism to play on the reader’s emotions makes this a relatable story. Also, Fitzgerald’s use of lavish imagery and a point of view narration captures the audience. Furthermore, The Great Gatsby is a fantastic story that many people can relate to.

Adult Written bygreatlitmom November 7, 2018

Themes of female sexuality,

This book is definitely well written and successfully pulls you into the debauchery of Gatsby's world. There were no overt descriptions of sexual behavior. What was shocking and difficult for me to believe was the misogynistic depictions of every female character in the novel. Women are treated as silly creatures whose only value is as sexual objects. They are described only in terms of their sexuality throughout the book. No author with any respect for women could have written such a work. It has the potential to do great harm to the sense of self worth of any young woman who reads it. That is why I feel that it is best read by an older audience. The novel is meant to be a satire on the rich lives of the jazz era, but the moral lesson is lost on young audiences, who will be most affected by tone of flippancy and disgust toward women and sexual relationships.

Adult Written byGairid September 27, 2020

Little people living lives too larger for them

Richly detailed look at America's Jazz Age. Overview about how shallow living such a privileged life affected the characters in different ways. Fitzgerald's writing is smooth and evocative but his characters are poorly realized. His outlook on women is especially bitter. The characters can only see their own lives as worth paying attention to.

Adult Written byDiego H March 17, 2017

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byhollandh October 31, 2014

why did i love this book so much?

Mistake #1: this book is not for a 10 year old. My daughter didnt get it. Which is good because its not for a 10 year old.
why did gatsby impress me so much as a teen? The characters are hollow, the plot is predictable and the tone is pretentious and mildly annoying. Maybe i outgrew it.
Adult Written byJEDI micah February 12, 2013

One of the worst books I've read.

This is one of those books that doesn't appeal to me. Even though it has a kinda simple story line, it is just a romantic novel straight from the garbage. Sure it's classic, but wouldn't it be more of a classic if the dialogue, characters, and story were put together more thoroughly? I wish I could go back in time to tell F. Scott Fitzgerald that!