All teen and kid member reviews for The Great Gatsby

Teen, 16 years old Written byDominicboo1 April 29, 2012

Very overrated.

There are many great American novels. One of my favorites is To Kill A Mockingbird. However this book only get interesting in the last three chapters. You may or may not enjoy this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAimeeCathrynX October 9, 2012

Romantics in 'The Great Gatsby'

I am studying this for a-level and although at first glance didn't think much of the book- looking at it from a wider perspective has given me the chance to think more in depth and has taught me a lot. I love mostly looking at Jay Gatsby and how is a romantic in the way this he creates this whole knew life in a desperate attempt to get back the girl he always loved. Fron the beginning he is reaching for this green light and it is just out of reach and the book as whole is about this man trying to create a past. He is obviously respected greatly by auther Fitzgerald but it ends in deady consequences- a warning from Fitgerald about how by being this type of person it doesn't always end well.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAnnastasia December 18, 2013

Brilliant book, deserves its title as a classic

I am studying The Great Gatsby for AS level and my first read through I was not very impressed, as this book has high expectations. However, this definitely deserves a second read. The book is thin but action packed, evocative and very well written. The use of language is incredible, the commentary on the "American" dream and consumerism is interesting, and characters are so purposefully frustrating when really they accurately reflect the darker sides of human nature and our own aspirations. I don't like the way women are portrayed but I guess it goes with the time and Fitzgerald's own experiences (a lot of parallels between Daisy's character and his wife Zelda, and the forward is brilliantly biting). I particularly love Gatsby's character. Definite must-read for teenagers and adults, although I found the language a little complex and it takes some time to really appreciate. A bit of violence, only really implied sexual activity, nothing very graphic at all.
Teen, 15 years old Written bynerdgirl31 April 12, 2013

Must-Read for Teens

This is by far one of the most amazing books I have ever read. The only reason to keep a kid from reading this would be that it IS a bit hard to understand, as some words may have you doing a double-take. If they are intelligent and 13, however, they should be able to understand it and enjoy it. There is some violence, and the story is extremely sad, but a good sad story at that. I would recommend it to anyone age 13 or over. Not too much inappropriate material; a bit of sensuality, a lot of drinking, and some violence. A definite must-read for anyone who is 13 or older.
Kid, 12 years old June 2, 2015

Mature 12 year olds and up

there are some themes that young or immature kids may not understand
Teen, 13 years old Written byjulia90878 April 27, 2013

Julia90878:)

I am 13 years old i did not enjoy this book that much. I guess it is just my opinion but there was some sexual and violent parts to it that i did not enjoy. i would recommend this book for ages 15 and up. A book that i recommend though is To Kill A Mocking Bird that book is excellent you will love it. :) hope this helps
Teen, 16 years old Written byAminata September 24, 2012

Good Stuff

I think this is a good place to find things out and I think all of you should check it out.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycbar04 April 4, 2016

classic american novel

I have only read the first few chapters of this book, but I can tell you that it is an amazing, perfect novel that, in essence, makes it a great American novel. Gatsby's search for love and success is beautifully written and F. Scott Fitzgerald is amazing. That being said, it does make reference to extramarital affairs, drinking, and smoking. While sex itself isn't explicitly mentioned, it is mentioned that they are in relationships. Overall, the Great Gatsby is probably one of the best books ever written in my opinion.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCrosenberg December 16, 2015

The Great Gatsby

“[Gatsby had] an extraordinary gift for hope, a romantic readiness such as I have never found in any other person and which it is not likely I shall ever find again” (Fitzgerald 2). I am almost worried to give my opinion on the great American classic The Great Gatsby. Published 90 years ago and still beloved by the world of literature, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is a literary work of art. Fitzgerald, the author of several other novels including This Side of Paradise, Tender Is the Night, and The Love of the Last Tycoon, based this novel in the 1920s, also known as the Jazz Age. “F. Scott Fitzgerald called it a time when "the parties were bigger, the pace was faster, the buildings were higher, the morals looser”” (PBS). Fitzgerald captured the ’20s in full swing when he wrote this renowned novel, and he did it in such a way that require me to grant it a 4 out of 5 star rating. When Nick Carraway moves to West Egg, New York to learn the bond business, he moves into a crowd surrounding him the very wealthy. He first is introduced to friends when his cousin, Daisy Buchanan, invites him to her home for tea in East Egg, just across the bay. This is where he meets Daisy’s husband, Tom, and her friend, Miss Jordan Baker. This is also where Nick learns that things are different in East and West Egg compared to Minnesota. Daisy and Tom have obvious marital issues, and Jordan knows all the gossip on them and about a Mr. Gatsby who lives just across the bay. Nick’s curiosity grows about Gatsby as he hears more and more gossip about him. “I believe that on the first night I went to Gatsby’s house I was one of the few guests who had actually been invited.” Nick then explains that “people were not invited- they went there.”(Fitzgerald 41) Gatsby’s mansion was a place everyone went to be social. People came to take advantage of the expensive food and drinks always served, to have fun, and to forget the woes and worries of the world. The funny thing though, was that most people didn’t know Gatsby specifically. When Nick arrives at the party, he sets out to find him before the night is over and is surprised to meet him by randomly socializing. Normally when a story is shown through the eyes or perspective of one person, in this case, Nick, the story is about that person. In The Great Gatsby, you’ll find that this isn’t entirely the case. Nick is used as a prominent enough character that he can be called a main character but the story revolves more around the lives of his friends and more specifically, Gatsby. Fitzgerald’s characters differ from the characters in many of our modern-day novels because of the time period that they live in, because of this, and the fact that they are fabulously wealthy and prominently know throughout their own crowd, I think that they aren’t as easy to relate to. The Jazz Age came after WWI when people were trying to forget war and were trying to start a new life free of death and fear. Because of this, Nick’s friends are carefree and lively. Fitzgerald develops each character with care. Sagaciously he made sure that we knew just what we needed about each person. Just because the characters are developed clearly and carefully doesn’t mean that I have to like them. I wish F. Scott Fitzgerald would’ve changed is how likeable the characters are. I understand why they have so little morals. It goes with the era and how people were back then. If Fitzgerald had changed this aspect eve a little bit I think that the book would’ve been more celebrated. “None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable” (Vulture). Throughout the unraveling of the story we watch and learn about Gatsby’s undying love for Daisy and what measures he took to be with her. We see the contrast of morals between Nick, Gatsby, Daisy, and Tom. A master with the pen, F. Scott Fitzgerald superbly painted pictures into our minds, creating this spectacular piece. Something that made The Great Gatsby so interesting was that the plot was never what I was expecting. I always was left to guess what would happen next. The book was based on an event that really could’ve happened. This factor made it so interesting to read. It made me curious to see how this great American author would conclude his well-known novel. Fitzgerald could’ve taken his book in so many different directions, but I am glad that he chose the way that he did. Beautifully written, Fitzgerald’s novel The Great Gatsby should be read by all people at some point in their lives. High school students and older would understand this work the best and be able to begin to appreciate it for what it is and has to offer. I have benefitted from reading The Great Gatsby because it gave me the opportunity to dip deeper and try to understand the meaning. I have grown from reading this book. Fitzgerald’s final words at the end let you rest with a solemn lesson to be learned. “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” These final words teach us a lesson: that our pasts will always be a part of us. We can never fully escape what we have already gone through. It will always be with us. We are all like Gatsby in a way because we have left a mark in time. Though we may feel small and insignificant, our tiny ripples in the water continue to roll throughout time and will continue to as we constantly move forward in life. Works Cited: Fitzgerald, F. Scott. The Great Gatsby. New York: Scribner, 2013. Print. Schulz, Kathryn. "Schulz: Why I Despise The Great Gatsby." Vulture. N.p., 06 May 2013. Web. 17 Dec. 2015. "The Jazz Age." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2015.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAstoria November 11, 2015
I think that The Great Gatsby is a wonderful novel but a little hard to understand at times.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymp3peacetv January 26, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byminecraft geek October 30, 2013

13 point of veiw

For being a 13 year old I honestly think its complex. Although it gives a better understanding of the Jazz Age I just feel it was too hard to understand.
Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2013

Amazing classic!

This book is a great book, and I enjoyed reading all of it. It does, however have a bit of foul language, plenty of violence, and a very sad ending. It does teach kids more about the 1920's though, and if your kid is mature enough then this is a must read!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJesusFish May 6, 2013

Classic.

The Great Gatsby is one of the best books of all time. Very little swearing, a lot of drinking (come on, it was the 20's) and one violent scene. It might take awhile to get into, but afterwards Gatsby and Daisy's story is extremely satisfying.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJayyfreeMouse November 18, 2012

Critique

The Great Gatsby is one of the many novels written by F. Scott Fitzgerald This book was organized perfectly and had a beautiful and insightful storyline. I can see why this book is labeled as an American classic. Fitzgerald was billiant to have had a such an understanding of lives that are corrupted by money and greed, while others are struggling to get by. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good story about the american dreams of money and true love.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylorcii24 March 30, 2016