Kid reviews for The Great Gatsby

American classic captures romance, debauchery of Jazz Age.

Teen, 16 years old Written bycbar04 April 4, 2016

classic american novel

I have only read the first few chapters of this book, but I can tell you that it is an amazing, perfect novel that, in essence, makes it a great American novel. Gatsby's search for love and success is beautifully written and F. Scott Fitzgerald is amazing. That being said, it does make reference to extramarital affairs, drinking, and smoking. While sex itself isn't explicitly mentioned, it is mentioned that they are in relationships. Overall, the Great Gatsby is probably one of the best books ever written in my opinion.

Teen, 16 years old Written byhurriedpiano1231 May 26, 2021

AMAZING

The Great Gatsby is a timeless book that can relate to almost everyone of any age and class. The literary device keep the story from falling flat, and add dimensional meaning to the characters. The perspective of Nick Carraway being relevant to the plot but still being an outsider is relatable and creative. We have all felt like outsiders to people who live lavish lifestyles like Jay Gatsby. I had to read it for school, but I stilled enjoyed it. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a captivating story to read. 5 stars!

Teen, 13 years old Written byHoll May 6, 2021

Amazing!

I know that since this book is a classic, it's a little intimidating. But it's not a difficult or long read. It can be done in a day. The language is not overly complicated and the plot is exciting. I personally, loved it! It's excellent! The message is strong and interesting, the era is divine and the characters will make you feel like you've met them in real life. Perfect!
Teen, 17 years old Written bykatnisslovegood April 19, 2021

Gatsby isn't that great

Three people are killed. One person is run over by a car, and the description is pretty gruesome. Gatsby and Daisy (who is married) have an affair. Gatsby cares about nothing but partying and placing Daisy on a pedestal. I don't remember there being much swearing. There is drinking.

Teen, 14 years old Written byRiverstix55 March 31, 2021

Well written but it sucks.

I read this book and it is well written. That is the only good thing to say about it. The characters are either horrible people or could be replaced by plastic bag. The women are treated horribly. All the characters just seem to be fine with all these atrocities. The plot is dumb. It just sucks.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytheatrekid July 5, 2020

Wonderful and Outstandingly Poetic

This is a high school book that I actually thoroughly enjoy. The captivating language fills your mind with bright colors, soft voices, cool breezes, the sun on your face, the scent of champagne, and all your senses are awakened. It is immersive and wonderful. It is a giant allegory about money and love, and the characters are something else. A must-read, and truly gorgeous.

Teen, 16 years old Written byigasai47 January 16, 2020

My opinion

Obviously it is an American classic. A lot of high school students have read it and I am very biased. I love classical books but it just wasn't for me. I gave it a 2nd try to possibly change my mind but I just couldnt get into it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byJohn343 November 18, 2019

its trash

honestly i think this book sucks and that it is a waste of time reading especially in high school.... ITS TRASH

Teen, 14 years old Written bydaisybeattie101 May 24, 2019

Good but a little difficult to understand

It was a good book once you got used to the older style of writing but I had to really focus on what was actually happening. It is quite a short book but a little slow-moving. Apart from that, I really did enjoy it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheBookNerd413 March 17, 2019

!!!

ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS EVER!!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byizzyshap February 25, 2019

Most well-written book I have ever had the pleasure of reading

The Great Gatsby is not only insightful and captivating, but it is exquisitely written. The moral decline of wealthy Americans is portrayed through complex symbolism and perfectly executed characters. The characters are not supposed to be perfect or complex, they are shallow and ethically flawed because that is what Fitzgerald was trying to portray. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is willing to dig deep into the symbolism and close-read the passages.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBrigidArmbrust November 27, 2018
Teen, 14 years old Written bytswizzle November 10, 2018

A Review by a Teen. (Warning- spoilers)

Really, the only reason that you should be fourteen to read it is because you probably won’t understand what’s going on otherwise. Also, that one part where Mrs. Wilson gets hit by a car is pretty graphic. Other than that it’s not very inappropriate.

Teen, 16 years old Written bythemagicconch March 15, 2018

Overhyped

I personally didn't enjoy this book as much as I had anticipate, it is over hyped and kind of average.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAlfy February 19, 2018

uncomfortable

This book was uncomfortable for me to read. I am by no means "sheltered" but I did not enjoy reading it at all. It was very visual, making me feel like I was in the setting, but the setting was a place I would never want to be in. The topic of affairs as well was uncomfortable and gross.

Teen, 14 years old Written byDog Lover November 23, 2017

Great Book

This book is amazing. Read it for my honors English class in 7th grade. (I’m young for seventh since I skipped a grade) One of my fav books!

Kid, 11 years old September 22, 2017

Gatsby

The great Gatsby. the man with a perpetual burst of adrenaline, inspired by that green light at the end of the dock forever chasing, without the merest hint of collapsing and giving way to hopelessness, the love of his life. one of the most inspirational books ever made.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKeeperoftheDoe August 10, 2017

A fun historial fiction classic

This a great book to read, and I recommend reading it even if it's not for a school assignment. It's classic story of normal people's lives, set in the 20's. There is some alcohol abuse, adultery, murder, and suicide, making it ideal for mature readers.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySamantha159 August 8, 2017

The great Gatsby

I love this book anf the movie too

Teen, 16 years old Written byDetroitprodigy April 3, 2017

A Wonderful and Complex Story

The Great Gatsby is by far a wonderful novel, seen as a classic by many and is by far, Scott Fitzgerald's most well known story.
It could easily be said that The Great Gatsby is filled with immoral conduct. It's best suited for a mature reader. The book contains materialistic and narcissistic views and ideologies that are centered around perceptions of the American Dream. Often times considered as a romance novel, there's a much deeper meaning behind each of the characters and how they portray the faults within American Society. In addition to this, the book's time period needs to be taking into consideration as well over what was going on during the 1920's, what was ethical then, and what was immoral then.
The entire book is about the complexity of an array of affairs between married partners and a third-wheel bystander who narrates the story.
The story shows broken marriage, affairs, consumerism, alcoholism, some violence, and minor, indirect mentions of sexual conduct.
The story is better set for older readers as it is very complex and detailed and can be hard to understand and keep up with. In order to fully grasp the novel, an understanding of the time period is greatly encouraged.

Overall, this is a story I enjoyed reading in my English class. It was interesting and very fast paced. However, the constant struggle of the affairs soon became annoying and became dreadful. Despite how wonderful it is, parts of it got quickly old for me. There were minor parts of the novel I did not fully understand without further evaluation for a better understanding. However, this is a must read for all.