Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Hammer of Thor: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2

Loads of excitement plus intro of gender-fluid character.

Adult Written bykblank321 April 26, 2017

Parents "Need to Know More" than this CSM review tells

Why does a "gender-fluid" character not merit mention in the "Sex" section of the review? That is something that "Parents Need to Know", given the wide age range and appeal of these books.

Adult Written byMarian S. November 28, 2016

One of Rick's best yet!

I'm a longtime fan of Rick's books, and this latest one is one of his best yet! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, getting surprised by every twist in the plot. Once I finished, I was eager to discuss it with others! So I was disappointed to see it get such a poor review from another adult. I don't quite understand the consumerism labels, as the book did not encourage me to go out and buy things. I do understand the violence part though, and would not recommend that the very young read this. However, the part that really gets me is that it was marked as 18+. The book did not strike me in ANY way as being rated above a fourth or fifth grade level-which was how old I was when I began to read Rick's books. Sadly, the only reason why I can think of it being flagged as 18+ is due to the presence of Alex. I identify as nonbinary myself, and this is perhaps the first book I have ever seen in children's literature with a prominent genderqueer character. Children who are also genderqueer will read about Alex and realize that they are not alone in the world, that their feelings about their body are valid. God knows I could have used a book like this when I was younger, trying to figure out what made me feel so uncomfortable in my own skin. Alex Fierro is a huge step in representation, and I am saddened that others think this is not appropriate for children. This IS appropriate for children. Children shouldn't be sheltered from queer identities, because some of them ARE queer. It is far from an adult thing. So I believe this rating is unfair, along with its suspiciously one star. In any case, I loved this, and I cannot wait for the third book in this marvelous series!

Adult Written byAnne A. September 15, 2017

Book needs higher sexuality caution b/c it deals with sexual preference/identity

Rick always writes interesting books but I'm disappointed that Common Sense Media didn't alert us with a higher sexuality rating. I'm not pushing my values on people, but just asking that CSM let us know in the cautions.

Adult Written byJewban November 2, 2018
Sexually explicit material including introduction of transexual characters. Fine, if that's your bag of chips, but a warning should be posted for parents who don't want their underage children exposed to this subject matter.

Adult Written byMelanie R. August 28, 2017

Adult Written byTaykroll4 February 10, 2019

Riordan Needs to Keep Political Views out of His Books

So, I’m 14 and I’m currently deciding if I want to go on with this series or not. It is full of politics, and talks about things kids should not be learning about until their older when they can fully understand this world. This book is full of PC culture and talks about Transgenderism and Gender Neuteralism ever other page. There are other remarks that involve leftist ideas, such as cultural appropriation. This is a book for kids as well as adults. Riordan needs to keep his PC agenda out of this. Also, there are also mature religious topics such as atheism and Islam. Arranged marriages should not be in this books! The PC of this book enrages me and I don’t know if I want to go on with it. Parents, if you want to have long talks with your kids go ahead, I’m warning you though. The views in this book majorly contradict mine and I just wish they would stay out. - Taylor