Kid reviews for The Hammer of Thor: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2

Loads of excitement plus intro of gender-fluid character.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySlendyDaMan October 11, 2016

Pretty good, but not nearly as good as the last one

The first Magnus Chase book was amazing. This one is...not really as entertaining and loses me sometimes. Still a pretty good book overall. Magnus Chase cuts off another human's fingers and the book says that there were two pink thingies that flew to the floor. A little bit more for older kids than his first one, which was really a lot more for younger kids like 8 year olds.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhollybob42 June 4, 2017

Great representation, well rounded characters and a great story

This book is incredible. Honestly, I think this is one of the best books Rick has written. The representation in this book is some of the best I've seen, and he bothers to discuss the unfairness of the judgement on non-heterosexual and cisgender kids. For example, the leading characters in the book are an ex-homeless boy (Magnus), a genderfluid-transgender person (Alex Fierro), a Muslim girl (Samirah al-Abbas), a POC dwarf (Blitzen) and a deaf elf who speaks in ASL (Hearthstone). The characters are all well-rounded and are not simply there for their representation. Alex's genderfluidity is also representative of her father's slipperiness and changeability. All the characters have well-developed back stories and said backstories explain their personalities well. The characters are also great role models who stand up for what they believe in, and the great representation means that any kid will see themself in the book. The story is also amazing, and I have learned a lot about Norse mythology from this series. A few points that could possibly be a problem for younger kids- there is quite a lot of violence but it is not terribly graphic, there is a mention of being given a gift the morning after a wedding and what that means. In conclusion- anyone will enjoy this book, from young tweens to young adults. P.S. To the adult reviewer who said the mention of genderfluidity should make the book 16+, you need to be more open-minded. Why are kids more accepting of non-heteronormative people than a fully grown adult?

Written byAnonymous December 16, 2016

awesome book

It is really good , it has nothing to do with drugs.

Teen, 13 years old Written byiz9765 January 20, 2017

I love this book!!!!

U got to look at the subtitles before reading. (laughing so hard)

Kid, 10 years old May 7, 2017

I'm 100 pages in but I couldn't help to notice the scene where it shows the valkryie vision...

they talk about herion junkies doing drugs in an alleyway and it is a kinda graphic scene. Parents: proceed with caution. And the gender fluid is totally okay. It shouldn't be offensive. That's how some people are. It's not bad it's educational. I'll be back later for a full review 'cause I haven't read it all the way through but so far it's kinda violent (decapitation) and has a scene with drugs.

Teen, 14 years old Written byklipspringer July 2, 2017

Great!

This book not only includes little curses (Magnus Chase is still savage though) but also includes positive role models, like a genderfluid person and a muslim girl. I don't understand why it was rated 13+. You're never to young to know about sexuality. Magnus Chase also encourages children to go to college, and is known for his sense of humour. Great book

Teen, 13 years old Written byNa-na cakes January 11, 2018

AMAZING!

This is a great book to read! I am 24/7 reading Rick Riordans books. I definitely recommend this book if you are looking for a modern type book yet it still has old things about it like the Norse mythology. If you like a funny, sarcastic, and humorous narrator, then you would love this series.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBookWorm2018 February 25, 2018
This book is great - it's exciting, fun(ny) and has positive role models and messages. My favorite author Rick Riordan manages to keep it interesting all the way through. But, as this book is centered upon Norse mythology it is on the violent side. Still would recommend this to anyone (who fits the age I have recommended). Now for my extra message: It really, really bugs me when the parents recommend such high ages because of a gender fluid character. In fact, it's good Rick Riordan addresses it. Ignore those comments give this excellent book a try!

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheAnonymous1 December 13, 2018

I enjoy this book.

I really like this book, and I thought that it was an excellent installment in the series. Something I particularly enjoyed was the introduction of Alex Feirro. Alex is an important character. She can teach kids lessons about respect that they may have a hard time learning if they do not see representation. The diverse cast of characters in the books enhance the plot. The 9+ rating is for the mild swearing and some violence (limbs being cut off, ect.). Overall a good book in a good series with a good author and good characters.