Kid reviews for The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale Poster Image

Depends on reader

As someone who read this book at age 12, and fully understood the impact and meaning of the book, I say age ratings don't really work that well. The handmaid's tale is an intense book, scenes can often be uncomfortable, but this is still an all time favorite book. I would say go for it if you or you're kid is aware of big issues on women's rights and is mature enough to handle it . Also remember, most middle schoolers can take more than you think, In the end I would let the kid decide, they are usually the best judgement of what they can handle (I actually picked this book up a year before but stopped and came back when I felt ready). So please have more faith in your kids .

An essential read for older teens

I tried to read this book when I was twelve and ran away screaming. The brutality of the story-line terrified me, not to mention the realism of the actual situation the Handmaids were in. However, now having come back to it, I barely found it scary. It depends on the child, but as long as they aren't scared by potential dystopian situations, and can handle subjects of sex and violence/death fairly well, this book is for them. Not to mention, this book is very meaningful, and whoever reads it will definitely finish it feeling like they've just been on a rollarcoaster. It's an incredible book, and one to read if you're not faint-hearted.

imagine limiting what your kids READ

ok but seriously let your kids read what they like. its a book most kids dont even know what that is just be happy that they reading something omg

Can be educational but has content younger audiences won’t fully understand and may missinterpret best for high school (grade 9) and older

I read this book at thirteen, however it involves dark themes; it contains good role models, but it shows the darkest side of humanity; I personally recon msot fourteen year Olds could handle it. But if they are very sensitive and aren't good with dark themes I wouldn't recommend reading it yet.

A phenomenal novel

The handmaid’s tale is an amazing novel that challenges previously held concepts regarding the status of women within society. Atwood is a great author who uses detail and ambiguity to demonstrate the thought process of protagonist, Offred. Offred is not the traditional heroine, in that she still has fear and a sense of self preservation. The novels foundations are from a tale in the Old Testament in which women must be used as handmaids, wombs for the use of infertile couples of power. Due to this there is sexual scenes, references and suggestive language. However, it allows for a powerful tale that is incredibly relevant to the time society is in particularly with the #metoo movement. Due to the sexual nature and the violent scenes within the novel, older adolescents would be better suited to read this story.

A great book for mature teens

I think this is one of those books that everyone should read at some point in their lives because it's brilliantly written and it makes you take a good look at the world we live in. But it definitely isn't for younger readers because their are a few sex scenes and mentions of suicide, and also frequent use of swearing.