Kid reviews for The Hate U Give

Powerful story of police shooting of unarmed Black teen.

Teen, 14 years old Written bypollydog April 13, 2018

LOVED IT!

The Hate U Give is an amazing book. The whole concept behind the book is what the characters call "thug life" or The hate U Give Little Infants F---s Everybody, meaning when the people higher up in our society disrespect any racial group, class, or other social party, the people in the included in that minority will learn to hate, and after so long of being oppressed, they will get tired of it and will go seeking revenge. Eye-opening, and great conversation starter. The book does have a fair amour of cussing, including "f--k" "s--t" "god----" and a few others. The book also has some sexual content when the main character and her boyfriend come very close to "going all the way". I"d personally recommend this book to anyone 14+!

Teen, 14 years old Written byrzhao101 November 12, 2017

Disappointing

Disappointing and rather offensive. It was also completely dry and devoid of any humor, except for some not-really-funny racist jokes and stereotypes. The characters in this book seem to follow every offensive African-American stereotype out there, as well as a few about other races. The story was so slow; it took me over 2 months to finish it. The portrayal of all the races in the book were plain awful. Definitely do not recommend this book. If you want to read about police brutality, read All American Boys. Don't waste your time on this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvavavoom68 August 12, 2017

Amazing Book -- BUT EXTREMELY HARD

I love this book. It's one of my favorite books in 2017, but there are extremely harsh topics covered, as a shooting is one very harsh issue to read about. This heart-wrenching book makes you very upset about how some people are being treated in the world, and doesn't hold anything back. Remember that this is a TEEN book and NOT FOR CHILDREN. The reason that I put the age fourteen is because it's an accurate age to let your kid/teen read this book. Thirteen is the first year your kid is becoming a teen, and this is a harsh topic that shouldn't introduce them to young adult books. However, there are some pages with explicit/graphic descriptions of certain topics. (Violence, s*x.) So if you even consider to let your teen read this book, please read it with them.

Kid, 12 years old October 3, 2017

THIS WAS NO JOKE THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ.

This was honestly the best book I have ever read. The book at the start is ok, but once Khalil gets shot, you feel like you can’t stop reading it because it’s so good. When I first started reading this book, I was a little confused and had my mom read it first. So when I was reading it and had a question I could ask her. I would concider myself mature, so the violence and language in this book wasn’t a big deal for me. But some parents are a bit more cautions about their kids reading bad words, so just a friendly heads up that’s it’s there. The book really is amazing, and I recommend EVERYONE to read it at some point. This book states all of the problems in our reality today, and puts those problems in a different perspective that most people (hopefully) have never experienced. The Hate U Give really, truly, is an AMAZING book.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDalallipop April 2, 2018
I really enjoyed this book because it opened up my eyes to how privileged I am, and what others have to go through on a daily basis. It had a very interesting plot and was very informative. I think it is so important for kids to realize what is going on around them and this book is so helpful. There is a lot of swearing in the book but not more than most kids probably hear at school anyway. I encourage you to read this book because not only is it a super good story, it also helps you step into someone else's shoes.

Teen, 16 years old Written byIshaJulie February 5, 2018

Black teen

It's a really good book.. You must read it
Teen, 13 years old Written byalexias1627 February 12, 2020

It gave quite and insight into the life of a young colored person.

The hate you give is about a girl named Starr who witnesses her childhood best friend killed by a white cop that pulled them over for no reason. The worst part was that khalli was unarmed and had been doing nothing wrong. Starr feels that not only had the cop assumed they were doing something wrong he had assumed that they were criminals that they were criminals with intent of hurting other people. This story is an amazing story that lets you see into the life of a colored teenage girl and the racism that people like them have to experience everyday. I feel as if the story made me see the way these people feel. 10/10 would recommend.

Teen, 14 years old Written byobsessivereader726 February 17, 2018

This book changed my life.

This book is definitely a heavy read for most teens. However, this book is a modern classic and an unforgettable story of a realistic situation that could happen in present day America.

I think everyone 13+ should read this book because it is honestly life-changing. It will change your perspective of things and how you can view other people. I highly reccommend this book, and quite frankly--it's the best book I've ever read. 10/10 stars.

Teen, 13 years old Written byng123 July 11, 2017

For Mature Children and Teens

This book was amazing. I truly could not put it down. I think that this book discusses topics that your kids should know about. It does include some violence, drug/alcohol (minor) use, and there is swearing. However if you are a teen the swearing will not phase you, it's probably the same language you and your friends use in conversation. This book will incite questions from children about the African-American community as well as police brutality against minorities. If your child is MATURE and 12-14 go ahead, but otherwise I would not recommend it until 14/15+

Teen, 13 years old Written bybook_lover11 June 23, 2020

T.H.U.G.

I thought this book was AMAZING and loved every second of it. Though their is a lot of swearing, I got around it, and I know not everyone can. There also was some content for older kids during kissing parts.You should read this if you are in 7th grade or older.

Kid, 11 years old June 11, 2020

Absolutely Stunning!

This is one of the best books I have ever read! However, you can expect lots of language, violence, and teenage lovemaking. This book is not for anyone under 13, unless the person is extremely mature.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySofabanana May 12, 2020

Just as good as everyone says.

Everyone told me to read this book because it was amazing. They definitely were NOT exagerating. This book is very good and I believe it is a must read. It is about police brutality, which is not a topic that is talked about often in the media so it's good that this book brings light onto the issue. It is just an amazing book, and a total must-read for every teen!
Teen, 15 years old Written byallylynn May 9, 2020

Insightful

This book provided me with a glimpse of the imposing struggles of society on the black community. I have had friends with personal experiences of inequality, yet, I’ve never truly understood the struggles until I read this book. I read it for the first time when I was thirteen. I am fifteen now. I’ve read many comments saying that, due to the inappropriate language and references, young teens should not read it, but I disagree. Young teens may be more mature than you think. They likely already know about many of the topics that are addressed in the book and I believe that being exposed to this information at a younger age helped me to better grasp the concepts.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLilu02 May 5, 2020

Eye opening ABSOLUTE MUST READ

Educational value:

VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC

Great message:

SO POWERFUL!

Violence:

The book is based around a murder. That says it all.
A woman is in a very abusive relationship. She is said to have been beaten and has to stay in a hospital overnight. A boy has to be hidden from a gang or he might be killed. Shooting at party.

Sex:

Many references.

A married couple go into there bedroom and turn the tv and music on loud, there older kids find this gross.
The main character is mad at her boyfriend because he basically asked her to have s*x with him when she had said earlier she wasn’t ready. The main character sneaks out to her boyfriend’s house, they make out, he stops her when she tries to go further. Starr’s dad had an affair.

Swearing:

Nothing a 13 year old hasn’t heard before

Drinking/drugs/smoking:

Drug dealing is covered. One of the adult characters has a drug addiction. Characters smoke. There is one party where teens drink.

If you/your kid are:

Very Mature: 11-12+

Mature: 12-13+

Average: 13-14+

Sensitive : 14+

Note:

12 year old friend read it (and loved it)

13 year old friend who might want to wait a year. (Because of sex content)

Teen, 13 years old Written byainegrace April 11, 2020

Best book I've ever read

This book took me 2 days to read. It's one of the most amazing, well written books I have ever read. It does have some strong language and mature (but important) themes, but I think at 12 years old, or maybe even 11, most kids have already heard the language used in "The Hate U Give". It talks about racial profiling, dealing with the death of a friend, losing good friends, family, and the importance of peaceful protests/ standing up for yourself. It was such a shame when I finished it because I just wanted to keep on reading and find out what else happens to Starr. To the parents, buy your kid this book! If your a kid, please ask your parents to get this. I know I'm repeating myself, but I can't stress how great this book is.

Kid, 9 years old March 16, 2020

I LOVED THIS!

Reading this as a 9 year old already knowing about racism I loved this book! The only problem is (not with the book) is that i saw the movie first so once i read the book i was sad to find that the hairbrush part was not there and when i read the book i was also sad that they didn't add Seven's girlfriend or another love interest who's name i forgot.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDesnuts March 16, 2020

Teen, 17 years old Written bymagkollballer March 3, 2020

FIVE STARS!

I think that kids who are 12 and mature 11 year old can definitely handle this book and movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written byOnetwo February 25, 2020

Good but mature

I think this is an important book to read. The hate you give has a strong story that covers some big topics. If you kids don’t know much about some of the topics you may want to read it with them so they can ask questions. On some pages they cuss or talk about sex or it’s implied but if you are reading this you probably have have heard both those things . Overall great book that is a must read.

Kid, 12 years old February 10, 2020

It's kinda inaproppriate for kids but I love it

It has lots of sex, drug references, curse words, and racist words but it's really good.