All parent member reviews for The House of Hades: The Heroes of Olympus, Book 4

Parent of an infant, 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bycougkay February 2, 2014

Talk to your child before they read

I highly advise that parents discuss their views on homosexual behavior before letting their kids read this book. I believe it is the parents responsibility to teach children. This book introduces a character as being gay. The comment that makes me question whether I will allow me children to read this book is when Jason Grace tells Nico that "you can't help who you are." This is personally not what I believe. I was disappointed in Rick Riordan for telling the story this way.
Parent Written byjoanne.marie August 21, 2014

Great Book!

This book was great! My ten year-old loved it! The book was greatly structured, and the characters felt real. The vocabulary used is more advanced than previous books in the series, so I think this book is for kids ten and up. One character confessed to being gay, and I thought that fit the plot very well. Considering the character faced rejection the entire series, I think being gay and from the 1940's might of contributed to it. A lot of parents are reacting negatively the character being gay, but seem to forget that gay people exist and they are human. Basing a books age rating based on your personal/religious is wrong. I think this book is great for 10-12 year olds, and that having a gay person in there was a great message.
Educator and Parent Written byStefannyJo May 30, 2014

Love this series!

My 10 year old daughter has read the Percy Jackson series, Heroes of Olympus, and Kane Chronicles. I have tried to keep up with her, but it is impossible! I have thought this series is slow and sluggish. I was surprised when I got to the ONE paragraph that mentions BRIEFLY a male character's feelings for another male character. I was surprised my child didn't bring it up. But she has friend's with same-sex parents and several gay relatives. I was glad it wasn't a big deal for her. I am more uncomfortable with the 16 year old heterosexual couples planning on growing old together and being jealous of friendships. I think this more inappropriate than someone stating they like another person! The talking about longing to kiss your boyfriend/girlfriend and hold them. Too much! The book is fun and teaches the lessons of valuing someone else's gifts, learning to believe in yourself, and team work. Thank you, Rick Riordan! BTW, all of you screaming about a gay character...yet you don't have a problem with all of the "half-blood" children running around out of wedlock discovering half-siblings? Hmmm.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bykarree75 December 7, 2013

Not an Approved Author Anymore

While there is not any actual sex, the gay character may raise questions you may not wish your child has to ask from his favorite story. Bad call Riordan.
Adult Written byCollegeStudent13 September 15, 2015

A Note on Homosexuality

Firstly, I am an observant Christian. As a Christian, I try to be loving and accepting of everyone. However, I cannot help being disappointed by some of the reviews about this book. Many people have made awful homophobic comments regarding Nico's sexuality. These comments, like "marriage is only for a man and woman" or "I will not read/allow my child to read these books anymore because Nico is gay", are intolerant and hateful. To people who are saying that, "well, she should just ignore it, if she doesn't like it", my response is that, no, I shouldn't. First and foremost, these ideas are damaging to the LGBTQ+ community. There are people, including children, killing themselves because they do not feel like they can truly be themselves and be accepted. Secondly, many people who express these bigoted views cite Christianity and the Bible as the reason why. This reflects poorly on, and even defames my religion. Anyway, I applaud Riordan for taking on what shouldn't be, but unfortunately, is a controversial topic in children's literature. Kids of all different races/ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations deserve good representation, and with this series, Riordan strives to acknowledge that fact. These books show that there is not just one type of hero. Heroism is defined by actions and virtues, not by race, gender, ability, or sexuality. This is just one of the good messages in this book. The characters are strong; they are all good role models, while still being imperfect enough for kids to relate to. The mythology that is covered gives these books additional educational value. I have tried to be very respectful to all with this review, despite the rage I felt reading some of the reviews. I need to point out one more thing, though. To the people saying that they, after reading House of Hades, have started to dislike this series because its stance on homosexuality does not reflect Christian values: you are hypocrites. Even if you (in my opinion, wrongly) believe that homosexuality is a sin, the objections to House of Hades are not about religion. It is about homophobia, plain and simple. Why do I say that? Because, if you were truly choosing books based on religious merit, you would have dismissed the series after the first part of the first book, when you learned that the entire plot is centered around Pagan gods and goddesses not only being real, but also constantly having extramarital affairs.
Adult Written byitwasakidneyinf... August 11, 2014

DON'T JUDGE

This is an amazing book! All you care about is Nico's little crush. I don't really judge him. The book isn't about his crush! There's a lot more to look forward to! Yes, I was pretty surprised, but I didn't care later on. The people who dislike Nico's feelings towards Percy should feel ashamed.
Parent Written byAwesomelala818 March 22, 2014

Don't Listen to the Hate

This novel is spot on for kids. 100%. Five stars. I've noticed that there has been a lot of hate because of a character's homosexuality, which I think is ridiculous. I don't mean to offend anyone, but despite what the Bible says, people are homosexual in this world. And the homosexuals aren't devil-spawns. It's hard to believe for some of you, but I'm best friends with a gay guy and I am straight. This guy is an amazing person, but is always being discriminated against. I don't mean to drag in my personal life, but I just need to prove the point that in this day and age, it's perfectly fine to be homosexual, and if kids can't accept that, it's going to make life a lot harder for them. I am proud of Rick Riordan for introducing a gay character. Kudos for you, sir. Besides all of this, the fact that the character is gay takes up, like, two pages at the most. The entire plot of the book doesn't revolve around this point. There are other great messages and character development, not to mention hilarious humor. I personally will continue urging all of the children and adults I know to read this book. I don't have any kids of my own, but my tween nephews and nieces are happy that Riordan is showing support for the pro-homosexual movement. Again, I don't mean to offend anyone or their beliefs, but these are my beliefs.
Parent of a 2, 3, 4, 13, and 14 year old Written byavictoria August 26, 2014

Disappointed

I just have to say, I was let down by most of these parents reactions. This book, the series, in fact, is exactly what kids need. It's informative, relatable, and there is nothing that shouldn't be. So what, Nico's gay. Are homosexuals so taboo that they should be something kids be shielded against? They too, are people. It's a scary reality. Face it. You might even like them. To bash this incredible book and author for it is incredulous. And, news flash, your kids just might have gay friends. Nico coming out, sorta, and the other character's supportive response to it actually is something I want this next generation to feel they can do. The Percy and Annabeth scene caught me off guard at first, but it was innocent. Rick Riordan will continue to have my full and loyal fandom loyalty, no matter how many children he maims and throws in hell and maims again.
Parent Written byThanos April 18, 2014

Nothing like I imagined, if your smart that scares you

I am not sure who said this book was suspenseful and action packed; sadly, this is a grave miscalculation. This book failed completely to resurrect any of the excitement of it's previous volumes. I Honestly expected the book to end sooner and I thought He would have checked in with Reyna more on her journey instead of having her just show up. If this next book is anything like House of Hades don't bother printing it and save your money. It might be time to stop piggy backing and create something new.
Adult Written bytezb April 12, 2015

good book!

This book is a great addition to the series- it's funny, educational and entertaining. I couldn't put it down! The only thing that I'd warn against is that it might be a bit violent for younger kids. There's nothing much worse than the rest of the series, though. Even after so many books, there was still more to learn about Greek mythology in this one. I loved it! A lot of people seem to be annoyed that there's a gay character, who has a crush on someone of the same gender- which I think is just plain ridiculous. It's an innocent crush. Percy and Annabeth have been in love, kissing, ect, for eight books now and you're worried because one character has a crush on another? So, so many of the kids reading this series will have someone to relate to. Seeing a gay character won't "turn kids gay", it'll show kids with crushes on others of the same gender that they're not crazy or broken. The reaction to this character is also great- they're supported. It's important for kids to see people being accepted for their differences. I grew up with the Percy Jackson series, and I think I'm a better person for it.
Adult Written bymayaa May 20, 2015

PARENTS DONT KNOW WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT

Adult Written byMeandMyOpinion April 1, 2015

I don't get the hate this book is great

Sure there is a gay character but I don't care and you are blind if you don't see it coming. There is violence but it's an Percy Jackson book. It should not be hated on because it is fantastically written and if it is hated on for a gay character then something is wrong because you can't denie it is an amazingly well written book.
Adult Written byayorgason October 23, 2014