All parent member reviews for The House of Hades: The Heroes of Olympus, Book 4

Parent Written bymygirlsmom9704 October 13, 2013

Disappointed in Rick Riordan!

I am very disappointed with this new book. My daughter who is now 16 has been reading this series since she was 12. She is an absolute fan!! BUT, the introduction of a gay character is very disappointing...and so unnecessary! I am not promoting hate, but I am standing up for morals. My daughter also feels very "Let down" by the author...Why does our society put such priority in being "Politically Correct?" When did the rights of those of us who still feel like it's good and right to teach our children right from wrong and who yes, believe in God's word and it's teachings become less important? My 16 year old has been faithfully reading these books out loud to her 9 year old sister. That will no longer be the case. My reason? Our children, it seems, are being bombarded at every turn by immorality; they are impressionable and it is unnecessary to have this subject matter in a book that the author clearly knows has a young fan base. It is irresponsible, to say the least.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byChristianMom94 October 24, 2013

Homosexuality in House of Hades

Wow! My son was loving this series, but I'm so disappointed with homosexuality presented as the norm and acceptable in this book. That is disturbing to me as the mom of a boy who is just beginning to learn about what sex should be as a gift from God for a married man and woman. I'm also disappointed that Common Sense only briefly mentioned it in their review. I think parents should know so they can make an informed decision.
Parent Written bymom4213 October 16, 2013

Disappointed

Disappointed that my 10 year old has read a book with a gay character in it. She has read all the other books by Rick Riordan and I have read some of them as well, didn't think I would have to worry about this in this series. Not sure if she will be reading the next book. It would have been nice to have some warning since this was never an issue before.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bykarree75 December 7, 2013

Not an Approved Author Anymore

While there is not any actual sex, the gay character may raise questions you may not wish your child has to ask from his favorite story. Bad call Riordan.
Parent Written bythreein1 November 14, 2013

WAKE UP & BEWARE of subtle way of convincing minds

Too bad that some in our culture are trying to portray every lifestyle as "ok". I guess if you don't live by God's law, you have no accountability and nothing IS wrong. At the same time, right and wrong do exist, no matter how the devil has twisted it and made people to stand for truth to appear to be bigots. We ARE called to love everyone even if there is lifestyle disorientation, but those who reject God's law will have to answer to HIM. Not everything that "feels" good it right. The Bible warns that some will still deny God’s existence: “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God’” (Psalm 14:1). Now Abraham arose early in the morning and went to the place where he had stood before the Lord; and he looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the valley, and he saw, and behold, the smoke of the land ascended like the smoke of a FURNACE. Genesis 19:27
Parent Written byjoanne.marie August 21, 2014

Great Book!

This book was great! My ten year-old loved it! The book was greatly structured, and the characters felt real. The vocabulary used is more advanced than previous books in the series, so I think this book is for kids ten and up. One character confessed to being gay, and I thought that fit the plot very well. Considering the character faced rejection the entire series, I think being gay and from the 1940's might of contributed to it. A lot of parents are reacting negatively the character being gay, but seem to forget that gay people exist and they are human. Basing a books age rating based on your personal/religious is wrong. I think this book is great for 10-12 year olds, and that having a gay person in there was a great message.
Educator and Parent Written byStefannyJo May 30, 2014

Love this series!

My 10 year old daughter has read the Percy Jackson series, Heroes of Olympus, and Kane Chronicles. I have tried to keep up with her, but it is impossible! I have thought this series is slow and sluggish. I was surprised when I got to the ONE paragraph that mentions BRIEFLY a male character's feelings for another male character. I was surprised my child didn't bring it up. But she has friend's with same-sex parents and several gay relatives. I was glad it wasn't a big deal for her. I am more uncomfortable with the 16 year old heterosexual couples planning on growing old together and being jealous of friendships. I think this more inappropriate than someone stating they like another person! The talking about longing to kiss your boyfriend/girlfriend and hold them. Too much! The book is fun and teaches the lessons of valuing someone else's gifts, learning to believe in yourself, and team work. Thank you, Rick Riordan! BTW, all of you screaming about a gay character...yet you don't have a problem with all of the "half-blood" children running around out of wedlock discovering half-siblings? Hmmm.
Parent Written byThanos April 18, 2014

Nothing like I imagined, if your smart that scares you

I am not sure who said this book was suspenseful and action packed; sadly, this is a grave miscalculation. This book failed completely to resurrect any of the excitement of it's previous volumes. I Honestly expected the book to end sooner and I thought He would have checked in with Reyna more on her journey instead of having her just show up. If this next book is anything like House of Hades don't bother printing it and save your money. It might be time to stop piggy backing and create something new.
Parent of an infant, 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bycougkay February 2, 2014

Talk to your child before they read

I highly advise that parents discuss their views on homosexual behavior before letting their kids read this book. I believe it is the parents responsibility to teach children. This book introduces a character as being gay. The comment that makes me question whether I will allow me children to read this book is when Jason Grace tells Nico that "you can't help who you are." This is personally not what I believe. I was disappointed in Rick Riordan for telling the story this way.