All teen and kid member reviews for The House of Hades: The Heroes of Olympus, Book 4

Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2013

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! DRAMA QUEENS.

COME ON GUYS ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! YOU MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL OVER NICO. PARENTS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. Cupid forced Nico into telling him a secret Nico never wanted the secret out and doesn't have any feelings anymore. He had feelings in the first place because Percy was his hero. He didn't influence those feelings. You need to seriously stop being so ticked off with Nico. These books are disney for pete's sake! they aren't that horrible.They never cuss EVER. They have great learning value and great positive role models about love of friends. Harry Potter is very inappropriate compared these. Just read the books.
Kid, 12 years old November 21, 2013

Please grow up and read the book

First of all this book is awesome!!! all of you people who keep on saying that this book is not for kids need to grow up( and actually read the book),I mean there are kids who are 11 and are saying this book is for 9 year olds. Parents(mom 4213 especially) and other people if you think this book is not for kids just because there is a gay character you should look at some of the other things your kids are reading. Imagine if there is a kid who is actually gay and they read your review imagine how they would feel. You can have your own opinion keep it off the internet where it could seriously offend someone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byExplodination April 28, 2014

Please, anti-homosexual parents, understand that hate will get you nowhere on this site...

While I know (and apologize) that this isn't a review of the actual book (I may write one of those later), I'd like to give these parents my everyone-is-equal-please-be-kind soapbox speech. It starts with the complaints I've been seeing about the homosexual reference in this book: In the House of Hades, Riordan has set up a minuscule section of the plot devoted to readers finding out that Nico is a homosexual character. In the actual context of the Percy Jackson series, the characters have had a ridiculous guessing game about who (at the time) 10-year-old Nico liked. Finally, they encounter the brutal Roman agent of love, Cupid, who forces Nico to *gasp* admit who he used to have a crush on. When it is revealed that it was Percy, the homosexuality is implied but is never again referenced. Frankly, if parents have a problem with a paragraph of homosexual allusion, and enough of one to label it Not For Kids, I'm not sure what they're doing on a friendly, accepting site like CSM. Just so you know, Rick Riordan published something explaining his motivation to create a character like this. Here's the link: http://www.rickriordan.com/about-rick/faq.aspx Just scroll down until you see the question (How did you decide on Nico's character development in the House of Hades?), then click on it to read the letter. I'd like close by begging parents not to be so hateful on this site. I'm sure that you love, and only want to do what you think is best for your kids, but don't be this extreme; I doubt your child even noticed the reference if they were young enough not to be aware of the issue. -Explodination Reviews with good grammar (Yes, written by someone under 18 :D)
Teen, 14 years old Written byTomas M December 9, 2013

Seriously? So dissapointing.

So disappointing. I used to love this series, and then Rick Riordan had to make a character gay. Wow Rick Riordan, you just lost another fan. Terrible. Don't even bother reading it, it will make you hate the series.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLovethebooks13 November 27, 2013

Calm down people...

Lots of parents are making a huge deal about Nico being a gay character. The book doesn't say anything like "its cool to be gay" or anything to try to persuade kids. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I would say that its good for children reading this book to realize that people have different interests. By the way, Nico had a crush on Percy when he WAS LIKE 10. He has changed. Get that through your head. Percy was like a hero to him. I had always wondered what was always saddening Nico, and I think Riordan surprised us all. Overall this was a very thrilling book. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in mythology of any kind and the past. Read this series. You won't regret it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDubstepdstride April 10, 2014
OK listen up This might not be a good review and this might not be helpful to you stupid homophobic out there. BEING GAY IS NOT A CRIME i have like seven or eight friends that are either bi straiget or lesbian heck i have more than just eiight friends so what if one charecter is gay. he didnt even say he was i could probebly rant about this for hours but im not. thats all i have to sya and as morgon Freeman says 'I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You are not scared; you are an asshole.'
Teen, 15 years old Written byScreennameGirl October 30, 2013

An AMAZING Read

This is another absolutely amazing book by Rick Riordan! Percy and Annabeth have to survive inside a gigantic pit in the Underworld. There are monster battles, of course, but, nothing more than the usual for Rick's books. Also, be prepared for some sad moments. If you've read the last book you know that somebody has to stay behind in order to close the Doors of Death. Well, that's the sad part, as you might have guessed. As for the Nico thing, come on! Why fuss over it so much? It should be a person's choice of who they like and it certainly isn't a reason to rate this one star or 'Not For Kids.' Nico couldn't help his feelings because Percy was like a hero to him. I am straight, but that doesn't mean I should be rude about things like this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPericondPercabeth January 22, 2014

H8ERS GONA H8 DONT LISTEN TO THEM

I FREAKING LOOVE RICK RIORDAN'S MYTHOLOGY BOOKS. Nico being gay just explains why he's been so hesitant with Percy (and he doesn't like Annabeth) Parents & kids that are hating are literally overreacting. Stop hating gay people-it's sickening. You are just setting an example to treat gay people differently. They are human just like anybody else. The book was phenomenal nd as 4 u ppl who discriminate against gay people and Nico Di Angelo,
Teen, 14 years old Written byRuby United October 17, 2013

Good, yet slightly dissapointing.

Very good, but slightly dissapointing compared to the other ones. Note that Nico admits he is gay and has a crush on Percy, and a few kisses between Percy and Annabeth. I'm surprised CSM didn't mention Nico's homosexuality.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNotreDameFan July 13, 2014

I have to make one thing clear. I am a DEVOUT CHRISTIAN!!!!!!!

all you parents who wrote those reviews I want you all to listen up right now!!!!!!!! People have no choice over whether they are homosexual or not. You are born that way. We cant choose our sexual preference. So any of you parents who are preventing your kids from reading a great book just because of a kid with a different sexual preference, STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! And if any of you are wondering, no I am not gay and I dont know anyone personaly who is. Im standing up for those who are gay but are worried that they will be rejected by people like you!!
Kid, 11 years old December 25, 2013

A different review

I have nothing against gay people, but people are just so shocked about Nico being gay. I think Rick just wanted it to turn out differently because everybody suspected Nico liked Annabeth. This book is just for enjoyment. I can't wait until The Blood of Olympus.
Teen, 14 years old Written byyoumundanefools August 16, 2014

Great Role Models

Nico is a great role model to other gay children. This book teaches children that they can be who they really are and that it's okay. I also think that us finding out that he liked Percy gave him a lot more depth as a character. My mom is reading this book to my 6 and 9 year old brothers and they are loving it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySosie98 April 13, 2014

Amazing Novel

I was so entirely disappointed after reading the parent reviews. The fact that parents are not letting their children read a book that contains homosexuality is incredibly absurd. This book emphasizes love, loyalty, struggle and most of all courage. The character who admits to homosexuality in this book undergoes a torturous scene of forced outing, but must admit to his sexuality in order to save his friends. This book is a mainstay in my household and I applaud Riordan for teaching children (and hopefully adults alike) that homosexuality is not a choice or a sin, but something innate, incurable, completely normal and innocent. Why would this character have had such a struggle to reveal himself if this was something he could CHANGE. Stop making a such a big deal about this plot point and realize that this book is a fantastic testament to literature. As a confident straight Catholic girl, I know in my heart that those who reject homosexuality are more likely to go to Hell than those who are, as they everyday, exhibit the deadly sin of Wrath, spurning love and opting for fury. Percy and Annabeth expand their relationship and rely on each other in Tartarus. What's a better message than a guy throwing himself into an endless pit with someone so that she wouldn't be alone. Frank gets buff, Hazel is sweet and courageous, Leo is loyal but sad, and Reyna challenges authority. Read read read. I absolutely loved this book. P.S. I'm laughing really hard at all the kid's reviews who are getting really irritated at the parents. Stop living back in the 40s and get real. Gay is good just as much as God is.
Teen, 14 years old Written byalykanim October 28, 2013

This isn't your same Percy Jackson

People have to realize that this is not the same series. Yes the same characters. But Percy Jackson is 18 now. The Heroes of Olympus is for the readers that grew up from the novel.
Teen, 13 years old Written byapplesaregreat January 15, 2014

Accurate and Exciting

It really angers me how many people are making a deal over a main character being gay. Even if you don't support the rights of homosexuals, you shouldn't discount an entire book series for one very small part about a character that adds serious development to his character of being alone and antisocial. This book doesn't say "Wow look kids it's great to be gay!" All this is doing is helping add development to his character. Many gay kids these days feel alone and abandoned the same way Nico does. This book gives a more accurate representation of what real teenagers would look like. Even if you haven't given the talk about homosexuality to your kids, its such a small part in the story, it wouldn't stick. People need to stop judging this book because Riordan added a character trait that is controversial. At any rate, this is a great book, and it follows the same thrilling theme that flows through all of Riordan's novels.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymlee0607 November 14, 2013

Once again, another success. (Love the series)

This is a really good book....again by Rick Riordan. It is so cool how something new and exciting is always coming up one after another. This one especially is full of mystery, wonder, and adventure.....like all his other books.The only thing that i think is kind of annoying is his humor, i personally think it's cheesy and not that funny. uuuhhhhhh just stop....like seriously. But i love the integration between Greek mythology and the characters are so cool, I absolutely love knowing new things about them. It;s so much fun. Read it, you wont be dissapointed.
Kid, 10 years old November 2, 2013

Poor Nico. It's just because Percy is his hero! He's over it now though! Gosh.

This is not bad! This is DISNEY FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Allyou people! I have never read this before. But I LIVE WITH A PSYCHOLOGICAL FANGIRL NUTBALL CRAY-CRAY SISTER! She tells me about everything. Nico is over it! He is fine! We know that gay may or may not be good but everyone who is upset about it, please do not be. It was only because to some people gay is good and Rick wanted to be nice. Even if you don't like gay, you should still be kind to gay people. From my sister..... "THIS BOOK ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cupid is BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" LOVE, THE psYChO NUTBALL OF PERCY JACKSON SERIES FANGIRL's sister. Olivia (IG: @olivia4everr, psycho sister: @bella_loves_books.
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2013

Best book Ever!

this book is totally the best!! Really funny parts. You learn the true love of Nico DiAngelo's life (not Annabeth)
Teen, 17 years old Written bykitcass September 4, 2014

I grew up with these books, and saying that, I stopped reading them after the Last Olympian because i thought that was it. Turns out its not, and I picked up the newest 4 and read them all in a weekend. When I got to the cupid scene, I had to re-read it about 10 times, I was so excited! finally, a kid like me, in a book that isn't about being gay! I loved Riordan work since i opened the first percy jackson book when I was a little 12 year old, and reading about the same characters who have literally grown up with me is great, but I could never see myself in percy or annabeth, or any character in most fiction. Love triangles make me snore, and most I tend to skip over most romantic sup-plots in books, because I don't care. I'm never going to get a boyfriend, and that's ok. I am so happy with Nico's character, the fact that rick gave us 7 books to learn to love him for his character, until revealing he has a crush on Percy, and moving right along. It isn't a big deal, it's just a part of who he is, and it in no way defines him, exactly how homosexuality should be viewed. Now to address all you angry parents: you probably know a gay person. Your kid could be gay, or your kids best friend. I have no idea why you would think not letting them read this book would "protect" them from the horrors of gay lifestyle, but it won't. Middle schoolers have it hard, they're already trying to figure out who they are, and let me tell you from personal experience, telling your confused children that being gay will send them to hell, doesn't make them straight. It makes them hate themselves, or hate others who don't conform to their (your) way of thinking. Gay people exist, and more importantly, gay kids exist, and need to know their feelings are normal, and who they love doesn't define them. Also for all you religious parents, you do know it's a way bigger sin to let your kids read about Greek gods being real than to be gay right? Everyone knows you don't actually care about your religious moral code, and are just picking what to call sinful to justify your own personal prejudice. It truly gives me hope for the future comparing the kids reviews and adult reviews, as long as kids are integrated into modern society they're going to learn about gays one way or another, and Nico is a fantastic character to start with
Teen, 16 years old Written byMiss Grace April 21, 2014

I don't understand why people don't like it

So what? Nico's gay, I think its great that its accepted, after all, we don't choose who we love, do we? People need to teach their children that its okay to like the same sex. It's not something to shun, its something to widely accept, because, what if your child liked the same sex and you were vocal on your dislike of same sex relationships, your child would be scared to tell you, and would most likely avoid you. It was an excellent book, an amazing read, I really enjoyed it,