Parent reviews for The House on Mango Street

A poetic -- and classic -- coming-of-age story.

Parent Written byDad of a Son September 21, 2016

Misandry

This book is so fragmented, I am surprised it is being used by HS English teachers. No, I am not surprised, for it is being used to inculcate our boys to view themselves as assailants (or potential ones); the book vilifies men. Typical of HS English teachers who want to indoctrinate kids that we live in a rape culture and force male guilt upon our boys.
Only the female characters seem to have any honor.
This book should NOT be used in a classroom setting.
Adult Written by30826 February 19, 2019

Bad writing, confusing, and too short

The house on mango street is a terrible book, with a confusing writing style, a blank slate of a character, and things that happen for no reason, the house on mango street breaks multiple rules of story writing, as it tries to build a community and tell a story in it. The writing style hinders what could be an interesting story. characters appear and disappear, things happen for no apparent reason. i do NOT recommend this book. it is a waste of time.
Adult Written byEndmaSuphering January 2, 2019

It's a Book

The House on Mango Street is not a story about a house on a literal mango street. So if that was what you wanted, don't read it. The book is actually about a girl in Chicago, doing very naughty things. Teachers love to make students read this book. And if by any chance your English teacher is named Mrs. Sloan, then hello there! Have fun doing that assignment! :D

Adult Written by[email protected] February 10, 2015

An Amazing read

House on mango Street is about a girl named Esperanza who has to go through many struggles during what is supposed to be her carefree childhood, but to be perfectly honest that is selling this book short. This book has so many underlying themes and messages that are up to interpretation, one thing I think that makes this book all the more enjoyable. I loved house on mango street for several reasons. One was because of its uniqueness and Sandra’s willingness to be honest and let her self reflect in her writing. I also love Sandras Cisneros's writing style. I Love the idea of short stories that can stand alone and I feel that she has executed it perfectly. Another reason I loved this book is because anyone can relate to this book in one way or another.

Adult Written byBroken and Bleeding November 11, 2009
i am i high school student in texas and i am reading this novel, and frankly i am not in the least bit impressed with it. its a story that has no connection between vignettes and is no more than a collaberation of random short stories. in my oppinion a sixth grader could have written this book.
Adult Written bycxxfxxbxx September 24, 2019

Requires maturity, but incredible and realistic

The House on Mango Street is an incredible book for a plethora of reasons. It seems likely that the reviews written here vilifying the book were done by those that care little about Literature, exposure to different cultures, or stories that resonate with adolescents. Yes, the book contains a very vague scene of sexual assault that will likely only be understood by more mature readers. For public school classrooms with diverse make ups, this is a great book to read. It teaches girls from communities to stand up for themselves and question the ways society hurts them. It teaches all readers to dream big, reach their full potential, and learn from bad situations around them, as well as how what we are surrounded with impacts who we are. Inspiring, thought provoking, hopeful, and heart breaking all at once. If you feel that this book is "inappropriate" I strongly suggest you visit any real life middle school and you'll find that this book is much easier to digest than the real situations many of your children's peers are likely facing.

Adult Written byNicole P February 14, 2018

Take Your Time

I read this book the summer before my Junior year of high school, I was 16. I can honestly say I was in a bad place for many reasons that summer. I remember sitting with this books and absolutely hating it. I thought it sounded juvenile, disjointed, and just annoying. So I completely get where the teens are coming from who are reviewing this book with a lot of anger about having to read this book in class.
However, I started my Junior year and was smug, thinking I would just HATE having to talk about this book. So like most teenagers I learned I was wrong and smug. I learned to LOVE this book. My teacher made me see this book differently in only a few weeks. As I reread passages in class and outside I realized the depth of this book. The vignettes seem simplistic, but don't let her prose deceive you, it is anything but. There is so much depth of feeling and meaning in each. And the vignettes do connect, but you have to go slow and notice it.
I connected to Esperanza, who dreams of more sky and better tomorrows. She gave me hope and taught me about compassion. She is the narrator and voice for voiceless women who hang outside their windows with sad eyes and jealous husbands. She is scared but courageous.
I love how this book feels so raw and sometimes I just read a vignette when something in my life happens and I need comfort. I think her work is very relevant to inner city kids but it is important for all people to read this book because it can definitely develop empathy in teens and adults about the issues Esperanza deals with.

Adult Written byluzSerrano July 17, 2016

Good Book

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cinceros, is a book for the crowd of ages 14+. I personally think it's a good book, the overall message to it can definitely be relatable to many readers. The novel covers the life of Esperanza, a chicana who is 12. She goes from living in a apartment to moving to a house that their family owns in Chicago. Throughout the book she grows mentally and physically. As time goes by she begins writing as a way to express herself and escape the reality of her neighborhood that she's not to happy with. You get the impression that esperanza is a friendly girl who moved into mango street. She quickly befriends Rachel and lucy, two sisters that live across the street from her. As in other girl, Esperanza is growing up and gets a sudden interest in boys noticing her. Thats when she befriends Sally, whos a bit more sexually mature then Esperanza and her friends. Sally uses sex as a way to escape her abusive father. Soon enough Esperanza is ready to leave Mango street. She wants to go away from her sad red house. She understands that writing might be her way out of mango street. I think the overall message is relatable, we've all been in situations when we are the "new kid" or simply just dont like our neighborhood and dream of the day we get to leave. I think the book is definitely one for young kids to red just to get a taste of what puberty can do to you, and how it can make you feel. It also shows that stressing over situations really does you no good, and one day you'll look back on your childhood and wish you could go back to it.

Adult Written bySnow777 April 20, 2021

Some people won't get it, but it is nonetheless a great book.

This book isn't trying to tell a completely cohesive story, its trying to shed some light onto really important subjects in what is probably the most effective way. If it was cohesive, it would remove a lot of what makes this book powerful. So much of this book is just trying to portray to the reader that the tragic things that happen really do happen, and they happen often at that. Its nonrecurring character, after nonrecurring character going through tragedy through the eyes of an innocent young girl who doesn't think too much of it, she's used to it, which makes it all the more horrifying because there in lies the implication that that these things that are absolutely horrid happen over and over. If there was a cohesive story, it would remove so much of the books ability to call the readers to action. They would think "oh its just a story" but its not just a story.

Adult Written byPerson_ December 17, 2020

Horrible Book

Confusing writing style, extremely short, 0/10 . This book was probably one of the worst books I've ever read.
Adult Written byreyess3 March 24, 2020

I think those who don't like the book need to venture out and read stories about non-white protagonists or just stick to what you know

I currently am an English Major and had to read this book for an educational project and I find that the reviews on this book are rather harsh. I read this book not knowing what to expect, but from what I've read from these comments people really are mad that this book is different. Yes, the story is fragmented but do you know what it is like to not know English and only speak in fragments? Yes, this story is at times inappropriate, but do you know what it is like to live on a street like Esperanza? I do not think that these very fortunate critics of the books do. But, of course this is a great generalization. However, if you do want to read something that is within your comfort zone choose a book with a white protagonist! I'm pretty sure someone like Nancy Drew would tickle your fancy.

Adult Written bybrinawilson April 18, 2012

My Opinion & guide Lines.

i think this book isn't for kinds but it should be good for the younger adults in about let's say maybe senior year in high school and not for younger viewers in junior high school.