All teen and kid member reviews for The House on Mango Street

Teen, 16 years old Written by1PS2PI September 15, 2009

Reality's problems are harsh, but it's not selling off sex or anything.

It DOES have struggles of sexual and stress probelms in life, but in the end it's very inspirational and overcoming of trials to reach a gial or dream, and it's a fun style to read, like a girl writing a journal. Very poetic in some chapters and altho the issues are cruel and sexual, it's just a girl trying to survive. It's not like the character is asking for it or anything, so it's not teaching girls to act all... well you know the word.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylilwayne1 November 21, 2008

the bok was enjoyable to read

Teen, 17 years old Written byjoejoe69 May 16, 2016

gud buke

pritie gud buke i wud say. tou miny spelin mastaks.
Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2010

Teaches a perfect lesson

I think that this book is actually good for 11 and up, because this is the real world it isn't always sunshine and dasies,sometimes you have to wake up,and see the big picture,and I think that this book teaches kids that lesson.
Teen, 16 years old Written byarcadeist April 26, 2015

Quite possibly the worst book I've ever read

I'm being forced to read what I can only suspect of being some sort of ancient torture device in class. The chapters have no coherence and can last a single paragraph before going off into something completely different. I can't remember a single chapter in any great detail, despite having to read multiple chapters over and over again in order to create a vignette that somewhat resembles the authors style and is related to my life. Send help.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDaisyLaisy July 30, 2011

Give this book a chance!

You have to go into this book with an open mind or you will not enjoy it. I think the reason people are saying that they dislike this book so much is because it is GRITTY. This book is written from the point of view of a young girl who lives in an poor, largely Hispanic neighborhood, and is faced with many situations that most people would not come across. This book is not butterflies and daisies and girls who giggle during sleepovers. This book is about girls that were unkowningly driving around in a stolen car, who sang jump-roping songs about pregnancies, who were hit by their fathers and husbands, who had to trade money for friendship (although that situation was actually pretty light-hearted and funny). This is an AMAZING book. Don't let the strange, surprising situations unnerve you. Sandra Cisneros is a poetic master who knows more about these situations than anyone else. As a girl who recieved this book on her 12th birthday, I must tell you that the first time you read this book, you might be sickened or bored. But PLEASE! GIVE THE BOOK A CHANCE!
Teen, 15 years old Written bydgfbdbv April 12, 2016

eh is alright but to many hooker stories

eh its not that great
Teen, 13 years old Written byjay1020 January 14, 2014

boooooooty juice

this book is boring due to all the short stories
Teen, 17 years old Written byhb80877 January 20, 2012

Really read it.

I've read this novel for my AP English class, and I believe it is a very good coming of age story. It shows how she feels and you get to see what the author is really thinking. Yes, it is random, but that's the fun of it. It's a very easy read. Any girl around 13 would love to read this.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysophie.curtis March 3, 2011

Helpful For a Young Girl's Life

I first read this book in 7th grade, and it is still amazing to me. It inspires young girls to keep trying and empowers us to stand up for ourselves, others, and for what we know is right. Not only is the story plot great, but The House on Mango Street is a series of vignettes so it gives your child a wider range of variety in what they read. This is not an easy read. The language may be easy, but in order to truly get Sandra Cisneros's story, you must be able to reflect on the passages. I do recommend this book to any one who is willing to go on the journey with Cisneros. If you are thinking about or wanting your child to read this magnificent book, you should read it as well.
Teen, 15 years old Written byalivia_marie January 13, 2011

WORST BOOK EVER!!

YUP... tthe WORST BOOK EVER! For the love of hmanity don't force your children to read this book. I thought about shreding this book after I read it, but I couldn't since its a book I had to read for school. :P
Kid, 11 years old October 24, 2010

Teaches Life Lessons

I like it because it tells people what the real world is like. It tells you what to expect and not think love is just come and show up at your door.This book teaches that lesson and many more.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkk_luvsu April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bykkaarreenn April 9, 2008

1st book i could not put down untill i finished!!!!!!

This book relates to any one in many diffrent ways. Its either something you have been thrue, you think its funny, or its just too good. when you read this book you are going to fall in love with it.You will fell like one of the characters and its going to relate to you as if you are the one telling the story.Esperanza is a young lady that moves all across town.when she gets to mango street,she is so ashamed of her raggity old house and gets her feelings heart because of it.After time she makes friends, but there is one friend that she should of never met....read and find out.
Teen, 14 years old Written byamc August 6, 2014

No Structure, Good Message

This book has a weak story structure and plot and the only thing that keeps this book alive is its message, characters, and theme. The book has great messages towards education and POC living in poverty. As for "inappropriate" content parents are looking out for, it's very subtle and kids 12 and under would probably need you to explain what's going on. It gets difficult to follow through the book at times because of the way it's written and it has no rising action, climax, conclusion or anything. It can get boring and it drags you along slowly but it truly has an amazing viewpoint of the hardships of a coming-of-age teenage girl.
Teen, 13 years old Written byParamoreFan09 December 8, 2009

I'd say 13 and up is perfect...

I'm not done with it yet (I'm reading it for school) but so far it is good. The House on Mango Street is a book of vignettes. For an assignment, we have to right vignettes about our lives, and later will be made into books! It's really fun. Anyways, for this book I'd rate it for ages 13 and up. It would be too hard for younger kids to read, and it does have violence and sexuality.
Kid, 10 years old September 8, 2009

Dont read if you're under 16

I thought this book was suggesting things for young girls to become involved in
Teen, 16 years old Written bythallen123 October 19, 2015

would never read again

terrable dont make anyone read this crap
Teen, 16 years old Written bybreyua November 19, 2010
i think that this is a great book for kids to read when there's nothing else to do it positive and you can learn a lot from this book.bri'A
Teen, 16 years old Written bydavidxmeza July 20, 2016

"Growing Up"

The author of this book is " Sandra Cisneros ". It is a story about a young girl growing up in Chicago, inventing herself, who and what she will become. She takes us through her journey living and Chicago and how her and her family move place to place because something always happen until they finally get to this little red house on mango street to call there own. Although is wasn't whats Esperanza would have expected for her house they had at least owned it. The house sits on a poor neighbor hood were the walls of houses look like they have been sunburned and are starting to peel. I like this story because a young girl that seemed like she didn't have much, that lived where she lived , and struggled like she struggled, even through all that she still didn't give up the hope that one day she would get out of that neighbor hood and become something of herself, witch she did. i recommend this book to anyone because it show's that with the struggle, if your determined that you to can become something of yourself.