All teen and kid member reviews for The Hunger Games, Book 1

Kid, 12 years old March 6, 2011

Only Read This Book If You Want To Call Off Reading Forever!

This book is amazing, and nothing you'll read can top it. Violence? A lot of scary stuff, including people who's tongues are cut out just for disobeying the government. Other violence includes a scene where a character is mauled by dogs, one scene where someone dies from bug stings, resulting in a bloated body covered with oozing pus. Sex? Katniss and Peeta kiss. Katniss is described to be naked in a few scenes. Language? Hell. Drinking, Drugs? Haymitch, Katniss and Peeta's only lifeline in the games, is a drunk beyond repair, that pukes on the mayor and falls off the stage in a comedic scene.
Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2010

FABULOUS! my fave read

well. WARNING: side effects of reading this book may include: skipping meals and sleep to read it, having socks blown off in awesomeness, and reccomending the book so much as to the degree of being a source of mild annoyance to family and friends.
Teen, 13 years old Written byalessandralovesbooks October 2, 2010

Love this book!

Wow.
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2012

Amazing book!

This book is great for kids, but they have to be mature to understand it and be able to handle it. Yes, the book is a little violent, but not as violent as you may think. Sure, it's about kids killing kids, but that's not all. It is also filled with humor, excitment, romance, and so much more. Not the whole thing is bloody and gory! This story is not boring, either. In fact, it's not even close. There are many twists in the plot that are unexpected and exciting. I absolutely LOVE this book! Read it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byIGotTheMagic May 3, 2011

Intense violence appropriate for teens and mature tweens

While this epic tale is intensely violent, that is the point of the story. The educational value of government issues as well as role models and good messages in standing up for others you care about (Prim, Peeta) make this story a little more positive. The violence can come to some extremes and become inappropriate at some points, but you can always flip the page.
Kid, 10 years old February 21, 2011

PURE EPICNESS!

100% WIN! I love the Hunger Games sooo much! It's a beautiful story! Katniss chose to fight for her life without taking away the lives of others! BEST BOOK SERIES EVER!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymymembername October 16, 2010

Great Story, Heavy Violence

The Hunger Games is, as plainly as I can put it, a violent YA novel. I don't think I need to tell you that it has elements that, maybe more easily recognizable for an older age, can be seen as extremely heavy. The heroine of the story is Katniss Everdeen, a strong and fiercely protective young woman (in this book, she's 16 years old) and the caretaker of her mother and her younger sister, Prim, who just so happens to be the reason for the future events about to take place. But I won't go in to that too much, with it being a plot twist best found out on your own. Katniss, although crushed by the terrible death of her father, and the undeniably poor state of her district, has somehow overcome that, not to mention the violent history of her country. She is likable, but not easily likable. She's brave, but stays humane enough to feel rightfully afraid. Oh, and she's deadly vicious with a bow and arrow (hence the name, Kantiss, which shares names with the flower, nicknamed "Arrowhead"). In this story she's paired with Peeta Mellark, the boy chosen from her district as a "tribute" for The Hunger Games. Together they are paired up as "Star-crossed Lovers" and, much later, allies. You may be wondering who is included in the story as the antagonist. I could name a few, but I feel for this book that the main antagonist would be the fearsome Capital, who, basically, are the reason for the Games. Although I am a big fan of The Hunger Games, having read it six times, I have to say that the violence is a little too well-described, and it can be very scary for someone who might have grown up around war (the Iraq War, for instance). I don't believe that younger preteens should be picking up this book, but who can stop them? This book is extremely popular, critically acclaimed, targeted towards that age group, well written, and I of all people have to admit, it's extremely fun. So who should be picking up this book? Well, when I pick up a book that does not seem like something very nice to read, I do the easiest thing, which is to put it down. It's really the reader's decision.
Kid, 12 years old November 17, 2010

A great read, but be prepared to lose some sleep

This is an amazing book. It is very violent, but twelve year olds should be able to stomach it (be prepared for a few sleepless nights, though). There is nudity (though not in a romantic sense), too much kissing, and a couple of uses of "sexy". Katniss is a good role model in the sense that she stepped up to take her sisters place in the Hunger Games, but her attitude at killing is not something necessarily that kids should be picking up (killing a person isn't different then killing an animal). Katniss is very close to death all through out the book, but she keeps going. There is one sad death. Overall, this is a fabulous book. READ IT!!
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2011
I loved this book! The plot is a bit violent. It does involve kissing, too....but nothing to bad! I couldn't put this book down! I've reread it numurous times!
Teen, 14 years old Written byreaderofmanybooks November 29, 2010

Great Book!!

I LOVED this book. I did think it was violent, but it isn't anything to get too worked up about if your kid reads it without your consent *cough* Kay409 *cough*. But I give it 5 stars!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byKallina17 April 3, 2012

Great Book, Not for Kids

I really loved this book. In fact, I read it in one weekend. However, it's not for kids under 12 unless they are very mature. It's suspenseful and violent. It does describe many of the deaths in detail. People are stabbed, shot with arrows, attacked by mutations, there are people who's tongues were cut out, etc. Ultimately the book is about teens killing each other, but there is a bigger message about overcoming even a powerful government, standing up for those you love, and believing in yourself. Very positive female role model who puts her life on the line for her little sister. Overall, kids need to be mature enough to understand the real message of this book. It's not just about teens killing teens. There is a message to this and yes it is depressing, but it's good to learn about. If you are mature enough to handle that and the violence, then by all means read it, it's a very good book.
Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2012

Not as inappropriate as you might think: Please read!

Although the premise of the book (teens killing teens) may cause some parents to turn their noses and shields their tween's eyes, the Hunger Games is not bad as you may think. THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW: Violence: Yes, there are many deaths. Many are described as bloody, but the gore itself is not described- for example, the author might have written something like this: "The boy had blood running down his leg," but she would never write this (I would advise more squeamish people to skip to the next section now): "The boy's leg was split at the thigh, with warm blood running down the leg onto the rocks below, and puss spluttering out like a volcano. The boy's sister watched in tears as her own head sputtered warm, red liquid." See what I mean? Sex (cue 10 year olds saying "Eww, gross!): One girl is described as 'sexy,' but in context it's not inappropriate at all. The main character has recently discussed different possible angles to win supporters. She says that the girl must have decided for her angle to be 'sexy.' There is also some kissing, but it's staged. Language: Not an issue. Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking: The person who is supposed to be training the main character is an alcoholic, and passes out and throws up several times. This is mostly, in my opinion, for comic relief. There is several passing mentions of adults drinking. Positive Stuff: Well, it's my favorite book ever (and I read A LOT of books). Also, it has caused many kids in my grade to become avid readers. There is this one boy who, prior to his reading The Hunger Games, barely read at all. Now, he not only reads the book several times a month, he has also found a genre of books he loves and is discovering other books. This story applies to many people I know. This book really is hard to put down, as are the sequels. Please let your child read this! (Oh, and don't forget-- it's a good book for parents too.)
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook May 11, 2010
Parents need to know that this book is violent. 22 teens die, what do you except? One had me in tears. One girl's look is described as sexy. The main character is told to pretend to like a boy to enhance her image. They kiss. The books is interesting and thought-provoking. Worthy of books like The Giver.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRisaRae20 December 3, 2010

perfect for kids mostly 10 and up! great for kids who like adventures

i loved this book! i couldn't put it down for even a min. i read it on the bus to and from school, i read it the sec. i got home, all the way untill midnight most nights. i did this for 2 strait weeks. in those 2 weeks i read all three books non-stop! i didn't get my homework done sadly but it was the 6th best 2 weeks of my life... other then my 2 week vacations to Hawaii and Japan :)
Kid, 12 years old November 23, 2015

Too many violence!!!

You need a certain level of maturity to read the hunger games!!!! Tooooooooooo many violence for younger kids!
Kid, 12 years old September 9, 2010

AMAZING!!!!!

This is the best book series I've ever read in my life. It seems really gory, but it's not just about killing and it's not that violent AT ALL. It was so sad when Rue died- I was crying. Gale is my favorite character, but I love Cinna, too.
Kid, 11 years old September 17, 2014

Hunger games

Fine for 11+ the whole series was epic!, but if your overprotective parents read it first then they might not let you watch it.
Kid, 10 years old April 4, 2012

Is it any good at all ?!

It's Amazing!!! I love this book along with the other two. Suzanne Collins' book is amazing!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT !!! It may be super violent but, it's great to read. Most of my friends love it. It's amazingly detailed and it's soooo good. I read it like 50 times
Kid, 12 years old April 2, 2012

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games is a story about a girl named Katniss, a 16-year-old who lives in District 12 in the country of Panem, once North America. Every year the Capitol demands that each of the 12 districts must send two tributes, 12 to 18, to compete in The Hunger Games, a fight to the death on national television that everyone must watch. When Katniss's younger sister, Prim, is chosen to compete in The Hunger Games Katniss boldly takes her place. Along with fellow tribute Peeta, Katniss travels to the Capitol and is prepared to kill anyone to be crowned victor and make it back to District 12 and her family, until Peeta announces on national television that he's in love with Katniss. This book is amazing! It is quite violent, but if you're mature enough it's easy to handle. I'm in the sixth grade and I'm already on Mockingjay (the third book). Although there are a few things that can be considered iffy. There are quite a few kisses and one character is a very addictive drunk. One character is described naked, and this whole thing is a life or death situation. The Games seem very real, as are the things that happen inside the arena. And some of the deaths are heart wrenching. But the writing is fantastic as are the messages Collins sends out. The story is original and keeps you turning pages late into the night. The Hunger Games is amazing, but it really depends on your point of view. I love The Hunger Games! P.S. Totally Team Peeta!
Kid, 11 years old June 11, 2013

This book is AWESOME!

A girl who lives on less than a dollar a day fighting to survive in her district. One day her sister was chosen to go into the arena but Katniss took her place. This book is about a girl that needs to survive in a arena against other people to the death.