Child reviews for The Hunger Games, Book 1

Exciting, provocative tale of lethal reality show.

Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2012

Not as inappropriate as you might think: Please read!

Although the premise of the book (teens killing teens) may cause some parents to turn their noses and shields their tween's eyes, the Hunger Games is not bad as you may think. THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW:

Violence:
Yes, there are many deaths. Many are described as bloody, but the gore itself is not described- for example, the author might have written something like this: "The boy had blood running down his leg," but she would never write this (I would advise more squeamish people to skip to the next section now): "The boy's leg was split at the thigh, with warm blood running down the leg onto the rocks below, and puss spluttering out like a volcano. The boy's sister watched in tears as her own head sputtered warm, red liquid." See what I mean?

Sex (cue 10 year olds saying "Eww, gross!):
One girl is described as 'sexy,' but in context it's not inappropriate at all. The main character has recently discussed different possible angles to win supporters. She says that the girl must have decided for her angle to be 'sexy.' There is also some kissing, but it's staged.

Language:
Not an issue.

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking:
The person who is supposed to be training the main character is an alcoholic, and passes out and throws up several times. This is mostly, in my opinion, for comic relief. There is several passing mentions of adults drinking.

Positive Stuff: Well, it's my favorite book ever (and I read A LOT of books). Also, it has caused many kids in my grade to become avid readers. There is this one boy who, prior to his reading The Hunger Games, barely read at all. Now, he not only reads the book several times a month, he has also found a genre of books he loves and is discovering other books. This story applies to many people I know. This book really is hard to put down, as are the sequels. Please let your child read this!

(Oh, and don't forget-- it's a good book for parents too.)
Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2010

FABULOUS! my fave read

well. WARNING: side effects of reading this book may include: skipping meals and sleep to read it, having socks blown off in awesomeness, and reccomending the book so much as to the degree of being a source of mild annoyance to family and friends.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymymembername October 16, 2010

Great Story, Heavy Violence

The Hunger Games is, as plainly as I can put it, a violent YA novel. I don't think I need to tell you that it has elements that, maybe more easily recognizable for an older age, can be seen as extremely heavy.

The heroine of the story is Katniss Everdeen, a strong and fiercely protective young woman (in this book, she's 16 years old) and the caretaker of her mother and her younger sister, Prim, who just so happens to be the reason for the future events about to take place. But I won't go in to that too much, with it being a plot twist best found out on your own. Katniss, although crushed by the terrible death of her father, and the undeniably poor state of her district, has somehow overcome that, not to mention the violent history of her country. She is likable, but not easily likable. She's brave, but stays humane enough to feel rightfully afraid. Oh, and she's deadly vicious with a bow and arrow (hence the name, Kantiss, which shares names with the flower, nicknamed "Arrowhead").

In this story she's paired with Peeta Mellark, the boy chosen from her district as a "tribute" for The Hunger Games. Together they are paired up as "Star-crossed Lovers" and, much later, allies.

You may be wondering who is included in the story as the antagonist. I could name a few, but I feel for this book that the main antagonist would be the fearsome Capital, who, basically, are the reason for the Games.

Although I am a big fan of The Hunger Games, having read it six times, I have to say that the violence is a little too well-described, and it can be very scary for someone who might have grown up around war (the Iraq War, for instance). I don't believe that younger preteens should be picking up this book, but who can stop them? This book is extremely popular, critically acclaimed, targeted towards that age group, well written, and I of all people have to admit, it's extremely fun.

So who should be picking up this book? Well, when I pick up a book that does not seem like something very nice to read, I do the easiest thing, which is to put it down. It's really the reader's decision.

Kid, 12 years old March 6, 2011

Only Read This Book If You Want To Call Off Reading Forever!

This book is amazing, and nothing you'll read can top it. Violence? A lot of scary stuff, including people who's tongues are cut out just for disobeying the government. Other violence includes a scene where a character is mauled by dogs, one scene where someone dies from bug stings, resulting in a bloated body covered with oozing pus.
Sex? Katniss and Peeta kiss. Katniss is described to be naked in a few scenes.
Language? Hell.
Drinking, Drugs? Haymitch, Katniss and Peeta's only lifeline in the games, is a drunk beyond repair, that pukes on the mayor and falls off the stage in a comedic scene.

Teen, 13 years old Written byloudonvillelion March 24, 2017

The Hunger Games-A Phenomenon

The Hunger Games is truly a wonder. If you've read it, you know what I'm talking about. Although it can get violent at times, this book provides brave, selfless role models as well as astounding, important, should-be-known messages. The Hunger Games is a great piece of art that makes our cruel civilizations look like a dream that one only yearns for. I read the series in fourth grade, and am still rereading it to this day. I've read The Hunger Games and Mockingjay about eight times each, and the whole series chronologically six times. The Hunger Games has a great and unique plot that mirrors the Revolutionary War, but with an original twist. Nothing can beat The Hunger Games.

There is a small amount of kissing, but it is very minimal. The mentor of the main characters drinks, and there are some vomiting scenes, but otherwise, this book is bare. Well, taking away the violence.

As you may know, The Hunger Games is partly known for its treacherous annual killing festival. That may be the only problem, though most of the abundant and gruesome deaths are not described in detail.

The Hunger Games is a masterpiece that will live on for decades, most likely even centuries. There are spots that will make you laugh, and others that you will find making your tear ducts water, but overall, nothing can beat The Hunger Games. If you're thinking about reading The Hunger Games, you've got the right thoughts in mind.

Kid, 10 years old February 21, 2011

PURE EPICNESS!

100% WIN! I love the Hunger Games sooo much! It's a beautiful story! Katniss chose to fight for her life without taking away the lives of others! BEST BOOK SERIES EVER!!!!!!!

Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2012

Amazing book!

This book is great for kids, but they have to be mature to understand it and be able to handle it. Yes, the book is a little violent, but not as violent as you may think. Sure, it's about kids killing kids, but that's not all. It is also filled with humor, excitment, romance, and so much more. Not the whole thing is bloody and gory! This story is not boring, either. In fact, it's not even close. There are many twists in the plot that are unexpected and exciting. I absolutely LOVE this book! Read it!

Teen, 13 years old Written byIGotTheMagic May 3, 2011

Intense violence appropriate for teens and mature tweens

While this epic tale is intensely violent, that is the point of the story. The educational value of government issues as well as role models and good messages in standing up for others you care about (Prim, Peeta) make this story a little more positive. The violence can come to some extremes and become inappropriate at some points, but you can always flip the page.

Kid, 12 years old November 23, 2015

Too many violence!!!

You need a certain level of maturity to read the hunger games!!!! Tooooooooooo many violence for younger kids!

Teen, 13 years old Written byalessandralovesbooks October 2, 2010

Love this book!

Wow.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRubyTherese April 15, 2016

This book is EPIC!!!

The Hunger Games are my favourite book series! You won't be able to put it down. Almost every chapter ends with a cliffhanger, and it leaves you tense and excited! This book is AWESOME!!!!

Kid, 11 years old September 17, 2014

Hunger games

Fine for 11+ the whole series was epic!, but if your overprotective parents read it first then they might not let you watch it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhungergamesmaniac May 19, 2020

Beautiful PLEASE READ THIS PARENTS!!!!

Okay. It does have 22 deaths, but it is not the kids fault! They are forced to do it, as a punishment a few decades after a rebellion, but if you would even bother to read the last book, you would find that they take away the Hunger Games because it is so cruel. It is all about the rebellion, TO GET RID OF IT! And ALL 12 districts (+ 1) (got "destroyed") fight to get rid of it (some later than others) but it is great. If your child is immature, then they shouldn't read it. But I am 12 and I can see past the blood and violence and see the real message deeper. They just had to have a story put to it. The main character is a loving, caring person, and she is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. She ends up in the Hunger Games because her little sister was chosen to go in and she took her place because she was so protective, and she poaches so her family can survive, in the second, she does everything she can to keep her friend, Peeta alive. And in the third, she she does everything she can to get rid of the horrible and cruel Games. She is kind and compassionate. Yes, she has some bad qualities, BUT EVERYONE HAS SOME! And these are the best books of all time (AND I AM THE BIGGEST BOOKWORM OF ALL TIME!!!) read 27 hours in 7 days 11 hrs. 1 day.

Teen, 15 years old Written byShowman movie13 April 16, 2019

A well made book, amazing, and one of the best books I've read

This book was very entertaining to me! I loved almost every moment of the book. There are some questions that stumped me in this book. This book is not a light read it is almost the complete opposite! This book is filled with a some heavy questions! All though this book is a heavy read, it is very good book to read. I am warning you, they're plenty of killing/violence in this book. Some violence was actually scary to read about. Some killings are with no weapons- but most all with weapons. Katniss represent her gender in a good way. She is brave, fierce, determined, and hard worker; she cares about Peeta in the end. Though this may go over kid's heads, she has mix feelings for Gale and Peeta. There is some alcoholic usages with Haymitch who drinks a lot(this went over my head a bit). This book is a well written book; it has lots of good role models, positive messages, and plenty of violence. In all, this book will entertain you as much as it did to me! I highly suggest 12+ to read this book. There is a lot of things that younger ones may not understand and may go over their heads and with the violence. I think 12+ could read this book. I thinks they could understand the book more and not be too scared of the violence in the book! There are some mild kissing involved- to let you know.

Teen, 14 years old Written byreaderofmanybooks November 29, 2010

Great Book!!

I LOVED this book. I did think it was violent, but it isn't anything to get too worked up about if your kid reads it without your consent *cough* Kay409 *cough*. But I give it 5 stars!!

Kid, 12 years old November 17, 2010

A great read, but be prepared to lose some sleep

This is an amazing book. It is very violent, but twelve year olds should be able to stomach it (be prepared for a few sleepless nights, though). There is nudity (though not in a romantic sense), too much kissing, and a couple of uses of "sexy". Katniss is a good role model in the sense that she stepped up to take her sisters place in the Hunger Games, but her attitude at killing is not something necessarily that kids should be picking up (killing a person isn't different then killing an animal). Katniss is very close to death all through out the book, but she keeps going. There is one sad death. Overall, this is a fabulous book. READ IT!!

Kid, 10 years old November 11, 2009

scary, but looks AWESOME to me!

i love reading. so my freind read it and said it was really good. so i read some other reviews, it sounds violent and scary. but i love scary books that all my other friends get freaked out about. so i would read it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byNiya_1 June 4, 2020

FOR MATURE READERS

If you are the kind of person who is easily squeamish then this book is not for you. There is a lot of violence, but it is downplayed and I think we kids can handle it. I would say for about 12 and above.

Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2020

Honest Review

In truth, it’s not as graphic as it’s made out to be. It’s vital that parents consider the reference to drugs (one man is extremely drunk) and the dark plot of the story, but that’s about it, apart from the ‘fake love story’. And a lot of kissing.. usually meaningless. Would be suitable for mature 10 year olds.. possibly 11 year olds.. but consider other reviews too. Don’t rely solely on this one.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThePinkBookWorm August 2, 2019

Not as bad as everyone is saying.

I’ve seen lots of reviews saying that this book is horrible Because it de values human life, and has lots of description of killing.True, it does have lots of description, so much that you feel you are actually there killing your friends. But as long as you know what killing/ death is, this is in no way bad. There’s no sex, there’s a little drinking, but that’s alright.