Parent reviews for The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Spectacular cinematic book has lots of heart.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 10 year old Written bysummer6ft March 7, 2010

Great read together book.

I read this aloud to my 3 kids ages 5, 7 and 10. The older 2 are very well read so they followed it well and the 5 year old enjoyed it although I don't know that she 'got' all of it. The illustrations throughout are exquisite and it gave us a chance to talk about the importance of friends and family, asking for help when needed and other things. We all thoroughly enjoyed the book! We are a very conservative, Christian household and I don't remember anything as jumping out as too bad.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byBlueJade November 17, 2009

Imaginative graphic novel for tweens about early filmmaking

Brian Selznick received the 2008 Caldecott award for this book, a picturebook award that usually goes to little kids' books. Finally the ALA recognized that powerful images are in books for older children, too. The book looks thick, but more than half of the pages are full-page illustrations. We read this book together and enjoyed the intrigue of the story and how we wanted to keep turning the page to see what happens next. Some of the story is tragic and sad. Kids may need the context of the difficulties of the 1930s. They will also be curious about real automatons and Georges Melies. Selznick includes website links and books to get more info on both. The story is really about the history of early films in France, but also about magic and magicians, the Depression, horology, mechanics, trains, libraries, and orphans. Fascinating! An imaginative 8-year-old may like it. 10 - 14 years old will definitely like it.

Adult Written byHilarieA February 19, 2012

Great for kids and great for adults too!

I am reading Hugo to my two 6-year olds and 5 year old. They love it! We review each chapter to help them remember but this is the first chapter book I have read to them over a series of many nights and it is great. And, it is the first book that I enjoy as much as they do!
Adult Written byreader44 May 26, 2010

Great book for 3rd grade and up.

This book is very cool and original. It's great story about a real person who lived but it's one of those "wouldn't it be cool if this really happened" stories. it has suspense, mystery,action, and relatable characters. It's a fun read!

Parent Written byfulltimemom88 November 4, 2010

Parent of a 9 year old Written byTora Gwen May 12, 2010

Not bad, not great...

I read this recently, and I have to say I'm not overly impressed. The illustrations are gorgeous, but the story isn't what I expected. It's not bad, but honestly I prefer many other books over it. It's a nice story, but not very detailed and quite simple. However, over all, it does send a nice, positive message. Probably best for ages 8-12.

Adult Written bym_and_d_in_fl December 13, 2011

AudioBook version is a "must-hear" for whole family

We checked out from the library the AudioBook of Hugo and listened to it as a family when on a roadtrip. It was enthralling. Since the pictures play such a part in the written book, Brian Selznick made sure that the AudioBook had sound effects to "explain" the drawings. My 5 & 7 yr olds were captivated and my husband and I didn't want to get out of the car at our destinations since that would mean turning off the story.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bymum2gandj April 21, 2011

A real page turner!

I got this book for my 7 year old son to read after reading reviews on this site. He is an advanced reader so I knew he could handle it. I decided to read a few pages to get a feel for what he was going to read then I didn't want to put it down! I didn't intend to read the whole book but I got wrapped up in the story. When he got home from school he sat down and read the whole thing. I am very picky about what I allow my son to read and I found nothing in this book objectionable.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byilivetoread September 19, 2010

... In the words of an 8 year old :)

In the words of my 8 yr. old: "The book was really interesting and the invention Hugo found was pretty neat. This is one of my favorite books because it was a great story and I liked the pictures which helped tell the story. I have told the kids in my class at school to read it and 4 of them did! It's a really great book!"
Adult Written byashadoodle September 19, 2009

A great and entertaining book for children and young teens.

This is an amazing book. I picked it up while volunteering at a local summer library program, simply because the size and cover caught my eye. The story is interesting and content is acceptable. What really makes the story, however, are the beautiful illustrations.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byallison_r April 24, 2010

Unique style of story telling

This book is so unique and was a must for the "keeper" bookshelf. The story it told half in words and half in pictures. I read it out loud to my son when he was 6.

Adult Written bykarow April 9, 2008
Parent of a 11 year old Written bylrthomp April 9, 2008

What a great experience!

My 9-yr-old son loved this book. So did I -- I read the whole thing in two sittings. The mix of cinematic and textual storytelling makes for a really dramatic narrative experience. Plus, the story is in part about the birth of cinema; it all works together so neatly. My son is a strong reader, but I can see this appealing to kids who aren't confident readers.
Adult Written byshanerocks April 6, 2012

Great book!

I love this book. It's SOOO good.