Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Iron Trial: Magisterium, Book 1

Intriguing twist on magic-school tale lacks polish.

Parent Written bySuleen April 15, 2015

Read the book

(Written by my grandson) You should try this book . It is awesome. It is a cool book. Everything is good.

Educational Value
Adult Written byMelissa C. August 1, 2016

Harry Potter rip off

This book was a summer reading assignment for my rising 7th grader. I read their assignments, partly because I like to read and partly so I can answer questions. While this Book began with a very promising start, very soon it divulged into a struggle from page to page. I have given up with 45 pages left out of sheer frustration because of the similarities with the Harry Potter series. The frustration begins when readers try to sympathize with the infirmary nurse or the friendless child main character. Everything lacks luster and depth and connection. I don't care whether Callum, Tamara, or Aaron live or die. Unfortunately, I don't care about any of them, nor do I expect my seventh-grade boy to care about them either. As a literature teacher, the caring about the characters is the only thing that gives power to the literature. All is irrelevant if the reader does not connect with the characters. And in the case of the Iron Trials, we don't care.
Adult Written byabbacus January 17, 2016

Great start to a series that can only get better!

I'm not going to go into detail about this book, but overall I thought it was really good! Cassie Clare is my favorite author so of course I'm going to be a fan of anything she writes (or, in this case, co-writes). This book has some violence (and some of it can be intense) but nothing an older grade schooler can't handle. This being a first book in a fantasy series, there is a lot of world building, as well as some character development to be done. It is something that is unavoidable but it can make the story a little bit of a trudge at times. It is the (only!) reason that I'm not giving The Iron Trail 5 stars. Read it! Get your kids to read it! It's really good and looking so promising as an epic series!

Adult Written byA large boi October 29, 2018