Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Last Wild

Brave kids, animals team up in funny, scary, sweet sci-fi.

Based on 1 review

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byJennifer M. September 3, 2017
I borrowed The Last Wild as a talking book from a local library. My kids love animals and talking books, so I hoped it would suit them. They, and I, were not so sure to start with, and after the first chapter they did not want to go on with it. They don't generally like dark themes, and Kester's life is pretty miserable to begin with. I thought it was probably too much for them at this stage, but I kept listening and was soon hooked. Once it was clear that the creatures really could talk to Kester, and he wasn't losing his mind, there were parts of the story I wanted to tell my kids, knowing they would find them funny or otherwise enjoyable. Then they started listening with me again, from where I was up to, and pretty soon they were hooked too. Although there is a lot in the book that is grim, the heroes and their friends are wonderful - diverse, vulnerable, imperfect, funny, loyal and very brave. Due to some very long drives we heard the rest of the book this weekend. I found myself just as absorbed as the kids, caring very much how things would turn out. We were not disappointed! For my family it was important that we listened together. I think it may have been too frightening otherwise. There are many deep themes and ideas, and it has been good to talk about these along the way, and afterwards.

Educational Value