Parent reviews for The Library Card

A mysterious library card affects four lives.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byChristianmommy November 18, 2009

Great handbook for delinquents!

Hated this. Angry it was given to my 3rd grader. For all of the questionable youth activity: Repeated Shoplifting and Vandalism, Defying all teacher, adult and parenting relationships, quitting/skipping school, cutting, hijacking and hitchhiking to name only a few! All with no real consequences... Poorly strung together, it is more of a handbook for delinquency than shining example of how books can save people. Forget about any sense of morals or authority figures helping troubled kids!
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byBnWsMom November 6, 2009

Good book for middle grades

This book was so-so. Overall it has a positive message about the value of books/the library - however that positive message is only inferred so the reader must be mature enough to recognize it. This book also has some mature themes - it infers that one of the characters may be suicidal, a couple other characters shoplift and vandalize. Another character is homeless and lives in a car with his uncle. These dark themes tend to overshadow the positive message. Additionally, the imagery and figurative language used by the author is somewhat complex and the reader would need to have the maturity level to comprehend it.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byMissStephie September 25, 2009

Better books written regarding the value of library cards.

The book was chosen for our Mother/Daughter Book Group (ages 8-12). It was a disappointment. As a librarian I think stories could have been written in a more positive way regarding library cards.