Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Lie Tree

Exciting, twisty mystery stars clever Victorian teen sleuth.

Based on 1 review

Adult Written byL Rowland February 8, 2018

Victorian gothic

Initially slow moving book with the entertainment in subtle observation - may, gently, prepare children for Jane Austin in this respect. Second half speeds up as a gothic horror. As with the best horror; the possible supernatural element is left veiled. Warnings: Plot turns half way on an apparent suicide of a major character - may distress some. The novel is set in the wake of Darwin's publication - though it isn't a major feature, it won't sit well with any 'Creationists' out there. There is a scene of rat-baiting. Several characters are assumed to be having affairs. There is a hint that two minor characters are in a lesbian relationship, though it could go unnoticed by children. There is a scene with a character apparently intoxicated on opium. The child deliberately invests a mind altering substance. In all cases the effect is painted as undesirably unpleasant. I let this book sit on my mind for a day before deciding it would be great for my bright twelve-year-old, if we read it together first time; and an entertaining diversion for my fifteen-year-old.

Educational Value