Parent reviews for The Lightning Thief: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1

Greek myths meet fast-paced adventure in boy-demigod tale.

Parent of a 7 and 9-year-old Written byslrohrer July 17, 2010

Be prepared to discuss morals with your child.

My son wanted to read it in 3rd grade, but I read it first. I feel that there's too much content that isn't age appropriate until at least 5th grade. For instance: Gods having "affairs" with mortals. There are a lot of moral issues imbedded into this book that I think needs to be discussed after the child has read this book, so parents should be prepared to discuss. This may even be a great choice for a parent/child book club. Especially if you are a Christian parent - you'll want to be prepared to discuss the fantasy/mythology of the Greek Gods. I think my son will LOVE the book, but he won't have the chance to love it until he gets to 5th grade.

Parent of a 2, 4, 6, and 8-year-old Written byjennwhitmer October 14, 2010
I enjoyed the story, and it's action packed. The biggest problem is with the way the demigods were conceived. There is a lot of talk about the gods sleeping with humans to make the demigods. Until your child is ready to understand babies out of marriage, this book isn't for him.

Parent Written bykmpontes May 15, 2014

Love Percy! Surprising Educational Value...

My 7 yr old son and I have been enjoying this series for a few months. Some times we read it together, but more often than not we sneak off and both read ahead. (He is quite the advanced and voracious reader for 7!) We've gotten so into them we moved onto Heroes of Olympus and are now reading the Kane Chronicles while anxiously awaiting the next HoO book.

In an effort to test my son's reading comprehension and the overall educational value I looked up a few Greek Mythology quizzes. I actually had to use the middle school ones, as they don't learn this material in elementary. He knew all of the Greek Gods names, roles, lore, interrelationships and thanks to Heroes of Olympus, their Roman equivalents. He also did pretty well on the Greek heroes (Hercules, Perseus, etc.) and didn't miss a single monster/beast. (Of course!) We got into the series to get some extra mommy/son time but I love that he's picked up this subject matter and truly understands how all of the pieces fit together. Before reading this series, I'm not sure I could tell you who was married to who, whose children were whose, etc but now both my seven year old both understand the complex interrelationships of all of the Olympian Gods and Goddesses.

The book is an adventure series and they do spend a lot of time fighting monsters. Demi-gods do get injured but fortunately they always carry a magical food that cures their injuries. It does subtlety address more mature content, as other reviewers mentioned, but in a way that a seven year old doesn't even raise an eyebrow. (For example, one camper will tell another camper "Zeus is my dad." He will not say "Zeus is my dad. He had an elicit affair with my mom in the 90s, left us and went back to his goddess wife, Hera, who now hates us." It's really the more mature reader who is reading between the lines in those situations.)

There is next to no consumerism. There isn't a toy line or Lego series (much to my son's disappointment) and very few collectors/fan items out there. They occasionally reference Diet Coke, but there really isn't any branding or merchandizing. Fortunately, we've been recreating scenes and weapons with legos, cardboard and lots of gold duck tape!

If you are continuing with the series, it is important to note it is much like Harry Potter. The children start off as pre-teens and then grow up. So by the the Heroes of Olympus books, the girls are starting to take more of an interest in the boys and are sometimes dating but relationships aren't really a factor in the Percy Jackson series, which comes chronologically first.

Another point of note - the books and the movie are not at all aligned. Plot, character appearances and even geographic locations and quest purposes are changed. I didn't like the movies and think they are a poor representation of the series. I am hoping Disney will consider a reboot in the future.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

A fun mix of modern and myth...A Must-Read!

I recently saw I list of 13 books every kid should read before turning 13. THE LIGHTNING THIEF was high on that list.
The book tells the story of Perseus (Percy) Jackson, a kid who lives with his single mother and is unsure of his dad's identity. After a creepy math teacher transforms into a monster and tries to eat him, Percy's friend Grover (who's really a satyr) takes him to Camp Half-Blood, where Percy learns that the Greek Gods really do exist, and they still have children with mortals. That is what the camp is for. Percy is one of those children. His father is Posiedon, God of the Seas, and Percy has some control over water. But soon he must go on a quest with Grover and Annabeth, daughter of Athena, to take back Zeus's stolen lightning bolt and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.
The book is funny and witty, effortlessly matching old mythology and tradition with modern culture in a way that makes the book engrossing and unpredictable. There is no sex, only talk of gods having affairs with mortals, and quite a bit of married gods having affairs with other gods. Violence is the biggest issue, whether it's slapstick or intense. Sword-fights, explosions, creepy monsters, ect. None of it's graphic and most is presented in a comical fashion.
Your kids will love this book and you will too. Highly recommended.
(P.S. Don't be worried that CommonSense doesn't have reviews for books 2 and 3. They're no worse than this one).
Parent of a 3, 7, 10, 13, 15, and 15-year-old Written byAria--is momma ... August 21, 2010
I love this book, and so do my children. I have seven children, and all of them, age 7-15, love the books and the movie. My three year olds haven't read them yet, but I'm sure they'll love them too.

I think it is a great way to introduce your kids to a different culture.

Parent of a 6 and 10-year-old Written bySB TN mom June 9, 2010
I have some concerns that the concept of faithfulness in marriage and the family unit are not values espoused here, however I did enjoy the book and think, given the background of having read it myself, my son will enjoy the action and we can discuss the worldly concepts and how they differ from our Christian values and the subsequent consequences that come from this lack of family values.

Parent Written byhannah1991 July 13, 2020
I read this book, wondering what the heck a "kleptomaniac" was, until I looked it up. Great storyline, and the fact that Yancy Academy was for "troubled" kids got me thinking: What if a school like that existed? Would I have gone there? I mean, I DID have some issues as a kid...

Adult Written byelm3 March 21, 2020
Adult Written byhannahrw1991 February 7, 2020
Just twelve years old, young Percy Jackson goes on a quest to find out who he truly is-while training at Camp Half-Blood. He is expelled from his most recent school, Yancy Academy, for not knowing how to control his gift with water (the meanest girl in school, Nancy Bobofit, gets sprayed in the face with toilet water, but Percy doesn't know how he did it).

Very mild bullying appears in this book, but nothing else as far as what parents should watch out for.

Adult Written byvermigle January 25, 2020

Turned My Kid Into a Bookworm

The book does have violence and if you're not comfortable with your kids learning about Greek mythology then then this isn't the series for you. My son has always preferred non-fiction and I've wanted him to find a book that made him see the adventure a good story can take you on. This book did just that! He has devoured the whole series and moved on to The Heroes of Olympus. Last night my husband caught him up at midnight reading with a flashlight to finish the book. I have an app that ask questions to create a scrapbook. The other day it asked what can you not live without and my 8 year old said, "Books!" I marked this as 9 and up, but I think that a mature 8 year old could handle this just fine.
Adult Written byAberry33 September 19, 2019

Talk to your kid-like always

Reviews here emphasize the potential danger that may result from your kid’s learning that unmarried sex is a thing that happens. If your kid ever leaves your house and talks to other kids, he/she/they already know at least something about this- however accurate or inaccurate. If you want to talk to your kid about real things in the real world, this is a great way to do that. Funny, smart, great action and adventure. And, if you worry about what your kid may learn from this book, the sex will be much easier to discuss than the idea that a kid can wield a sword cutting through a woman who then explodes into yellow powder. Lighten up maybe? If the book makes your kid unhappy, you can always stop reading.

Adult Written byLizards March 6, 2019

best book ever

i think that you c an read it younger than 10 but it is mostly funny and full of comity

Adult Written bydmg2566 January 16, 2019

Not great

Although the story is easy to follow, the book itself is not very well written and if you are looking for books to boost your child's vocabulary, this is not the one.
Adult Written byCheyanne W. April 24, 2018

Love it Imean percy jackson is alwsome and hot for a son of the sea god!

you all should read it. it is awesome and you should have the series at home if you don't already!

Parent Written byhjkjhgfdsfgbn March 31, 2018

Adult Written byArya C. March 31, 2017

idc

I think it good

Parent Written byIri Y. January 15, 2017

Amazing!

My daughter read this when she was seven and she loved it. She did not need help at all! Im not saying this is a childish book because it certianly isn't. She could not stop reading. I reccomend this to ages six and up because all those parents who are saying the kids arent ready because there is drinking, just let your kid think for themseves! Kids need to know about that kind of stuff.
Adult Written byIts.carlieee July 21, 2016

Percy Jackson

Hey guys! If your child enjoys adventure and fantasy they'll like this book. I'm NOT Into that I have to read it for summer reading and I find it sooooo boring:(
Adult Written byJulian Atilano May 11, 2016

Book Review

The lighting thief

The lighting thief is about a boy named Percy Jackson. Percy Jackson is a 6th Grader who gets in a lot of trouble at school he has a friend and an enemy.Percy Jackson has a mom and a step dad his mom is really nice to him but his step dad is really mean and treats him like a slave. Percy Jackson doesn't know that he has powers like a god. He is half blood human and half blood god. He finds these things after he faces a monster after he faces the monster after he fought the monster strange things started to happen to him and other things around started to change.

Percy ended up finding all of these things out. He found these things out when him and his mom went to his favorite place the beach. When they slept at the the beach it was a storm. His best friend walks in at midnight because he's say they have to go and that something chasing them. His best friend is a satyr and the guy that is chasing them is minotaur Once they run away something bad happens after they kill the minotaur they leave to a camp where there are half gods and half human. Then Percy adventures start to happen when he is with the gods and his best friend.

Adult Written bysoftball February 9, 2016

So good, no sex or drugs,etc. And is a fast paced action

No gory things in the book .
No sex or anything related to that.
No drugs or alcohol.
Barely any swearing
Though it does have violence and