Parent reviews for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1 Poster Image

Don't go by the commonsensemedia review on this one!

I must respectfully disagree with the CommonSenseMedia's review of this book. Saying that CS Lewis' Narnia books do not stand the test of time as well as Tolkien is frankly ridiculous. Both of them write in an old-fashioned style which adds a certain charm, although Tolkien can be a bit long-winded at times. However, in my opinion, the Narnia books AND the LOTR are equally worthy of reading and have equally stood the test of time. They simply have different intended audiences: Narnia is more for children whilst LOTR is more for adults. As a child I adored the Narnia books and would frequently wish that I too could go to Narnia! The magical world, so beautifully written, came alive in my imagination and I was convinced that it was real and I just had to find the right wardrobe to get there! This series is a must read for children and adults alike, particularly those who love fantasy and can appreciate Lewis' gentle humour and charming style.
2 people found this helpful.

Another reason to question the ConnonSense reviewers

Great book and great reading. Great story that lets kids get absorbed into a fantasy world that is built around them in classic language and artistry that is CS Lewis. The CommonSense reviewer feels that he needs to tell parents that this is "Dated" and "Simple"? PLEASE! Why not warn parents about books that have vivid descriptions of violent acts against children, infanticide, and other inappropriate content for these ages? Many newer, "award winning" books that get raves are "current" and are trash and are no where near appropriate for the ages these reviewers say.
1 person found this helpful.

The best read!

In the book The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Lucy finds the land of Narnia in a wardrobe. She is very excited, so she tells her brothers and sister. They all go into the wardrobe and discover an exciting world with strange creatures and make new friends. They battle the White Witch with the help of Aslan the lion. Who do you think wins? I loved the book because it was exciting, and I loved the creatures. My favourite is Mr Tumnus because he is friendly and kind. I think people 7 and up can read this because it is scary for younger people.

Suspenseful and Awesome

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe is a totally awesome read. It contains some violence, such as a scene where multiple innocent animals are turned into statues, but positive messages and noble characters make it a have-to-read!

Classic Must-Read

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe addresses several themes that are relevant to children and adults. Repentance and reconciliation, sacrifice, love, and friendship are all presented in a positive, wholesome, and incredibly moving way. The book is not overtly Christian, although "Christian" themes and parrallels have been suggested; people of multiple religions and philosophies will find this a wholesome read for themselves and their children. The world is highly imaginative and the character development is well-done, making this an engaging read.

A adventurous journey

There was four children named Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy that were sent to a house where a Professor lived. They decided to explore the house and Lucy found a wardrobe. She opened the door and went in and when she came out she was in a different place. She finds a faun and he tells her that this place is called Narnia and tells her that she and her sister are the daughter of Eve and that his brothers are the son of Adam and are there to stop the white witch. The children struggle to be safe from the white witch. The children want to stop the white witch and save Narnia on the other hand the white witch wants to kill the children. The theme is forgiveness because Edmund betrayed Peter, Susan, and Lucy and went to the white witch and at the end they forgave Edmund. I liked this book because the children went on an adventure from another world. I would recommend this book to other people because it is full of adventures.

Adriana's book review

The lion the witch and the wardrobe is about when four siblings sent to live in the country with a Professor named Kirke during World War II. Lucy, the youngest, finds an enormous mystery. Lucys four siblings get worried about her Lucy was only gone for seconds and not for hours as she claims. There was really great messages in this book that may help you kids someday.The role models are really good because they don't give up, thats something you should never do

Not Book 1!

While this is the most popular of the Narnia Chronicles it is in fact the second book in the series. The Magician's Nephew is the first of the series but you can always go back and read it as a prequel.

The Chronicles of Narnia Amazing Book

This delightful release of the Chronicles of Narnia profits from the seven stories being in their right legitimate succession, and additionally from the most popular, captivating delineations of Pauline Baynes, who portrays everything from the Elysian mystical vicinity of fauns and dryads to the frightful spirit of Tash, with incredible expertise and affectability. I first read this as an adolescent, and it snatched my creative ability in a manner that no other book (with the conceivable exemption of Lord of the Rings) has done since. Presently, returning to the place that is known for Narnia over a quarter of a century later, was similar to a startling cheerful gathering with a departed companion. Kids will be charmed with the escapades and more develop book lovers will like the concealed profundities, and also overlooking their inconveniences by being transported again to more satisfied, more cheerful days. A really brilliant work that gets into your dreams and never genuinely abandons you. . I brought this series Chronicles of Narnia from Snazal Wholesale Books.