All parent member reviews for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1

Parent of a 11, 15, and 18 year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009
Parent of a 10 year old Written bykcandkc January 27, 2011

Best book series

Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byconcernedNAparent June 1, 2009

Another reason to question the ConnonSense reviewers

Great book and great reading. Great story that lets kids get absorbed into a fantasy world that is built around them in classic language and artistry that is CS Lewis. The CommonSense reviewer feels that he needs to tell parents that this is "Dated" and "Simple"? PLEASE! Why not warn parents about books that have vivid descriptions of violent acts against children, infanticide, and other inappropriate content for these ages? Many newer, "award winning" books that get raves are "current" and are trash and are no where near appropriate for the ages these reviewers say.
Adult Written bybonwilsky April 9, 2008

The first book in a series all kids should read

This is a good story that centers around the battle between good and evil. There is mild violence, but it is nothing more than an eight-year-old can handle!
Adult Written bySunnyZim May 16, 2014

Don't go by the commonsensemedia review on this one!

I must respectfully disagree with the CommonSenseMedia's review of this book. Saying that CS Lewis' Narnia books do not stand the test of time as well as Tolkien is frankly ridiculous. Both of them write in an old-fashioned style which adds a certain charm, although Tolkien can be a bit long-winded at times. However, in my opinion, the Narnia books AND the LOTR are equally worthy of reading and have equally stood the test of time. They simply have different intended audiences: Narnia is more for children whilst LOTR is more for adults. As a child I adored the Narnia books and would frequently wish that I too could go to Narnia! The magical world, so beautifully written, came alive in my imagination and I was convinced that it was real and I just had to find the right wardrobe to get there! This series is a must read for children and adults alike, particularly those who love fantasy and can appreciate Lewis' gentle humour and charming style.
Parent Written byenergy star December 18, 2013

my name is lily

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bythe zoo May 20, 2010

loved it!

Adult Written byJjSmihal April 9, 2008

A great book for Christian families

I was quite disappointed that the movie of this book downplayed the most important aspect: this is a representation of Jesus' death and resurrection! C.S. Lewis wrote many wonderful Christian books that are not preachy, but certainly get the message across. If you read the book with your child and you have EVER been to church, you can't miss the message!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bypellicanss April 9, 2008

Educator Written bysnazal June 19, 2014

The Chronicles of Narnia Amazing Book

This delightful release of the Chronicles of Narnia profits from the seven stories being in their right legitimate succession, and additionally from the most popular, captivating delineations of Pauline Baynes, who portrays everything from the Elysian mystical vicinity of fauns and dryads to the frightful spirit of Tash, with incredible expertise and affectability. I first read this as an adolescent, and it snatched my creative ability in a manner that no other book (with the conceivable exemption of Lord of the Rings) has done since. Presently, returning to the place that is known for Narnia over a quarter of a century later, was similar to a startling cheerful gathering with a departed companion. Kids will be charmed with the escapades and more develop book lovers will like the concealed profundities, and also overlooking their inconveniences by being transported again to more satisfied, more cheerful days. A really brilliant work that gets into your dreams and never genuinely abandons you. . I brought this series Chronicles of Narnia from Snazal Wholesale Books.
Educator and Parent Written byAllen Wang April 4, 2013

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe Rate

I Think, The Movie The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe is A Good Film And Some Violence in The Story Involving War And Fighting Between The Narnians Vs. The Witch of Narnia And So, Par ents Please Protect Your Children From Violence And War in The Story in "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe"! Than k You!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 22, 2012

the lion the witch and the wardrobe the ch

Families can talk about the messages Lewis' books send about the nature of good and evil. Why do you think Edmund chooses to betray his brother and sisters by running off to join the White Witch? Why can't Lucy get back into Narnia through the wardrobe any time she wants to? And why is there a lamppost in the Narnian forest (hint: try reading the first book in the Narnia chronicles, The Magician's Nephew, for some interesting background). If parents and children are familiar with Christianity, they can also discuss how the book's plot and characters are like various stories and people found in the Bible. For example, how is Aslan like Jesus Christ?
Adult Written byMcKathlin January 12, 2012

Repentance and Forgiveness

Edmund starts out working with the White Witch against his brother and sisters, which lands him in a scary place. The Lion gives his life to save Edmund. His brother and sisters, though they had been put in danger by his actions, forgive him and continue to love him. Edmund uses his second chance well. In subsequent books he frequently shows courage in standing for what's right.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byhannahrose April 28, 2011

Perfect Read-Aloud or Read-to-Yourself

I have read this series more times than I can count as a child and a grown up. There is something for all ages in these books!
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byJessicaBurton1980 January 5, 2009

Adult Written bydlfmh April 9, 2008

Parent Written bydoctormom April 9, 2008

imaginitive fantasy with realistic feeling

I waited until my son was 9 to let him read this book. I am glad but I think it was right on par for his age. The violence is exciting and not too intense for him and has reason and consequence to back it up. We are dealing with non humans, which helps in the discussion. I liked the social aspect as the behavior of Edmund and his siblings provided true feelings, consequences and teaching opportunities and space for forgiveness. The gender roles were traditional yet, aside from Ms Beaver loving to sew and the girls given weapons for protection and emergencies, I personally don't have a problem with the women not being sent into battle...