Kid reviews for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1 Poster Image

The start to a great series

This book is great! The start to a great series. There are a few violent scenes but not many.

Um... What?

The reviewer is saying that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis is the first book in the series—it's actually the second! A great book, but I don't like how the reviewer said that its writing style was "outdated" and didn't stand the test of time like J.R.R. Tolkien. Roger Gilbert Lancelyn Greene was a British biographer and children's writer (he wrote The Adventures of Robin Hood). He was an Oxford academic who formed part of the Inklings literary discussion group along with C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien. In fact, without Greene, The Chronicles of Narnia never would've been published! Tolkien had told Lewis that his book was not good, but Greene persuaded him to publish it. Tolkien also used an "outdated" style of writing which makes The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings charming, so it isn't fair to criticize Lewis that The Chronicles of Narnia were outdated.

One of the better kids stories

I think you can enjoy this as any age but it’s also pretty easy for kids to understand. There are a lot of Christian messages but even if you aren’t Christian (I’m not) you can still enjoy it (I did). There are no bad words and yes some of the views are a little old fashioned but as a girl those things didn’t bother me much because I know things are changing. A beaver drinks beer once but I really think its not a problem. Most of the people on the good side are very good role models and they are very good people. Mild non graphic violence.

Best book EVER

This is an amazing book! It’s not sexist tho like other reviews say, it’s literally the males saying the girls shouldn’t have to go into the brutality of war. I’m a girl. It’s fine. Back in time it was also different, and they didn’t view things the same way. Great for all ages. My fave book ever, C.S Lewis is AMAZING!!!

CHRISTIAN THEME

I say age 6 and up because I'm not sure if kids younger than that would understand, however, parents could walk through the book with younger kids and explain the small details. I love how C.S. Lewis uses exciting and interesting details to help children (and adults) understand the Gospel better. I don't think the violence is very serious, and the White Witch just represents the sin in this world, while the battle represents the fight against it. This and Aslan's sacrifice (representing Jesus's) prove great positive messages. In addition to this, the Pevensies are great role models, though you've got to be careful of Edmund in the beginning. There is no swearing, consumerism, drinking/drugs/smoking, or sex. As the violence is mild, I would say children of any age can read this book.

pretty good!

this book is pretty good. i watched the movie before the book and did think the movie is better. i do recommend reading this book. it includes little details about battles and things related to that, a beaver drinks beer, but thats about it!

Great Book, Not Nearly as Violent as the Movie!

This book was awesome! It has great messages and wonderful role models! It is definitley not nearly as violent as the movie though. So, if you're looking for something more action packed I'd watch the movie, it's really good as well. This book however, is an amazing one for young kids who love fantasy and not over-the-top adventure. I really enjoyed it when I was younger!

Wonderful Book

The Chronicles of Narnia books are by far my favourite books of all time. The first and the second one are on the top of my list, but all of them are good reads. It is magical ,but it still has good messages. It also has a Christian feel to it but if you are not Christian than I would still recommend it. It is a pretty different than Harry Potter, but if you enjoyed the Harry Potter series than you will probably enjoy this too. The Chronicles of Narnia series isn't one of those series that leaves you wide eyed thinking "No way, she just jumped into a pit of darkness and now is about to slay a dragon." and leaves you biting your nails over and over and having nightmares. It is a feel good classic, with some violence and a lot of adventure. Overall, I think that this a wonderful tale that I really enjoyed.

Not that great

I had to read this for school and I think this book is highly overrated. It’s not inappropriate at all, it’s just... not good. All the characters are sexist and everything is written in a dense and old fashioned way. I don’t recommend this book.

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is a fantastic book of action and fantasy. Set in World War II, four kids are evacuated from there home in London to get away from all the bombs being dropped by the German Air Force. While playing a game of hide and seek one of the four wander into a magical wardrobe and end up in a magical place called Narnia . I love this book cause it is packed with adventure and mystery with some Christian messages. I recommend this book for 8 years and up.