All parent member reviews for The Little Island

Educator and Parent Written bydeannad44 October 11, 2012

Little Island, Big Thoughts

The Little Island won the Caldecott Medal Award in 1947. It is a very simplistic children's picture book with big idea themes. Its pictures are very colorful, distinguished, and vivid, most of them of nature. The main ideas of the book are change, perspective,and faith. The book discusses how the seasons change and how are physical earth changes simultaneously with them. The book also discusses point of view or perspective. The little kitten is astonished when the Island tells her that he is also part of the land. The kitten questions how this is possible when he is surrounded by water. The Island tells her to ask any fish. The fish exclaims to her that under the water there is land that surrounds the Island. The kitten says that she can not see this. The fish then goes on to tell her that she must have faith- "To believe what I tell you about what you don't know." This book can be used in a kinder, first, or second grade classroom. It is a simple read which makes it easy for them to read themselves. I will definitely be using this book in my classroom one day.