Parent reviews for The Little Prince

Gorgeous classic about friendship, love, and life.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byAmber L. August 6, 2016

wonderful story but most appropriate for older kids with discernment of SAFE/UNSAFE relationships

I absolutely LOVE this story, its wisdom and its whimsy. However, as most parents know, kids especially young children, often act out or desire to act out their favorite movies/books. Which is great, and a part of building ones imagination creativity etc. So that being said, from a wary and careful mother's point of view, it is important to NOT send mixed messages.-- A relationship between an unattended small child in a new neighborhood with a adult neighbor without the parents knowledge can end up being a parents worst nightmare. Especially if the child is approached to be "a friend" or offered gifts or enticed to come over to the unknown adults house, yard, etc. As children grow up into their teens they become more aware of their surroundings, aware of what is appropriate and what isn't, AND aware of their own power and autonomy. THEN this story can be truly appreciated and enjoyed with a much better chance that negative consequences are not a part of the equation. You may say I am hypervigilant, and that is ok. But as a survivor of Sexual abuse as a child I can say with certainty that: Innocence can never be restored once forfeited or violated. Children don't always have the best judgement which is why they have parents! So at their very least, walk your child through the fact that this is just a story. And while in this story the Aviator is benevolent, there are also other people who want to appear to be good and friendly but whose intentions are bad. And that they should always be in groups, have permission be supervised by a older sib or parent. We cannot protect them from everything but nobody wants to look back with 20/20 hindsight saying I shoulda, I woulda I coulda if only, etc. Sorry for the parade raining:-) tho... It really is a personal favorite
Adult Written byBrianna C. November 9, 2016

Never Forgetting

The Little Prince is an eye opener for a more mature audience. The Little Prince is an oracle of how children perceive the world. The story tells of how upsetting the change of thought process is from child to adult. Adults thought process in the story is always straight forward, and practical. A reflection on how growing up has narrowed ones mind into only being able to focus on what is "essential". As in, a necessary way of living.

Adult Written byPersi June 21, 2020

Adult Written byEvren O. May 10, 2020

A classic that children can understand better than you think

Though it sometimes meditates on complex topics the fact of the matter is that many of the ideas that this book dwells on are not ideas that are going to be unfamiliar to children. On the contrary, I feel that a child will be more familiar with the concepts presented here than adults who have forgotten what it was like to live in a world of made up rules and bizarre rituals. Overall a wonderful book for all ages.

Adult Written byMonica F. May 1, 2019

NOT for sensitive children BE WARNED - wish I had researched this one!

This started out being a delightful fun bed time read aloud to my 9 year old son. Yet when we came to the snake scene it brought him to tears and I glossed over it saying the Little Prince was fine and just wanted to go back to his planet to see his flower. We didn't finish. I read the last chapters and decided not read it to him (even though he was curious). The most I could get out of him is that he was sad that the Little Prince had to leave his friend. I sure hope he didn't understand it could be viewed as "suicide." I had read this years ago in French class and really didn't remember it as being so sad near the end. He was not sure why it made him sad but seemed concerned that the Little Prince was okay. We discussed that he felt the Little Prince might be lonely and that made him sad. I said maybe the Little Prince had more adventures to distract him. He insisted I check to see if he could continue writing the adventures of the LIttle Prince. He wanted me to check that it was "legal"to add another part to the author's book.. He finally fell asleep.
Adult Written byarran d. August 30, 2016

Adult Written byDianna7 May 27, 2016

Amazing story. For open-minded adults and kids :)

I am a 18 year old girl. I read The Little Prince about 3 months ago and I fell in love with the book. I believe that this is an amazing story,very eye-opening. I listen sto the audiobook every now and then and I would recommend it to everyone!

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written byjwdderm February 28, 2016

The best 80 pages I've ever read!

This book is flat-out amazing. It is amazing how the author, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, managed to make a book that combined superb prose with stellar illustrations, and the result is a stoically marvelous, extremely imaginative novel. It's very short, so bring another book home from the library along with this one. Though "The Little Prince" was obviously written for children, all ages should be able to savor the poetic writing. Adults will especially enjoy the eye-candy that lurks on many of the pages.
It would be hard to find another classic that includes a line/lines so imaginative as: "His planet had three volcanoes, two active and one dormant. He used the active ones for warming his breakfast, and the dormant one as a footstool." Kudos to Saint-Exupery.

Adult Written byHappyBug October 24, 2010

An especially beautiful literary expression of suicide

An especially beautiful literary expression of suicide.