Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Lorax

Seuss fable has become environmentalist classic.

Parent Written byqtnn January 11, 2009
Adult Written byeribean8990 February 9, 2009

"Save the Planet, Listen to The Lorax!"

“I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees.” Not once have I found another children’s book that has mixed great, abstract poetry with environmental awareness and mass consumption as that of Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax. When the Once-ler comes upon the bright-colored Truffula trees, his immediate greed for the tufts turn into the destruction of an entire ecosystem. “A Thneed’s a Fine-Something-That-All-People-Need!” claims the Once-ler, as his greed turns into a big industry, chopping down all the Truffula trees and dumping his goo into the Humming-Fish pond! When out of the tree trunk comes the loveable Lorax, with his big furry mustache, speaking for the trees that cannot speak for themselves. He pleads and tries to reason with the Once-ler to think of the environment, but is ignored and must flee himself when all is destroyed. Though The Lorax is somewhat depressing, as a beautiful land is destroyed, the book introduces children to environmental awareness and the consequences of mass production. It also teaches children the consequences of greed and how it can lead to losing everything. On top of that, The Lorax teaches kids to stand up for what they are passionate for. I enjoy reading this book with young children and the creative names, words, and rhymes are fun for everyone. Though the book has a sad meaning, a little hope is restored in the end, bringing back the positive attitude of Dr. Seuss. Even though the book is for ages four to eight, it is a loveable book for people of any age! So parents, tuck your child into bed, and pick up The Lorax for a great bedtime story!