All parent member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Adult Written bymoviemadness December 29, 2009

A Deeply Disturbing Spin on Real Tragedy

A child raped and then dismembered by a serial killer in her own backyard. Isn't that a story you would go at great lengths to protect your child from if it were aired on the news? I certainly hope so. The Lovely Bones is a fictional account of the former, and a mediocrely written one at that. Alice Sebold's voyeuristic tale allows us to watch, in horrifying detail, the grief and utter destruction of an American family, as their murdered daughter looks on from above, hoping for justice. Please, parents, this is not a book that anyone shoud read. The desolate nightmare within is too heavy and taxing for any audience, much less anyone in the 12-18 age bracket.
Adult Written byCarma October 10, 2011

Let your child decide if they are ready to read it

This is very much one of those books that depends on the maturity level of your child. I think by the age of 12 they are old enough to know whether it is right for them, or if the rape and murder plot line is too much. I read this book when I was 12. I knew that I was ready to read a book with the themes The Lovely Bones has, and I liked it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bycavenoid August 2, 2010

Good for those struggling with loss, rape, death, murder.

This would be a great book for anyone who is struggling with loss, a death in the family, or murder. It gives a calming view of life after death and an honest look at consequences.
Adult Written bypenelopelenaerts April 4, 2014

teaches about family life

This book is a heart-wrenching story about a 14 year old girl, named Susie Salmon, who's veiw from heaven, after being violently raped and mudered, provides a look into a family's struggle for closure, peace, and justice. Susie's position is interesting, as she cannot fully communicate with her family but she yearns to comfort them. She looks upon her friends as well, as they grow and heal from the wound of her death. Alice Seabold's own experience with rape (as she reacls in her book "Lucky") helps create an expertly-wrtitten story. Seabold envelops you in their world;experiencing the families life as though it were a collection of touching moments, some good, some bad, observed through a window into their lives. From friends and lovers, laughing and crying, this moving story changes your entire perspective on how families are so heavily effected by death.
Adult Written byashgreen September 2, 2012

Beautiful and extremely moving, but parents should read first!

Parents, you should read this book before your child does. This book is both heart-wrenching, inspiring, and horrifying all the same time. It *does* contain themes that are highly adult and not appropriate for teens who are a little less mature. I know all parents want to think that their child is the epitome of maturity, but I would strongly suggest an objective look at your child's mental state before you let them read this book. This book describes, in graphic detail, the rape and murder of a young girl. However, that's just the first bit. The rest of the book is a deeply moving testimony of the undying love of a parent for their child, the struggle that can come from tragedy, and the deep question of "What is heaven like?". 1 in 4 women will be assaulted in her lifetime. This book is a perfect gateway to talk about rape, sexual assault, and personal safety. I read this book at 14 and bawled my eyes out from the sheer beauty of sentiment, and have read it every year since (I'm now 20). In short, amazing story, parents should read it first.
Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Must-Read Book for Ages 13 & Up

I disagree with the rating Common Sense Media gives the book of it being appropriate for only age 16 & up. Depending on maturity, this book could be appropriate for teenagers 13 & up. This book does discuss graphic situations such as sex, rape, and murder. However, I feel that any mature teenager is perfectly capable of handling these topics as they are discussed in the book. This is a very good book that teenagers and even adults will enjoy. It is a must-read for teenagers, and as a parent, I would personally suggest my own daughter reading this when she is old enough.
Parent of a 14, 14, 17, and 20 year old Written byMother of 4 Teens July 1, 2010

My 17 year old daughter Lexy, doesn't like to read. This is the first book she's read in two years, if that tells you this is good. But there are some things that scare me. I just don't want my kids turning into disturbed teens.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bycaramelcherry77 July 10, 2010

This Book Is Heart Wrenching

I think it is a very good read. Gripping . Scary to imagine and very bold on the author's part to write something so personal. I could feel the author's own story as 'Suzie' told her story.
Adult Written byfridam05 April 28, 2010

I love The Lovely Bones. It's a challenging read but successful. I really enjoyed reading this and I look forward for writers to write more books like it. I would recommend this book for young adults 16 and older because of graffic and sexual scenes.
Adult Written byCoffeeTable March 2, 2010

Mature Grade 9's and up.

I loved this book except for the end. Alot of peopel i've talked to didn't like the scene where she actually got raped and died, but possibly because i've read so many books like this that i am desensitized that i didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. The pain and loss from the family that you feel are incredible and Susie's constant reminder and search for acceptance in the afterworld to move on are very poetic. I greatly enjoyed this book as do many girls who read it in my library.