All parent member reviews for The Maze Runner: Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 1

Teens are the pawns of evil adults in violent dystopia.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bystacidar July 27, 2011

Great Dystopian

Really great dystopian with a sci-fi edge. I'm not sure I agree with the common sense review of the book saying that it is more violent than Hunger Games. I don't recall any adults murdering the teens in the open either...
Adult Written byVictor Diniz Rozek November 13, 2013

Maze runner

Just Read It
Adult Written byunknown person June 2, 2011

unknownperson

The Maze Runner was spectacular. Although it may be a little violent for young readers, it is perfect for young readers. If a film was made from the book, I wouldn't be surprised.
Educator and Parent Written byReaders Rock April 14, 2011

Great action & suspense with a futuristic twist that will intrigue many teens!

I teach high school and my students enjoy this book, especially after reading The Hunger Games Trilogy. The story has teen role models who have similar personalities to the teens of today's world. The use of alternative slang terms are a good way for the characters to express strong feelings without having the actual curse words in them. I highly recommend the story to kids who like action, adventure, sci-fi, or suspense.
Parent Written bybriannalaine March 23, 2014

Good For Appropriate Ages

These books were all really good, if hard to get into. I'm 19, and I for one would be horrified to find any kid/teen under age 14 reading this. In the Hunger Games, there were teens/kids killing other teens/kids, and other murders and somewhat violent deaths. But I found the books in this series to be much more disturbing than any of the Hunger Games. If it says anything, in The Death Cure people go insane and attack, kill, and eat other people. I don't understand how cannibalism and slow mental deterioration isn't worse than a few undescriptive, quick deaths. Also, they swear a lot, but in their own, made up, language.
Adult Written byspapel8846 September 1, 2014

Pacman as a Ghost

This is one of the best books I have ever read. Imagine the game of pacman, except the main character, Thomas, is the ghost, surrounded by pacmen trying to kill him. It's a must read if you are looking for suspense.
Adult Written byhucamucacuca December 9, 2015

It was bad

It was bad it is a weird book
Parent Written bymadrista.ac November 1, 2015

Great Book!

I think that this book was great because this is mostly like a survival story. And its about these people called the Gladers trying to survive this great maze and these things called stingers; i hop this story is great for you guys, i mean awesome. And let me tell you this you might not want to get stung buy the stingers, read the story and watch the movie after that, I hope you love it . I hop i helped.
Adult Written bycarthony August 8, 2014

A good entry

The first book in this series is a really good book. There is bad language that is not so subtly disguised by the language the kids in the Glade have invented, but there's no sex at all, no drugs, and not that much violence. It gets more violent towards the end of the book but most of the things occur off page and are never graphically described. The main monsters may disturb a lot of children, and beware that enjoying this book is going to leave your kids wanting to finish the series that gets a lot worse.
Adult Written byayana22wizard June 7, 2015

Hard to put down!!

~~~~~A lot of action, but nothing over-rated.The action was fast-paced. Almost no romance.A lot of the word 'bloody', but no other language problems. Almost all of the characters are great role models, too.~~~~~
Adult Written bysmileandhappy October 2, 2014

THE BEST

I rarely read book, especially series. The first book, The Maze Runner, gave me chill, curiosity, and brought me to a place like never before. The second book, The Scorch Trials didn't actually bring any impact on me like the first book did, but it still is a very good read. The third book tho, The Death Cure, is the best, i mean THE BEST book i've read so far, i cried, like a lot, it brought me, not just to another world, but its beyond my own wildest dream, its insane ! It's the perfect ending to this amazing spectacular series
Parent Written byWillow Green April 23, 2016

Great book...readers of The Hunger Games will love this

This book is great. With a plot that takes a surprising turn around each corner, mystery book lovers will adore this book. Romance: There are a few questionable comments when a girl shows up in "The Glade". Someone yells "I got dibs!" Another says the girl is hot. Thomas the main character seems to have feelings for her. Language: Almost all of the swears are made up, like shank, and shuck. Someone almost says the h word. Violence: Some people go insane, and there are horrible monsters in the Maze. Drinking or drugs: There is a serum to get rid of poison. Now, there is no consumerism, and there are plenty of good messages, but I won't spoil everything. Go read this book! It won't be a waste of your time.
Adult Written byKristalinne S. August 3, 2016

You should read this book

Well what I think about it is that its and awesome Book and that everyone should read all of there books
Adult Written byjmg0419 April 8, 2015

Da Best Trilogy EVER!

This book is probably the best book I've ever read, I love futuristic Sci-Fi books. It doesn't have much language BUT, i'm pretty sure shuck means F***. But other than that it sends a good message to NEVER EVERRRRRR... GIVE UP! Perseverance was the key to escape from the maze. There was some killing and blood and such though soooooo.... Plus, Thomas is a role model! I strongly suggest you read this series! I suggest that the person reading is at least 11-12 yrs old maybe even 13 to understand the concept!
Adult Written byFandomReviews January 31, 2015

The Maze Runner!

This book doesn't fail to disappoint with action scenes. It is graphic, though, with Grievers (a type of laboratory-bred creature) killing people. Lots of people die, and as you'll find out, few survive after the end of this heart-racing trilogy. There isn't any language to be worried about unless you don't approve of British cursing (Bloody heck!) and such. They use Glader slang...(shuck, shank, klunk...etc.) This book may be hard for you to read as it's quite boring unless you are really into it, and only picks up into the second book when things make more sense.
Adult Written byN.Kindred January 21, 2015

Awesome

This book was great! The violence might make it a bit iffy for sensitive kids. Intriguing plot and lots of action. A nice break from most YA books centered on romance.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byKaly S. January 26, 2017

Parent of a 10 year old

You may think that Common Sense media is spot on but really they get some things wrong. My ten year old wanted to read the Maze runner so bad I had to read it! I realized that it's not as violent as common sense media said it is. I'm a very protectant parent, so if you don't believe me read it yourself! Then make the desisions!
Adult Written byalyssa_is_a_ jock February 23, 2016

The maze runner

The maze Runner is an awesome book for kids teens and adult it gives a great message to people who get stuck in a maze. This story was about a teenage boy that was going in too a maze with a bunch of boys. He was scared and he just wanted to go home but he had to adapt to all of what they did to survive. when suddenly a girl came know one knew what that meant then she just wanted to talk to a guy named Thomas after that there was these animals/aliens/robots named the Griever these thing killed there friends until Thomas and Minho found a way to escape.Is when they are so close to getting out of the maze then one of the boys that got stung tried to kill Thomas but chuck blocked him but chuck died instead of Thomas. personally i thought this book was really good it adventurous and really sad it mad me cry when one of my favorite charters died but. Most people might want to recommend this book to there family but this time i recommend this book to people that like adventurous sad books. Below my review i said this book has an education value, great message, Great role model, too much violence because all of these make a book what it is that why i gave this book 4 stars. I also want to say for all of you that liked this book make sure that you read all of the john green books that might be a little gross but they are really good.
Adult Written bymiam1 May 19, 2015
Adult Written bymauriciob December 15, 2014

the maze runner one of the best books i read and will read it again

i read books in my life but nothing will top this book i can read this over over again and will still want to read it