Kid reviews for The Maze Runner: Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 1

Teens are the pawns of evil adults in violent dystopia.

Teen, 15 years old Written byfrank2003 February 5, 2019

a-maze-ing

I think if you need a new adventure in your life the maze runner is one of the best choices for you. You can live a life with the characters of the book and experience their moments and situations. At all it's an a-maze-ing book.

Teen, 13 years old Written byreadqueen June 17, 2013

not at all like the hunger games

i was so excited to get this book. I loved the hunger games and was lead to believe that this was just like it. I hated this book. It started out okay, until one of the boys went insane and try to eat another boy. Then they through the insane boy into a pit of monsters to be eaten. This book was way to violent. The only reason i gave this book 2 stars is because the plot line was good, even though the execution was awful.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLivie Grace August 30, 2019

Incredible!

An amazing book! The writing is great, and certain characters are really awesome (Newt and Chuck!).
However, James Dashner added some of his own creative words that might make parents and children uneasy, mostly "shuck", because it sounds like the other word. Most of the other words are alright, and "shank" doesn't mean anything bad.
I really love this book, and recommend it to any teen who likes thrilling dystopian-survival novels!

Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2019

BEST BOOK SERIES ALONG WITH HUNGER GAMES

It is the best period. It is thrilling and just a beautiful thought out plot. It has a lot of violence but it is also the reason you can't stop your self from flipping the page. but be warned reading this book will make you skip meals and will make you read until 3 am.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKendrahXo March 18, 2015

One of my Favorites

As a person who adores Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, I'm gonna have to say that this book is definitely up there. Characters such as Thomas and Newt express the importance of never giving up and brotherhood. There isn't too much violence, though there are "monsters" that lurk which may be frightening for small children, but, again, this is a book, so nothing is overly scary. There's nothing inappropriate in the book. I'm absolutely obsessed with the thrills throughout the pages and the suspenseful plot that never took my eyes off the text. This is a must read, then go watch the movie.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written bysh124313 March 23, 2019

Beat the Maze!

I really liked this book. It really grabbed my attention. I loved all the mystery and suspense and how it wrapped up in the end and can't wait to read the next one. It is a little violent however, and can scare younger readers, but there is no blood or gore which is very good for these younger readers. I feel that ten year olds and up could probably read this book without being creeped out too much. Most of the violence doesn't happen in front of the characters so you just imagine what you think might have happened. It's definitely not the sort of book I would read in early elementary school, but is a very fun read.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMascar April 10, 2011

Amazing!

Ok, so it took about 50 pages for me to actually start enjoying the book, but DONT PUT IT DOWN no matter how boring the beginning is, because the middle and ending is just plain FANTASTIC! I thought about putting the book away but my friend told me that it gets better. She was totally right! This book is a book that fits into the category "100 Must reads before you die". It is that good. Can't give anything away though. I actually thought that the Hunger Games were more violent than this book though...I would say it's for ages 12+. Amazing book, but has alot of violence in it. I can't wait to see the movie!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byKatniss March 4, 2011

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Very amazing, sounds stupid but it's not, it took like 60 pages for me to get into it but it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byleggomyeggos3 November 21, 2009

Good dystopian book.

This is a really good book especially if you're a fan of dystopian books. It's about a bunch teens getting their memory wiped and sent to the glade. Then Thomas arrives and things begin to change... The book is pretty violent. The language not much the worse is how the British say a--. However but when the characters say shuck. It sounds like their version of f--k. Anyways can't wait for the next book!

Teen, 17 years old Written bybell l December 26, 2017

great books! sex not present? Is kissing not sexual????

There is kissing in this series. There is violence in this series. But it is sooooooo awesome. And (for the record) the violence in the sequel is WAY crazier and more intense than The Hunger Games trilogy

Kid, 12 years old November 18, 2017

Amazing!

I loved this book and read it when I was ten. It's so good, it's not as violent as the hunger games but just as good! So I guess it depends on your child, if their totally into dystopian books, they will LOVE it. They don't cuss much, and if they do it isn't as bad as some books. It gets sorta scary in some parts like grievers attack the boys and girl frequently towards the end but it's not very scary in my opinion. But in the later books they have these people called cranks, basically zombies. But it's still AWESOME!
Teen, 13 years old Written byZackthePotato April 7, 2017

Good but Violent

This book was pretty good! It had lots of violence, including children in various deadly situations. For example, children were constantly at risk from being stung by a 'greiver'. After being stung, they would get memories of the old world back, which would make them lash out at other people. All in all, you have to know if your kid would be ready for this book because some kids are more sensitive to violence than others.

Teen, 14 years old Written byh.shreff.03 February 1, 2017

Great series

Considering this is the first book in the series i absolutely loved it and there are 4 more books to read as well. The thing about this book is it tells such an amazing story about a boy and his struggles with unknown organizations, new friends, and old memories that are somehow coming back. These books have made me feel every emotion from crying to laughing and i hope you'll love them as much as I did
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2015

AWESOMESAUCE!!!!!!!!!

this book stars Thomas, who finds himself in a huge maze surrounded by boys from 12-18 with their memories taken away, just like him. the characters in the book are quite diverse and make impressions on the readers in many ways.
no spoilers! so all i can say is that it is just the right thing to read in your mid teens!!!

Kid, 12 years old January 24, 2015

really good, original book is very unique and great for preteens

read if you're 12 (maybe 11) + :
-it is tense when Thomas first goes out in the maze
-its sad near the end
-theres no swearing, just made up words
-the grievers (monsters) are quite scary - people risk there lives to save others
overall great book with really unique idea

Teen, 16 years old Written byKingturnip26 April 11, 2014

Awesome! One of my favourite book series!

Awesome book, a lot of violence, but good for mature 11 year olds and up, but for the next two, probably 12 and up for there are some pretty creepy scenes involving disease infected people.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMarty.Pink.Lady March 24, 2014

Boring...

I love dystopian books and I was so excited to read it and I got about a third into it and I couldn't read it anymore. there was barely anything happening and I found it reallllly boring.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySocrates2000 December 18, 2013

The Maze Runner

I think this book is overly violent, I don't like the plot, everyone is mixed up, and it's all confusing. I might just be a typical stupid teenager, but my friend (who was also reading it, and had, in fact, suggested it to me) looked at the passage at my request and admitted that it was a little confusing. I don't really like this book. I think there were WAY too many unnecessary deaths. I thought all three in the trilogy were annoying and stupid. The PREQUEL was better, in my opinion.

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus February 4, 2013

Really good!

I really liked this book. The story was good and interesting, I liked the characters, and the pacing was also very good. There is some violence/disturbing things in the book. Some language and slang. Mostly mild; words like "crap", "butt", and "freaking". I think the demographic for this book is probably more male. However, I am a girl and still enjoyed it! I will definitely read book 2!

Kid, 12 years old September 28, 2012

Ok...

I didn't really like it. The main plot and storyline were great, and the events were creative. it wasn't a slow book at all, and very exiting. I just think the writing wasn't as advanced as other books, so it was a bit strange to read.