Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Mysterious Benedict Society

Suspenseful mystery with a Lemony Snicket vibe.

Adult Written byGauthier April 9, 2008

Great as an audio book

Our entire family listened to this book on a two day car trip. Never has a trip gone by so fast. The kids were asking to get back into the car at every stop.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byMBGeorge February 2, 2010

good for gifted children

Nice to run across a longer book with almost no troublesome content. My 7 year old is an avid reader and it is difficult to find titles with appropriate subject matter for him. This definitely fit the bill: cooperation and creative problem-solving recurred throughout the compelling narrative. I also enjoyed the anti-television meme.

Adult Written byacadiajoy April 9, 2008

Great non-violent story

My son is an advanced reader. Just because he CAN read larger text, it doesn't mean that the content is appropriate for him. This book was perfect. A smart, funny, clever story without the violence, language, and attitute that books for older children have. Super smart kids are sent on a mission to, of course, save the world, and it takes the readers along for a interesting story. I really recommend this, even as a read aloud for 5 to 6 year olds.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byfoxmead April 20, 2011

Mind control for all

my concern is that you have a group of lonely kids, longing for belonging who just too willingly go along with Mr. Benedict despite his consistant and on going deceptions. Mr. Benedict preys upon their vulnerabilities and capitolizes on the fact that these kids have no other adult to guide them. Rainy, the only child who does have a caring adult in his life is denied that healthy relationship. If you ask me the best lesson here for children is understanding how vulnerable people can be so easily taken advantage of by crazy people. I am reading this with my 9year old son and we are almost done, finally! I agree that the book is way too long and thankfully it is picking up the pace now that we at the end. Unless there is an absolutely terrific ending where the kids finally take control and find out the real intentions of Mr. Benedict then I won't be reading the rest.
Adult Written bySmilla L. January 9, 2018

Timely and engaging

I loved this book and so did my son (who is 9). He loved the drama and action, but what I loved about it was its timely connections to current politics. At first glance, this may turn some away. However, I believe that to support democracies and ethical actions, children must be educated in the ways of the tyrant. This book contains such characters who (although in a children’s book written for children) epitomize the kinds of behaviours that make for both heroes and eerily accurate villain followers within a nasty regime. The protagonists are truth-seekers, kind-hearted, and resistors of propaganda. Great for opening conversations with youngsters about what we value in our society and our personal relationships. 10/10

Adult Written byMs.M October 23, 2011

Great for gifted/talented kids

I teach gifted students and found this book to have a positive message for gifted kids who sometimes feel out of place because of their level of intelligence. I thought the friendships created between the characters were wonderful because it showed that even though each child was highly intelligent all on their own, they were much stronger as a team.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byCarmenGreatReads March 21, 2011

the mysterious benedict society!!!:)

awesome book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Intelligent adventure for and about intelligent kids

Kind of "1984" or "The X-Men" for kids, although with a far more upbeat sensibility. 4 children, each with a special talent and a non-existent family life, are recruited by the mysterious Mr Benedict to infiltrate the ominous sounding Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened. The Institute, headed by the even more mysterious and diabolical Mr. Curtain, appears to be broadcasting secret mind control messages via tv signals, for nefarious ends. It's up to mega brain Sticky, adventuresome, resourceful Kate, mulish Constance, and intrepid puzzle solver Reynie to thwart Mr. Curtain, outwit his sinister "Executives" and "Messengers", and generally save the world. A terrific page turner, with well drawn, smart characters and a tingly sense of danger and paranoia. One of the best children's books I've read in years.

Adult Written byMy4sons May 16, 2012

Good series - like this author

My sons really enjoys this series. It is one of the few newer kids series that is actually appropriate for kids.
Adult Written byPacPalGal February 3, 2009

A great adventure

Each character in the book is uniquely talented, but in very different ways. They can only solve the mystery by working together. As they do, they come to appreciate each others' talents. A fun adventure that is inspiring without being preachy.
Adult Written by♡gīłłīåñrøšę♡ August 5, 2015

tbh my fave

This book (actually the entire series) was my favorite as a kid. (For those of you who want context, I'm 18.) They're very entertaining books and although they ARE kids books, they're still entertaining at all ages. Maybe it's because I loved them as a kid, but I recently reread the entire series and I still loved it. The books are long but they're very enjoyable and the characters are all great. There's some violence but it's not really bad at all in the first book it's VERY mild, it's nothing scary and there's no guns in the books ever (which is unrealistic but good for kids), and it's all just good guys fighting bad guys etc. It's a very exaggerated unrealistic situation and setting and stuff but that's what sets the tone of the book, it's not a bad thing. Anyways 10/10 would highly recommend. ((And there are three books, each almost 500 pages. It keeps you busy for a while.))

Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byMs Shelly March 5, 2012

READ IT READ IT READ IT

I am 9 years old, and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is inspiring and adventurous, and it pushes kids to keep trying.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

A series worth reading

A very, very good book I think is appropriate for ages 8 and up however children under 10 may have troubles understanding the actual book but it would be fine if read to them. Very highly recomended!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bycew22202 June 29, 2010

Wonderful characters; funny and intelligent storyline

My daughter's favorite book! The 4 main characters a fabulous.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bybarkley a January 15, 2018

Fantastic adventure tale that is eerily prescient

Our entire family enjoyed this book. Great characters on an exciting (child-led) adventure--and my daughter was the one who first noted connections to current events. Without being heavy-handed, the book reminds readers of the importance of thinking for one's self.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bymallet April 21, 2010

Good for Gifted Children

Found this book to be a fun read and my child read it in two days. I really found nothing concerning about this book in fact I thought the action and fights were appropriate to the story of good vs. EVIL without over playing the violence of a fight. Using the characters wit more often to win instead of brute power.

Parent of a 11 year old Written bydollydude890 September 30, 2009
I think the mysterious benedict society is a fun and fantastic book for children eight and up

Adult Written byUnicorn 21 September 5, 2011

BEST BOOK EVER

This is an amazing story and i have read it 5 times and i still think it is an amazing story and i cannot wait until they make the 4th one im so exited :)

Parent of a 10 year old Written byScienceIn May 19, 2011

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byJojano March 7, 2010
Our family (mom, dad, age 6 daughter, age 8 son) listened to this book on CD on a four week car trip, and we all LOVED it. We did have to pause the CD a few times to clarify what was going on for my six year old. It is my son's favorite book, and he is reading it again on his own.