Kid reviews for The Name of the Star: Shades of London, Book 1

Macabre modern Ripper meets hip Brit boarding school.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Teen, 13 years old Written byVenezia April 12, 2013

great book but suggestive material and gory scenes

First of all this an AMAZING book. I have definetely read it more than once and still oving it. The CSM summary doesn't state everything. Rory DOES talk about her past relationships and make out scenes. She also describes in depth a make out session with her BF and how she was on the floor. Another prob is violence because the prologue is a girl who is walking and texting then steps into a pool of blood with a body and describes the body. Spoiler: the body has no head and she notices when she feels for the neck to check a pulse but sees its not there.
Despite the gory scenes and heavy sexual tension, the book is extremely enjoyable with a lot of plot twists. I recommend if u like mysteries!

Teen, 17 years old Written bySofabanana May 28, 2020

Can't wait to read the sequel

This book is really good. I love the characters, and the story. I personally don't like sci-fi/fantasy elements all that much, but this time I think it was done incredibly well. I loved the plot, and it always kept me on my toes. I also adored the style of writing and I seriously can't wait to buy the second book!
Kid, 9 years old April 24, 2018

Great book, but for mature kids+teens

The Name Of The Star is about a girl named Rory, who arrives in London to attend a boarding school called Wexford when a series of Jack The Ripper copycat murders start happening across the city. I was enthralled by the plot setup immediately and couldn’t stop reading this. The book has a great twist that will be unexpected and adds some tension to the book. If you like this book it is part of a series of 3 or 4 books. Also, Maureen Johnson has a new book called Truly Devious I would definitely recommend. Although there was some (legal) drinking by kids under 21, some suggestive material, and gory scenes that would be inappropriate and probably scary for children under 11, I would say that this book is pretty clean for a young adult novel. Overall, this is a very good book and I recommend it.

Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2014

Great Read

I am 12 years old and I am not usually into ghosts and killer books. This book was an exception. It had well set-up mystery. There is also a lot of action, but my favorite part is when Rory is at her boarding school. There are great characters and the story seems like realistic fiction. But it is defiantly not. A great read for any mature reader!

Teen, 14 years old Written bymargaret99 March 19, 2014

Great Book

This is one of my most favorite books ever. I will read it over and over again. It has a lot of action and supernatural aspects to it that I love. This is a great book for teen looking for a good book.