All parent member reviews for The Outsiders

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bycheesecake125 February 28, 2011

Educational

This book teaches kids about prejudice and violence as Ponyboy Curtis overcomes so. It could get too violent and language wasn't too bad, but I trust the school in giving the book to its students.
Adult Written byAandKBBF01 April 9, 2008

Really interested in it!

I think this book was awesome!! It made me laugh at times and it also made me cry! My rating on this book would be a five star or maybe even a ten if I could give a higher rating! But I don't want to say much about the book just in case you haven't read it yet! READ IT, IT'S A GOOD BOOK!
Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008

>D

Ah, my favorite book in the world. However, it's not for kids. Well, not little kids. I first read this when I was 13 (which was about seven years ago) and I fell in love. This book has lots of violence and adult themes, but it is superbly written. If you've got this book, don't let the little kiddies find it, but teens will love it. (Especially teenage girls! ^o^)
Adult Written bykingxpride October 26, 2009

wowowow

i like this book beacuse i showas wut happens in life
Adult Written bymoviemaker201 September 9, 2013

The Outsiders

One of the best books I've ever picked up. The variety of characters and the fast pacing made me not want to put it down. Ponyboy is a fourteen-year-old in the 1950's. He's a greaser, and is constantly hunted by the rich Socs, who all share a loathing of the poor, rough greasers. But his buddies in his gang have his back. All is normal until he and his buddy Johnny are jumped by a gang of Socs and, in self defense, Johnny stabs a Soc to death. The events following this incident will test his bond with his fellow gang members as they flee the law and fight the Socs. Violence: 8/10 ----- Stabbings, burns, beatings, and more, this book is not for the faint of heart. Those with wild imaginations will definitely see a brutal, bloody, R-rated picture in their head. ----- Language: 7/10 ----- D*mn and H*ll are the worst written in the book, but strong expletives are alluded to, and if the reader knows all of the dirtiest words in the book, they'll imagine them in certain sentences though they are not written. An example: Two-Bit proceeded to gleefully call the Socs by every name and word he knew. ----- Sex: 4/10 ----- Some references and flirting. ----- Drugs: 7/10 ----- Teens drink and smoke constantly.
Adult Written bySveagal April 12, 2010

Classroom Stape and Must Read for Young Teens

As a teacher I find this book a staple in my classroom. The message of people are generally the same though we come from different backgrounds is pointed and quiet powerful. Additionally, there is the pushing that as a kid/teenager you CAN do something about what you believe in and be more than a passive recipient of whatever comes your way can give hope to many struggling students. There is violence in the book which is why I recommend reading it out loud and discussing what is happening. Is violence the best answer in the situation? Is it going to do any good in this situation? Is the character forced into what happened? You can also examine the idea of redemption and doing the right thing as is the case with the character Johnny who decides to turn himself in to the police. There is also ample opportunity to look critically at family life and the struggles of loosing someone and how we deal with grief. Concepts about does revenge help in the end? can be talked about as well. Overall, I am a huge supporter of this story. There is so much that can be discussed and in a society that is having an increase in gangs and violence in youth, this is an opportunity to see and discuss the results of those choices that will be in the future of those teens who choose to go down that road.
Adult Written bySw12 January 23, 2015

Liked it!

I don't recommend it for 9-year-olds because it has some things that are not really safe to hear, but I do recommended for 11 and up (6th-12th). Overall, it was a great story. We had the ability in out minds to travel back in the 60's and imagine what it was like. Ponyboy, age 14, told us about his life. How he lived, what he thought of it, ect. It gives a picture in our mind, just think about. The character's looks and action all pops up into our minds. This is about I have to say for now, but you will see for yourself when you get a chance to read it.
Adult Written byFlamingoX April 9, 2008

Amazing Book

You literally cannot put this book down! You get sucked in, and attached to every character. The best authors get you attached to the characters, and The Outsiders sure got that down. You feel compassion towards these kids and wish you were there fighting with them. This book does have a few questionable material so I'd say 14+ as long as you read it in the right state of mind it's fine. The movie though is pretty horrible.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byCaoimheMorana September 14, 2010

Must Read!!

Yes, the rumble scene is greatly decsribed and there is other mild violence throughout the book, but overall, it's a wonderful read. I still enjoy reading it myself and with two boy who hate reading, it's a hit. The story, though written in a different era, speaks to all generations in some way and kids of today can relate with the themes mentioned.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bycatcooperno January 23, 2012

Too much and still wonderful.

I read this book when I was 10 and couldn't put it down. I think I read it ten times in a row that summer. I can't say what drove me to obsess about it so much, but I did love it. Every one of the characters touched me, and it taught me a lot about the differences in social classes and what life would be like without parents. It was such a revelation when I used to try to dress as a greaser with my jean jacket, etc., and my mom told me I was really a Soc! Great learning moment in my life. My brother was reading it for school in 7th grade, so that's why I had my hands on it in 5th. I do think today we protect our kids a little more, so I would wait until my kids were 12 or so before introducing it to them.
Adult Written bySirenStar November 5, 2011

Terrific classic literature under-reviewed by Common Sense. A MUST READ!!

This is one of my favorite books of all time! It was required reading in 7th grade for me (and it most likely will be required reading for your children someday) and I immediately went and bought the book after finishing it at school; I still have that copy to this day. It's almost insulting that Common Sense deemed it "far from great literature". It is AMAZING classic literature that millions of teens and adults have enjoyed over and over again. You MUST read it if you haven't. You won't regret it!
Parent of a 3, 6, and 12 year old Written bymydaughtersalad... November 19, 2009
Adult Written byBIG BALLER 001 April 9, 2008
Educator and Parent Written byJIDDINS October 28, 2015

A classic! A class-conscious coming-of-age tale!

I usually open up the 8th grade year by having my students read this book in groups, along with discussion questions. They are quickly hooked by the action-packed plot. The book is incredibly well written for how young the author was when she wrote it. I attribute much of its success to her insightful documentation and recreation of the troubling social situations of her youth. This is an excellent book for classroom discussion or personal interest!
Adult Written bydeformedguy1 April 9, 2008

its a good book

the book is good for teens mainly because the author was a teen at the time!
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymamacat531 February 18, 2014
Adult Written bytomato April 9, 2008
Adult Written byflanhan April 9, 2008

Great Book for Seventh Grade and Up

This is a great book that I read in seventh grade. It was also the same year the movie came out and our class went on a field trip to the movie. Read it with your teen and discuss how social class in schools has not changed throughout the years. The names of the groups of kids may have changed, but there are still the Socs and Greasers.
Parent Written byMimi000001 June 22, 2011

Great Book For Certain People

When you read this book read the ratings and YOU should look through the book and see if it is something you want your child reading
Adult Written byCoopGjonbalaj January 12, 2015

Good book

I read this book during our independent reading section for my English class. Most of my classmates already read the book and some told me to read it. I really liked the book and how everything came together. The characters were awesome and I could relate to most things in this book. The brothers always tried to stay together because they knew they were stronger together than separate. This is like my family. I recommend this book to everyone. I don't read a whole lot of books but this one that I read really got my attention. Read this book you will like it.