All teen and kid member reviews for The Outsiders

Teen, 14 years old Written bygabec12 March 28, 2011

Great

This was a phenomenal book hands down. "Nothing gold stays" was the theme. It gives you a great message but a sad ending.
Teen, 13 years old Written bychowchowpoodle May 14, 2011
I am 13 years old, and I loved this book. We read it at SCHOOL for my english class, and i swear, the only thing i had a problem with was the smoking. The message it gives out is really good and inspirational. I would totally recomend this book to any teenager.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDanny B June 14, 2010

Excellent Book From 60s

Teen, 14 years old Written byBook Review U. April 9, 2008

Battle Against The Socs - A Review by Izzy

A boy named Ponyboy, and his two brothers, Sodapop and Derry, turn into hoodlums when their parents die in a car crash. They join a group of hoods: Johnny, 2-Bit, Steve and Dally. They are in a battle against the Socs, who are spoiled and very rich. The Socs always jump the hoods (Greasers) when they are alone. They all have parts to play: Dally is the tough guy, 2-Bit is known for his switchblade, Steve is known to mess around a lot, Sodapop comforts people, Johnny is the pet of the gang, and Ponyboy is the youngest at the age of fourteen. There are two other gangs of greasers. I really enjoyed this story because it is very graphic – there is a lot of violence and blood, and also it is very sad at points. It makes it so you cling to the book with excitement, and it also lets you understand it better because it has more detail. It also has a great plot and storyline. It is very well written and the author, S.E. Hinton, was only 16 when she started this great book. I think it would be great for eleven up, definitely NOT under ten, but if you are a teen and you’ve read any books like this, I strongly recommend this book for you.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovielover728 June 4, 2015

one of the best books ever

Violence:4/5 a rumble happens, 2 GREASERS die, 1 by suicide. Ponboy's parents die in a car crash. Darry acidentally slaps ponyboy. A fire. One greaser kills someone in order to protect a freind. characters get jumped. One character nearly dies by a jumping. Blood. A character is abused at home. Knifes. One character is known for a life of crime Sex:1/5 One character is described movie star handsome and all the ladies love him. Flirting. A character is implied that she is pregnant. Language: Hell,Dammit. Stronger words are replaced by blanks. Drinking,drugs and smoking: characters smoke some drink
Kid, 12 years old July 29, 2013

The Outsiders...

This is a great book for pre-teens/teens. Personally my favorite, it is a suspenseful and moving tale about two rival teen "gangs".
Teen, 13 years old Written byalways a reader April 27, 2010
i am reading this for my literature class and i am 12 i am only starting chapter three and have fallen in love with the book and the charachters two-bit ponyboy sodapop and johnny. I think i will definitly enjoy reading the rest of this book. A boy last year had to read this for the same class. He didn't get very good grades and didn't seem to care about his school work he doesn't really read books for fun, but he seemed to like this one. He read it in one day and i don't blame him!
Teen, 13 years old Written bypanda. February 28, 2012

The Outsider=Amazing

This book was an amazing book, it is added to my favorite books list! This book has a great sense of friendships. It obviously has drugs in it! This was during the 1950's, most people didn't know the effects of drinking and doing drugs at a young age. I think everyone should read it! This book was so sad :'( but it still gave out messages every teen could use.
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2011

The outsiders

I read this book and loved it! I started at 10:00 pm and did not put it down until i finished it at 1:00 am! It might be disturbing to other kids when Johnay killed that guy and the rumble and when *SPOILER* Dally got shot, but I enjoyed it. <3Nessie<3
Teen, 13 years old Written byLILPEACHY18 November 21, 2010

AMAZING!

i read this book when i was 12 for summer reading and i absolutely loved it... i didnt want to leave from the book. i love s.e. hinton she's a great author and i love all her books
Teen, 14 years old Written byuzda4ce April 19, 2015

Alright book

Ok book with a plot of two sides. Greasers and Socs. The book is about the two sides fighting with each other about things.
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2012

Amazing

Best book I've read in school
Teen, 14 years old Written byi heart reading December 28, 2010

great book

This is a very exciting book and I loved reading it. The book is about two rival gangs the greasers and the Socs, and it is told in the point of veiw of a greaser named Ponyboy. The gangs fight each other and the book is very violent, but it is exspressed in the book by Ponyboy that fighting tears people apart, and that fighting doesnt solve anything but makes things worse.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydeadlinefan123 March 13, 2010

Good book

I read this and im about 14. i personally think its a little unrealistic because of the happy ending but all in all it was a good book. if you dont know if your kids schould read it, just read it a little my only concern would be the fact that they smoke and fight
Teen, 15 years old Written bykv4 April 9, 2008

If you're 9 and up this book is for you!

This book describes the life of day to day life in a gang, violence and more. But it also depicts the life of the main character Ponyboy, a smart boy in a gang. Now that doesn't really make any sense, does it, but when you hear of his past, you see that his gang isn't so much as a gang but more as a family. It also describes the other boys in the gang. Johnny, an unwilling victim of beatings from his father, the gang helps him through and stops him leaving them several times, not mentioned in detail. Dally imprioned at the age of ten, he had never seen anything, but drugs and violence in his life. As the book progresses the background of these characters unfolds and explains why they have such a life. If they had just been taught, or something had not happened in their past, they might have been normal well kempt teens. This story also shows how it is to be poor and live on the east side of town, discriminated and jumped by the rich teens who live on the west. One day the bullying just gets to a life threatening position, so 16 year old Johnny just does what he has to, to save his friend's life, but in the end Johnny kills the rich, bullying, west side living, soc, a name used by the east side kids to seperate the east side from the west side, and the east side's are all called by the west side's greasers. Johnny and Ponyboy are on the run from the cops, Dally, the street smart guy gives them money, a plan, and a hide out in an old church. The story tumbles from there. One day the church was having a picnic and when Ponyboy and Johnny come back they realize that one of them was careless with their cigarettes, and the whole church was blazing. Their were several children still stuck inside, so Ponyboy and Johnny, did the only thing they could, think of, they ran into the church, they got all the children out, but Ponyboy and Johnny got a bad blow. Dally jumped in just in time to save Ponyboy, but the roof had caved in on Johnny burning and breaking his back. Johnny was slowly weakening in the hospital where they were taken, how could Ponyboy learn to survive the loss of a friend, maybe more if Dally learns that Johnny is dying. Johnny was the only thing Dally could ever learn to love, like a younger brother, Johnny was the only one who could get away with talking back to Dally. But when Dally learns the only thing he made room in his heart of ice to love, how will Dally get through? Read on.
Teen, 13 years old Written byalexandria55 February 25, 2016

Book Review

The Outsiders Author: S.E. Hinton~Genre:Fiction PLOT The Outsiders takes place in Tulsa, Oklahoma 1965. The main character is Ponyboy Curtis. Ponyboy is 14, has light brown/red hair, and has a greenish-gray eye color. He has hair longer than most boys usually have and he looks like an average Greaser. The other main characters in The Outsiders are Sodapop Curtis,Dallas Winston,Darry Curtis, and Johnny Cade. So the Outsiders is about Ponyboy Curtis. Ponyboy is a unique kid. He lives with his 2 brothers Darry and Sodapop. His Mother and Father were in a car accident and things were stressful for Ponyboy,Darry, and Sodapop. Darry being the oldest (20 yrs.) has to work and take care of his younger brothers stressing him out even more. But Ponyboy and Sodapop try their best to stay out of trouble. Anyways, they are known as Greasers “lower class,” and they have a group of friends. The gang members are ,Darry,Sodapop,Ponyboy,Johnny Cade,Dallas Winston, Steve, and Two-Bit Matthew. Ponyboy is very persistent, original, and passionate. So one Ponyboy ends up walking home alone. Which is very dangerous considering the possibilities that could happen. As he's walking home he sees the Socs. His rival's also known as “west-side rich kids.” They get out the car and start to bother him. They call him names, push him around, and ended trying fight him. They even threaten and injured him. But before they could possibly hurt him his gang comes to the rescue helping him. The next day Ponyboy, Johnny and Dallas go to the drive-in. In the drive in they meet Sherri Valance and Marcia. After the movies Sherri asks them to walk her and Marcia home. They do and as they walk they see the Socs. The Socs end up coming out of their car again and start yelling at Ponyboy and Johnny. Sherri ends up going home with the Socs. Ponyboy started to get tired of the harassment. Later on Ponyboy and Johnny get into a fight at home and run to the park and the Socs pull up. They were drunk and wanting to start a fight. So the Greasers and Socs start to fight but it was 4 against 2. The Socs grab Ponyboy and try drowning him and start to succeed. So Johnny grabs a blade and kills the Socs. Once Johnny and Ponyboy realized what happened they immediately run to Dallas and he tells them to go to an abandon church and gives them some money. And that's where Ponyboy is passionate with his writting. As the story goes on he write what he feels it’s almost a diary. Lastly, The theme of the story is You are who you are, so be an outsider if you want to because you're original and nobody is like you. Ponyboy showed his orginal side by standing up to the Socs. PERSONAL EXPERIENCES I can relate to Ponyboy because he felt like an outsider and was scared about the future. I have felt alone,outside, and scared for the future many times. Ponyboy is fragile and very sensitive. For example, when I moved back to Montclair I had no idea what to think. Mainly because I was scared of the future. I was stuck in the past. And I believe that's what Ponyboy felt like. OPINION In my opinion, this book was amazing. I feel like it gave a positive message to the readers. It gave me and good and positive perspective of things. My favorite part of the book is when the first chapter. He explains what's happening in his life and what he's going through. My least favorite part was when the Socs beat him up the first time for no reason. They were cruel to him. I would not change anything at all. RECOMMENDATION In my most honest opinion, I would of course, recommend this to someone. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Greasers and the movie Grease/anyone. I recommend The Outsiders to anyone because it's an interesting,fascinating, and all amazing.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydn200401 November 25, 2015

The Outsiders: Book Review

Tittle:The Outsiders|Author:S.E. Hinton|Genre:Non-Fiction This book is about a kid named Pony Boy that ran away from home because his brother slapped him across the face. In the story the main characters are Ponyboy, Jonhny,and Dallas. When Ponyboy's brother hit him it caused him to run away. He missed his brother Sodapop because he always stood by Pony's. I can't really related to anyone in the story because im not a gang type of person. This book was very interesting because of the adventures Ponyboy had to go through with his friend. My favorite part of the book was when Ponyboy and his best friend where at the park and was being attacked by the "rich". They ended out killing one of the "rich" and were getting chased by the cops.They had their faces on the news papers and everything. One part i would change would be to change the fact that Pony's befriend died. I would recommend this book to people who like reading about adventure. I would recommend this book to peple 7th grade+.
Kid, 12 years old September 28, 2012

The outsiders book review

The story The Outsiders sticks to your hands like gorilla glue, if you have butter fingers it doesn’t matter it’ll stick on you forever! This book is made by S.E Hinton when she was only 16 years old and she put all these details in this story and wow this has details if you love action and soul touching books you’ll love this book; I guarantee it! This story means something to me because I’m not a reader; I’m a gamer. This book is about greasers and Socs a war that will never come to an end. There are big conflicts in this story between Ponyboy Curtis (narrator/main character/younger brother) and Darrel Curtis (older brother) Pony thinks Darry doesn’t like him. Once upon a time a man named Darry got so frustrated with Ponyboy he couldn’t take it so he slapped Pony like there’s no tomorrow, that forced Ponyboy and Johnny (Pony’s best friend) to flee their neighborhood to go to Windrixville to hide in an abandoned church to hide from the fuzz because they have murder a Soc, Bob an innocent boozed up Soc got to boozed up he was going to kill Pony but Johnny came in for the kill. And it was all to a stop all the Socs ran away like nothing happened. Ponyboy green eyed dreamer that hates fights is a loving character that you will love. Dally, Dally, Dally most violent one in the greasers gang who got arrested when he was only ten the one who’s been in jail the one guy that gets soft when the one he loved died……….Sodapop a wild fun guy that lost his girlfriend because she was pregnant but he didn’t do it.Two Bit the one who always crakes up the jokes and makes everybody laugh. Steve the tough real mean guy who’s best friends with Sodapop doesn’t really like pony that much. Randy the Soc who does not want to be a part of the greaser vs. Socs anymore he sick of it his best friend got killed by a greaser and finally Sherry also known as Cherry the red head the one who also watches sunsets also has green eyes is innocent and hates fights just like Ponyboy.. When Dally picked up Johnny and Ponyboy they went to get brunch because they haven’t ate for 4 days when they got back the church was on fire there were teachers up on the hill screaming for the missing kids they realized they have been trapped in the church So Johnny and pony jumped out of the car and went inside to try to save the children... Overall this book is amazing it has all the actions that you want in a book and also a lot of heartwarming parts, too and trust me you’ll never forget this book until you’re in your grave promise me I’m not lying…
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 16, 2012

Really good!

I loved this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byspurpop November 24, 2010
This book is a classic. saying it's iffy for 15 year olds? give me a break. if you think your 15 year old doesn't know about fighting you need a reality check. this book is a classic! Im 13 and it's one of my favorites!