Parent and Kid Reviews on

The Pearl Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 6 parent reviews

Sort by:

Great book but not for every audience or teacher

My son had to head this book for 6th grade ELA. He absolutely hated it. It was an awful choice for an 11 year old boy. While I think the book itself is beautiful, I think that as an adult. I think there are so many amazing books for YA audience these days that I really think using this book for 6th graders is a very poor choice on behalf of the teacher. My son loves to read and never hated his teachers' choices until this teacher chose books with great literary value and weight but without paying enough attention to her "audience" (for lack of better word.)

1 person found this helpful.

Brandon's Review

A Mexican baby got bit by a scorpion and the mother asked for a doctor, the only strange thing was that she never asked for help. When she came to a doctor and the doctor rejected the baby. So the family when to go search for a pearl. Once they found the pearl the the family found out that the pearl was pure evil. So then they wanted to destroy it but never did it. The pearls evil is the central conflict. Money is not always power. This book is a very good book because you learn a lot about Mexican culture. I would recommend this book to people who like adventures.

Th Pearl

This is a really good book for ages 11+ because it has a really good conflict about the pearl. Like his father and grandfather before him, Kino is a diver, gathering pearls from the gulf beds that once brought great wealth to the kings of Spain and now provide Kino, Juana, and their infant son. Then, on a day like any other, Kino emerges from the sea with a pearl as large as a sea gull’s egg. With the pearl comes hope, the promise of comfort and of security. The Pearl explores the secrets of man’s nature, greed, the darkest depths of evil, and the possibilities of love.

Terrible book

What an awful piece of literature! The whole story is greed , terribly written, awful from start to finish.

Very enjoyable.

This is one of my favorite books.I love The Pearl.It's an awesome book.I've read better but this book is still a great book.Sure there is some violence,but it is still extremely enjoyable.I love this book so much.Buy it and read it as long as you want.

Not as good as Of Mice And Men, but still a great Steinbeck book!

This book has actually appealed to me! It has a nice setting, story, characters, and an easy way to read! The family try to survive when thieves try to take their precious pearl. Will they find a way off their island? Find out and read it!