Kid reviews for The Pearl

Beautiful folk tale explores good and evil in human nature.

Teen, 13 years old Written byZangoose March 11, 2013

I don't think it's worth the time.

I felt that this book focused too much on the main character having "songs" come up in his mind whenever something interesting happened and that the book had a lot of things mentioning "the gods" and whatnot. The ending is also disappointing.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 6, 2013

the pearl

a good story, but not outstanding, dont see why its a classic.

Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2016

Terrible in my opinion

It really just dragged on in my opinion. Normally you can't drag me out of a book once I've started it, but I had to use sheer willpower to get through it instead of any enjoyment. Would not recommend.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLibrarymouse June 4, 2015

Ennhhhhh

Just okay. I read it online, which could have been part of the problem, but I found it difficult to stay focused. It was more of a long fable than a book or story. I also didn't notice that someone had died until a few pages later. Whoops.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus January 16, 2013

Really good!

I read The Pearl for English class and I really liked it! Steinbeck is an amazing author! I love his writing style. The main characters in this book are Kino, his wife Juana, and their baby. He does an amazing job at portraying them as a loving couple and seeing how well they communicate with each other without much dialogue. The story was kind of short and I wish it would have been longer. About a year ago I tried to read The Grapes of Wrath and barely got into it. But now I'm thinking I might go back and try reading it again. Awesome classic book from a timeless author!!!!

Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviefan115 August 24, 2012

The Pearl

It's such a beautiful book fulled with excellant details and wonderful characters whom the reader falls in love wih. Thank you, John Steinbeck. Spoiler: This book is really drepressing.

Teen, 16 years old Written byjhope May 16, 2017

The Pearl

I feel it is a great book but be prepared for a few people get killed. I baby gets shot in the end and Kino kills 2 men. It's great educational book. Does talk about Magic, Evil, Charms, Spells. So if you would not like your kid read that I suggest talking to the teacher.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySalty_Ice August 24, 2017

A true classic.

Steinbeck,as well all know is an author with multiple classics under his belt. The Pearl, being no exception is truly wonderful. While being filled to the brim with figurative language, and mature themes it comes to no surprise this is a popular choice among many readers! Please read this book if you haven't! (P.S Kids, don't complain about pacing till War and Peace!)

Teen, 13 years old Written byJoe-Daniel August 5, 2017

It's like reading any other book from its time.

I had to do this for a lesson even though i know how to read. This book is very similar in plot to many books: They have quarrel with something/someone. They are willing to kill/turn in. They have a deep connection. The book was very boring but i could easily organize myself to read it. There were stupid scenes. Like him opening his mouth or his teeth filled with rage. It sounded like someone of my age group wrote it. But you got to do what you got to do.

Teen, 14 years old Written byfaith00 October 15, 2018

terrible

This book is the worst. No meaning and a complete waste of time.