Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 23 kid reviews

Sort by:

Not good

BAD. Literally can't stand this book, Stinkback presents a family wanting to break their cycle of poverty as greedy and immoral, when they literally didn't even have enough money to pay a doctor to examine their dying son. Mr. nasty little Stinkback wrote a boring story with idiotic morals and overall a nasty little stench.

The Pearl.... The Most Boring Book I've Read.

Ugh. Where do I begin? This book is overall boring and I'm open to reading new books, but the story and overall plot is disappointing. In the book, they find their solution quickly, then get other problems ahead of them, and it seems like the writer was just trying to add more and more ideas onto this conglomerated mess. Also, in the first chapter there is racism and overall hate the doctor is giving the people. The representation of the doctor is fatphobic, as the doctor has a rude and quick-tempered attitude and is only overweight for comedic relief, as the doctor is described as being unprofessional and inexperienced. This book was assigned to us to read and have a lesson taught to us- but I don't even want to read 1 more page of this boring book!

BAD BOOK, DON"T EVER READ IT DURING YOUR LIFETIME, AS IT IS THE WORST BOOK EVER IN HISTORY, PERIOD, END OF STORY!

Dude, you have been warned: NEVER EVER READ THIS STUPID BOOK AGAIN!

Deep but boring

On a personal level, this was a very boring book. They made us read it for my English class, and personally it was super boring and was not enjoyable to read even though I love to read. But I believe that it has very important lessons, and that it is good they are being presented in this book. It's supposed to teach people about things like racism, classism, and sexism, and those are very important to learn about. I really liked talking about the themes and meanings of the book, but it was not entertaining to read.

Alright

It's sort of violent (It is very short only 90 pages so you could read this in about an hour)

Honestly.... pretty good

Let me just address that I am literally disgusted by all the bad reviews that teens or 'children' gave this book. 'i hAte thiS booK bC iT is onLy fOR nerDs! booOOorinG! sChool maDE uSS ReaD iT'. Please disregard those reviews from your mind. This book was actually pretty good. I believe that there were many themes in this story which contributed to the whole plot very well. Kids need to read these things. Of course this wasn't the BEST book.... I feel as if the book 'Touching Spirit Bear' is so much better than this book. Teaches people of every age many ideas, themes, overall good morals. Literally this changed my perspective on everything... no cap. Here's the pdf even if you are interested https://mrscrowther7.weebly.com/uploads/6/0/1/2/60126111/touching_spiri…

Most important part

This book does have traditional gender roles, however in this case it is not a bad thing. John Steinbeck is very ahead of his time in this book. In regards to the way he portrays the natives in this book, I would not say that it is belittling them, but more exposing the disparity that they face in their position. The most important thing in this book is its interpretation, it can be interpreted many different ways and have different meanings to different people. I would suggest this book for boys. The reason for this is as I said before it has traditional gender roles. In this book they serve a different purpose. In this book it exposes man. In today's world it is very hard to understand many things in regards to gender, but this book shows deep down what makes a man tick, in a way that I would say might give purpose to many boys without. However, as I said before this book has many interpretations. It can have a very good influence on a young man, being a short book. I would suggest that the parents read it first. If you see fit, I would highly suggest this book to anyone.

This book is good for nerds

Boring and Depressing good for nerds though

The Pearl

The Pearl I feel has a great theme in the end, and there is some violence and for some parts kids need to be mature, so I don’t think a 12 year olds and under should read this because I know a lot of kids these ages are immature and get sad and sensitive too easily. Honestly I would not read this book if it wasn't recommended for me to read by my teacher. I don’t really like the characters either accept from the wife Juana because she wasn’t as dumb as the main character. There’s a lot of vocabulary that I don’t know in this book so reading this book I think can expand your vocabulary. I like how sometimes the author described certain things. This book can create a good lesson about greediness. As others say it can be quite boring there are some parts where it seems to get interesting though, anyways I wish I never wasted my time reading this book but I managed to read it, so yes it’s readable since its not that tremendously boring. I do the the subject and what this book is about is boring though, this book is mostly just over a pearl I’m not sure if I’m too young to understand the greatness of this book but maybe people who are older do get the greatness of this book.

Another Great Steinbeck Book

This book is such a great experience, I read it in 2 days at home because I was so entwined with the narrative and the metaphorical context of this novella. It starts off hopeful and lighthearted, with a underlying message of kindness and greed. When things take a seriously dark turn, you have no idea what’s going to happen next.