All teen and kid member reviews for The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

Kid, 9 years old March 1, 2009

Very Interesting Book

I just finished this book today and I gotta say, it was very good. I would recommend this for any child.
Kid, 11 years old September 26, 2010
I love this book It Is the Best book ever
Teen, 14 years old Written byHappy Bookworm April 20, 2013

Truly an Amazing Book!

This book is awesome! Any child would like it, as long as they're not into action-action-action-action books (or it could be a break from action-action-action-action). Rosalind is a responsible older sister, Skye is sassy and very intelligent, Jane is imaginative and a thinker, and Batty is childishly silly and innocent, just as a four-year old should be. Areas of Praise: Educational Value- Skye and Jane both are deep thinkers, but in different ways. Skye teaches herself algebra for fun, and Jane writes her own stories. Some kids will want to follow their lead and write their own stories, or show interest in algebra. Positive Messages: This is a story about a family, broken (the mother died from cancer after Batty was born), yet close knit. Every Penderwick loves the others, even Skye and Jane, who fight a lot, and Skye and Batty, who don't understand each other very well. The sisters are very caring towards each other and have meetings called MOPS (Meetings of Penderwick sisters) and MOOPS, which is for everyone but Batty, who does sometimes feel left out. Jeffrey stands up to his mother, not shown in the best light, a fussy yet classy single mom with pride for her garden and no time for Jeffrey, and things work out for everyone. Positive Role Models: Like I said earlier, some kids will want to emulate Jane and Skye's love for learning, but also Rosalind's level-headedness (most of the time), Jeffrey's passion for music, Cagney's kindness towards Batty, and Jane, Skye, and Jeffrey's love for soccer. Areas of Concern: Sex: Rosalind has a crush on Cagney, but it amounts to nothing, as he has a girlfriend. Jeffrey and the girls are hiding in the bushes and it is apparent that they see Mrs. Tifton kissing her boyfriend, Dexter. Language: The sisters do their fair share of name-calling, Rosalind calls Skye a moron, Skye dishes out numerous names for Jane and Batty, and Mrs.Tifton says mean things about the Penderwicks, such as saying that Batty is odd, Mr. Penderwick is a pushover, Skye is sneaky and sarcastic, and the family as a whole is vulgar. Worth noting: Mrs. Penderwick died shortly after Batty was born, and Rosalind tells the story to Batty one night (Batty's decision). Jeffrey plans to run away from his mother, and Dexter insults Jane's story. Mrs. Tifton and Dexter drink wine on Jeffrey's birthday. Although it sounds like there are many things wrong with this story, it's good to know that there will be a happy ending.
Kid, 11 years old May 20, 2012

Never judge a book by its Cover.

I had to read this book for a little book-club thing I'm in, and I wasn't so excited when I saw it. The cover looked dull, boring, and old fashioned, and I was totally unexcited about reading it. When I picked it up and finally started reading, I was bored, I have to admit. For the first chapter or two, I thought that the book was going to be just like I'd expected. However, I did have to read it, and I soon got farther into the book and found myself enjoying it. After that, I got kind of addicted to it; I read it constantly until I finished, and immediatly put it on my top ten book list. It really is an amazing book, so don't put it down and throw it away after the first chapter or two. Keep going, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byagentcheesecake April 5, 2011

The Penderwicks- Best Book I Have Ever Read!

The Penderwicks is probably the best book I have ever read! It is about four sisters and their widowed dad who rent a summer house and face many different adventures together. Throughout the summer, they grow colser to each other and even discover a little more about each of themselves. This book is extremely family friendly, and enjoyable to everyone. I am happy to say the sequel is also just as good. I would just love it if they turned this book into a movie!
Kid, 12 years old November 17, 2010
This is an excellent book! Can be read over and over again! The Penderwicks do act rashly sometimes, but they make up for it. Rosalind is a good role model, because of how well she takes care of Batty. Rosalind develops a crush on Cagney, but of course nothing happens. Young kids may be mildly scared by a mean bull, or scary Mrs. Tifton. Jane call the soccer ball Edwardian insults. A must read.
Kid, 9 years old March 22, 2013

great

I read it when I was 8 and loved the whole series. A really good book with a good message.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFutureCritic July 23, 2011

Buy It

This was such an amazing book. I really, really loved it. I think I've read the Penderwicks about 6 times now. This book is written well, and you come to love the characters. Something worth adding to your personal library.
Teen, 17 years old Written bylauren 123456789 June 5, 2011

"The Penderwicks" - A perfect book for all ages!

In the book, "The Penderwicks" Jeanne Birdsall shows that you must live your own life, never allowing anyone else to make decisions for you, or you will never be happy with yourself.
Kid, 12 years old May 4, 2011

Adventurous Tale

The Penderwicks is a very exciting and adventurous book. I thought that it wouldn't be a good book before i read it, but it turned out to be a very enjoyable read. You may not like it if you only like action-packed books, but otherwise, it is a must-read!!!
Kid, 11 years old August 2, 2010

Family Fun!

Ok so this book is really for any age i read this book and loved we also had the audio book of it so we listened to it on a family road trip. I have a four year old brother who came along some parts he couldn't follow but overall he loved it! But now he sometimes goes around the house yelling "Git Git Git!!!!", Oh well.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPete E.R. Pann May 24, 2010
This book is appropriate for all ages. Let me repeat, all ages. I put 5+ because the 3 year olds may not understand, but there is nothing inappropriate about this book at all.
Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2010

pppssshhhh greenlover333

its not boring def one of my fav books

I love this book!

this book is amazing! I loved it sooooo much! my favorite charecter is Rosiland,she is very controling like me.
Teen, 16 years old Written byStephenCurry30 October 9, 2016

Charming

What a charming read! So good! I would recommend for probably 11 and up, as the one character (who is 12) thinks about her crush a lot (thoughts which include kissing). Also, adults kiss a couple times. That's all though. I love the relationships between the sisters and the love they have for each other. I think even teens would enjoy this book. Great summer read!
Teen, 15 years old Written byNovelnerd2187 July 6, 2016

Relaxing and Highly Enjoyable

The Penderwicks is a great book, for most kids, as long as the kids aren't bothered the how much the one girl fawns over a boy several years older than her, despite the fact that she is only 12. The girls have all sorts of adventures, and after reading this I found myself sorely wishing I could go with them. I also read this to my younger sister, who loved it. (I sort of skipped any sentences that seemed too romantic for a 12 year-old.girl to be thinking.) Overall it is a family oriented story. Totally recommend.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPotterheadWhovian104 October 19, 2014

One of my old favorites.

I read this book when I was 8 or 9 and it was an instant hit with me. Such a fun read and I related with all of the characters, loving them and laughing with them. Definitely something you'd want to introduce to your 8 or 9 year old, they'll love it.
Kid, 11 years old December 15, 2012

review

I think that this is one of the best books i have ever read. I would deficiently recommend this to anyone with the warning that it does have drinking, smoking, imagined kisses and real ones.
Kid, 12 years old September 27, 2011

One of the best books ever!

This book is a wholesome, enjoyable literary gem that I will read to my children. It has a true meaning of what a family should really be, opposed to the "I hate my family," type of books these days. This book will always remind me of my childhood. The girls respect each other, even though they have a few scuffles, they always pull through. Rosalind is a mature teenager that is responsible, caring and over all, a great role model. Skye is a little head-strong, but she would do anything for her sisters. Jane is a little poetess who is an aspiring writer-to-be, she is kind to her sisters and loves them dearly. Batty is a sweet child who's imagination can get her into mischief sometimes. And last of all is the father, who respects, loves and is deeply interested in his daughters. These characters are etched into my heart forever. This book should be reserved on your bookshelf between "Little Women," and "All-of-a-kind-family!" Hats off to you Jeanne Birdsall!
Teen, 17 years old Written byMEMEBABY45 February 1, 2011