Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 12 parent reviews

Sort by:

Gives important life perspectives

My Sophia and I read this and loved it! After reading the first chapter, we couldn’t set it down. It is witty, clever, fun, and has amazing artwork. The Phantom Tollbooth is a great play on words and takes your mind to another universe!!!

1 person found this helpful.

Classic read for kids and adults

One of the best books ever written for children and adults alike!

We hve read this book multipe times. It is great one to read every few years. It gets better the older you get. It is the ultimate ode to learning and the importance of Rhyme and Reason in our lives.The importance of time and thinking (it helps to get the wheels turning). It tells you how easy it is to jump to conclusions, how to choose our words wisely as we may have to eat them (the Royal banquet was awesome). I highly recommend it for a wholesome experience.A great book to read (and laugh) aloud as a family. My 11 year old could hardly put it down.

A classic that hold up!

My 5-yr-old loved it and it was such a joy to read together. I definitely had to explain some parts but nothing was inappropriate except for a few dated words like "midget" which are teachable moments.

A Classic for Good Reasons

Rollicking, humorous read for future grammar police, and their parents. So imaginative! Will definitely look for more by this author. Wish all authors and illustrators put this much action and brainpower into their work.

Christina's review

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is a book about a kid named Milo, he does not know what to do with life and everything to him is boring. He did not really appreciate the things he had. Milo would say things like, "I go to school and I want to come back home, I go home and I want to go back to school. This kid Milo finds a tollbooth that takes him on an adventure where he discovers some weird but cool things. This book shows you that you should be thankful for the things you have and the world you live in. It also tells you to get out of your shell to escape boredom. I thought this book was good and interesting in some ways. I would totally recommend for people to read this book because it is full of adventure and unique experiences.

The Adventures Of Milo

A young boy named Milo has been presented with a pleasant surprise, a box. Milo opened the box and found a Phantom TollBooth. He got a map from the tollbooth and pointed somewhere on the map, he insert a coin into the TollBooth and teleported to the place called Dictionopolis. He was greeted with many adventures with friends by his side. But, the land was not peaceful. Since Rhyme and Reason are gone to land became very very dark. Milo would need to bring Rhyme and Reason back and make the land peaceful. Will Milo be able to bring back Rhyme and Reason? Will he be stuck in this unusual world? This was a great book I really enjoyed it because of its great story line. I recommend this book to mostly anyone because of it's great story.

Lovely Life Lessons in Wonderful Wordplays

This is a wonderful, endearing tale that will relate to readers who are fascinated by the "why" we have to learn ("this boring stuff"). Although it would be a great read aloud to children as young as 8; the vocabulary is extensive. The content would be good but the reading level is much higher (4th/5th grade). Even chapters read alone could prove interesting conversation starters (especially Chap 9 on perspective) between adults and kids. Some questions for parent/child interaction: 1) How did you like Rhyme and Reason's explanation of making mistakes near the end of the book?2) Did you enjoy the word play or did it make it a more challenging read? 3) Do you think you would prefer Dictionopolis or Digitopolis? Did this help you value both a little more?

Enjoyable for kids and adults.

I read this aloud to my 7 1/2 year old and she enjoyed the plot, but a lot of humor was lost because of her age. For my younger children I will wait till they are 9.