Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Phantom Tollbooth

Trip to enchanted world excites learning in kids' classic.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byCarianneb December 21, 2018
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byEmi B. August 28, 2017

A Classic for Good Reasons

Rollicking, humorous read for future grammar police, and their parents. So imaginative! Will definitely look for more by this author. Wish all authors and illustrators put this much action and brainpower into their work.

Adult Written byChristina V. January 25, 2017

Christina's review

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is a book about a kid named Milo, he does not know what to do with life and everything to him is boring. He did not really appreciate the things he had. Milo would say things like, "I go to school and I want to come back home, I go home and I want to go back to school. This kid Milo finds a tollbooth that takes him on an adventure where he discovers some weird but cool things. This book shows you that you should be thankful for the things you have and the world you live in. It also tells you to get out of your shell to escape boredom. I thought this book was good and interesting in some ways. I would totally recommend for people to read this book because it is full of adventure and unique experiences.

Adult Written byVinhKerry L. October 31, 2016

The Adventures Of Milo

A young boy named Milo has been presented with a pleasant surprise, a box. Milo opened the box and found a Phantom TollBooth. He got a map from the tollbooth and pointed somewhere on the map, he insert a coin into the TollBooth and teleported to the place called Dictionopolis. He was greeted with many adventures with friends by his side. But, the land was not peaceful. Since Rhyme and Reason are gone to land became very very dark. Milo would need to bring Rhyme and Reason back and make the land peaceful. Will Milo be able to bring back Rhyme and Reason? Will he be stuck in this unusual world? This was a great book I really enjoyed it because of its great story line. I recommend this book to mostly anyone because of it's great story.

Parent Written bymomfizz January 31, 2015

Lovely Life Lessons in Wonderful Wordplays

This is a wonderful, endearing tale that will relate to readers who are fascinated by the "why" we have to learn ("this boring stuff"). Although it would be a great read aloud to children as young as 8; the vocabulary is extensive. The content would be good but the reading level is much higher (4th/5th grade). Even chapters read alone could prove interesting conversation starters (especially Chap 9 on perspective) between adults and kids. Some questions for parent/child interaction: 1) How did you like Rhyme and Reason's explanation of making mistakes near the end of the book?2) Did you enjoy the word play or did it make it a more challenging read? 3) Do you think you would prefer Dictionopolis or Digitopolis? Did this help you value both a little more?

Parent Written byJen B. January 30, 2015

Enjoyable for kids and adults.

I read this aloud to my 7 1/2 year old and she enjoyed the plot, but a lot of humor was lost because of her age. For my younger children I will wait till they are 9.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bySheSpeeds March 12, 2014

This is my favorite childhood book!!

I'm so excited that my son is now old enough that he too might enjoy the Phantom Tollbooth. We are reading it together at night, since the vocabulary is a little ahead of his reading level so far. He is 7.

Adult Written bySunnyScarlet January 23, 2012

Ridiculously Fun, Imaginative, and Thought Provoking

I read this to my 8 year old daughter and my 7 year old son. Having grown up watching the movie, it was delightful to read the book. There was greater depth, even more fascinating characters, and the situations and experiences the characters went through added a dimension beyond that of the movie to entice the imagination. My daughter was much more enthralled than my son, largely due to the advanced vocabulary words and concepts that required much more in depth thinking. My daughter, who loves the 1970 movie, said that the book was much better than the movie. She was delighted all the way through.