Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 17 kid reviews

Sort by:

One of My Favorites

I loved how literal and creative this book is!

when puns are literal - funny

This book was about a boy named Milo who goes through life always wanting to be somewhere else. This character changes throughout the book when he experiences a world of puns, comedy, and straight forward jokes. This is definitely a kid appropriate book.

Not the best book I’ve read

This book was not very good to me. I do not think people younger than ten should read it because I did not understand it and I’m older than ten. It was very confusing and did not explain everything.

awsome

awesome book

fantastic book that's well written

The Phantom Tollbooth is a very interesting book about a boy named Milo who embarks on an adventure. The book should definitely not be read under nine because the author uses difficult wording and creates difficult grammatical and mathematical concepts.

Meh.. Okay

First off, I liked the book. It was really cute and reminded me of Alice in wonderland(which is a much better alternative). But I found that most kids in my class were really bored by it, not be user the plot was bad, but because they were *not* smart. (I mean, had NO idea of the puns, when it's meant for an eight year old.) I would say you could read it, but Alice's adventures in wonderland is much better as a read aloud for an eight year old than this. However, there is some educational value, telling about numbers and such, but not enough to call it an educational book.

Funny!

This book was really funny, but it used a lot of puns that I'm not sure kids younger than 10 will understand, for example, puns with spelling and phrases like "dessert will be half baked ideas from the half bakery." There is also some mild danger when Milo, Tock and the Humbug are chased up a staircase by demons. However, the puns are funny, and the plot is super imaginative. If you enjoy this, read 'A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears' by Jules Feiffer, the illustrator of this book.

fascinating book

I think this book is great for 8 year olds that like to read a bit of suspense and chasing around. I feel really fascinated to read on to what is next. Everything in the story is interesting and I am always eager to know everything that is going to happen. This book is very lively and for kids that get really bored a lot, they will get all fascinated and everything when they read this book . This books is about a boy called Milo and he used to be very bored until one day in his room he finds a tollbooth. And he goes to 2 worlds, digitopolis and the other was about letters. So kings of each place are long enemies and Milo tricks both into agreeing to save 2 princesses from a castle above the clouds. After I read it I thought that this book is really good and I also thought that this book is very educational and I feel excited to read more of this author's books. I felt sad for Milo because he used to be very bored. But then I felt happy for Milo because his life became very exciting and full of happiness.