Kid reviews for The Program, Book 1

Dystopian romance links teen suicide and memory.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySea of Tranquility August 2, 2013

Very Realistic

As suicide really is a problem here in the 21st century, this book does at least make sense. I really like it because it teaches you the harsh reality of life, and also what love truely means. I love the fact that James and Sloane's love for each other still lasts throughout the struggles and hardships they face, including deaths of loved ones and memories taken by The Program. It teaches not only me, but I'm sure others, that there is light at the end of the tunnel and if it's meant to be, you will find each other once more.
Kid, 12 years old May 19, 2013

MUST READ,Breathtaking. Best dystopian of 2013 so far.

I love it. Read it at 12 (13 in June) and although they have there sexual times this book is amazing I LOVE IT. On my top 10 list FOR SURE. Best book you will read in 2013 so well written realistic breathtaking you'll be so amazed by the intensity of this book. However if you're 12 and you can't understand the complex diversions that I can this may be a tad over your head. Simply amazing novel so glad I saw it in the bookstore. The language is fine. This book is a must read once you've hit the seventh grade. Some of Sloane's friends commit suicide with something called QuickDeath. This must become a international bestseller. Amazing you HAVE to read it for youself. When it comes to books I'm hard to please I may be young but when it comes to books I can tell you everything that is needed to construct a bestseller I actually won 2 teen writing contests already and Trust me this book is AMAZING. If you need an adult opinionI told my principle to read it and she actually said this was one of the only books that she thinks everyone will love and she has published novels. Amazing.

Teen, 15 years old Written bylauren06 August 27, 2013

Great book and great messages.

I read this book a few months back, and loved it. I highly enjoy dystopian or future themed novels, and this one lived up to my standards. I think it is suitable for most to all teenagers. Sexual content is brief and mostly skipped over. It is mentioned but never truly described. Violence is an obvious part of the book, with it's suicidal themes. It's definitely an emotional ride, but if you have some spare cash I recommend checking out this book.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBooklover1231 December 26, 2014

A BREATH OF FRESH AIR!

This book was just beautiful! I have to say I was extremely impressed! I expected this book to be a great dystopian, but not an awesome one. Boy was I wrong! I will first run through the iffy stuff so you can easily make your mind if this book is for your kid or yourself. There was some violence but not a lot. A character commits suicide and a few attempt too kill themselves. There is punching and kicking, but that's not a big deal. There is some sexual content. The 2 main characters have sex twice but it really isn't that described. There is passionate kissing frequently. There is pretty bad language also. The F-bomb is said twice and the S-word is said quite a bit. Variations of the A-word are also said. THE GOOD STUFF This book educates tweens and teens about depression and suicide in a haunting manner. The main character, Sloan is a great role model because she would do anything to protect her boyfriend and isn't afraid to stand up for something she believes in. The positive message in this book is very strong. It informs how you can overcome large barriers with hard work and determination.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFelicitous Freedom April 9, 2015

Deep and Thought-Provoking Concept - Not Executed as well as it Could Have Been

The mere concept of this book is exceptional. Suicide is an issue today, and it is interesting to extend that to such a degree as in this book. It poses many questions, and does make you think - what would it be like? This is semi-explored through observing the lives of Sloane and her boyfriend, and the troubles they go through thanks to the 'Program', the supposed remedy of heightening suicide rates. Personally, I thought that this could have been expanded upon more in the book, but that could just be me. A large part of the book is about the relationship between Sloane and her boyfriend, and while that's fairly well written, it really isn't for everyone. Younger readers might find this a little mushy...I'd probably only recommend for people over 13 for this reason. Everyone's different though, and age doesn't necessarily mark maturity. This is a dystopian novel, but unlike others where the change in society is obvious, violent, and deadly, this is more subtle. The world Sloane is in looks normal. On the surface, at least. There isn't really much violence. This is a pretty good book, that lacks in some areas, but is a nice read overall.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThePro27 June 15, 2015

Meh :/

I read this in a day, not because it was good, I found it was boring and had no real plot. If your thinking about reading this, maybe you should find something else.

Teen, 14 years old Written byazhao12289 August 1, 2016

As a person dealing with mental health issues...

I just now finished this book. Even before I read it, the premise seemed a little bit sketchy. Perhaps, if the book had been coming from an author who knew what they were talking about when dealing with depression and suicide, it could have been an amazing book. However, Young's understanding of mental health issues is extremely lacking. This book was definitely written for readers who don't understand these issues from the point of view of someone who doesn't understand these issues. For readers who want a real look at what mental illness looks like, I would personally recommend books such as All The Bright Places or It's Kind of a Funny Story. Both of these books are good for the same age group as The Program. Overall, Young really wrote this book using the topics of suicide and depression because she needed something to add flair to her plot. The ideas and portrayal of mental illness in this book are about as accurate as a lobster trying to make a dress with its bare claws. I sincerely hope that readers do not read this book and carry the false information about mental illness provided in this book as their foremost impression about these issues.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymadisonewoods June 1, 2016

Im an Avid Reader and this is at the top of my list!!

I first read this book when I was 12. I absolutely loved it! I have reread it at least once a year since then. This book does have its sexual moments but absolutely nothing descriptive. Profanity is only used a few times throughout the entire book. The only word said are different uses of the word s**t, and that is uncommon. There is only a few violent scenes and they are nothing more than a pushing, dragging, etc. There is no drugs other than the pills the program gives to patients. I think that this book shows a more realistic side of love, while not making this revolve around the relationship of teenagers. I also think, especially in this world, it brought to my attention how prevalent suicide is. This book definitely talks about suicide but it does not encourage it by any means!! This whole book is about a girl trying to put a stop to suicide as well as the destructive programs causing it to happen more. I really think any kid 11+ would really enjoy this!

Teen, 13 years old Written byJersey___ July 2, 2017

Mature Themes, Incredible Book!

This book, let me just say, is incredible! It's in my top 5 favorite books for sure. I read it when I was 12 but it depends on maturity level. MATURE CONTENT: there are some swear words at times although they aren't said very often, sometimes it's the F-bomb, so strong language is definitely used. There is some sexual scenes and lots of kissing/making out but not graphic. There is violence, for sure, but the suicide and violence is clear in the plot. It isn't the most accurate depictions of depression but it's a great book! GOOD CONTENT: the main character makes good choices mostly (it also mentions that her sex with her bf is protected) and is a good role model. It's a great story, epic plot and overall good series.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHi ppl December 3, 2016
I read this book when I was about ten. Suicide is an main theme, but death happens in real life too. This book is appropriate and does not have a lot of sexual content. Excellent content and very entertaining.

Teen, 16 years old Written byJnam289 December 3, 2018

Is about sensitive topic & gives Positive message

The series are very interesting and gives a positive message. You really get the main theme that erasing your memories doesn't solve anything. In the first book, there is some cussing but not a lot, but later in the series, there seems to be more use bad words like F***and s**t. I would not recommend to kids (teens) under maybe around age 15 or those who are knowing of the sensitive topics. They may not understand the message and it may be a bad influence to them (as in change their way of thinking w/o getting the message straight).

Teen, 13 years old Written byCupcake_05 October 15, 2018
Teen, 16 years old Written byalicialeinen December 28, 2017

Amazing

I loved this book. I related to it more than anything at the time I was reading it, considering I was in a PMIC placement center, and had relatable feelings to the characters. I finished this series in two weeks. Definitely a serious but intriguing plot.

Teen, 15 years old Written byKimm.y April 10, 2017

a really good book, it might make you uncomfortable

Its a good book, but James and Sloane who are in a relationship, makes out a couple times, and twice have sex. There are some usage of swearing, such as the "H" word, "F" word, and a few damns and shits around. One character almost rapes Sloane, but they only kiss. These aren't descriptive, pretty vogue but still a bit weird. The book overall, is a good one. I recommend it.