Kid reviews for The Prophecy of the Stones

Reads like what it is: a 14-year-old's writing.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 13 years old Written byTripFoot March 26, 2012

If you are a writer, this book is inspiring - if Bujor can get published, so can you!

Oh joy! Another horrible book written by a teen! Some teens are talented writers: Mary Shelly wrote FRANKENSTEIN when she was only 19, and Stefan Bachmann published THE PECULIAR when he was 18. They're both great books, and they both have 4 stars on Common Sense Media. Then, there are those writers who only get published because of their age. Yes, Christopher Paolini's ERAGON and ELDEST are engaging, but so was the plot of Star Wars (which he rewrote.) Also, I know she was only 12 when she got published, but Nancy Yi Fan's SWORDBIRD had a simplistic plot, 1-dimentional characters, and a world deried from Redwall. And what about this book? Sadly, this book is in the latter category. Flavia Bujor's THE PROPHECY OF THE STONES is one of the downright worst books that have seen print. It ranks right up there with other infamously terrible books like THE EYE OF ARGON (which is so bad that its funny) and THE MARADONIA SAGA by Gloria Tesch (which is so godawfully retarted that it's not funny anymore. Tesch f**king plagarizes the Bible.) But what is so bad about this book? Let's see, shall we? Plot: Full of cliches. I mean, FULL!!! The original idea was mediocre, but OK, many ideas suck but yeild reletively good books (think Shiver. Unoriginal idea, great exection.) The plot follows the three girls as the try to fulfill the prophecy, and it is filled with Deus ex Machina (a girl almost o dies, but she doesn't because Death is on strike. WTF!?!) It lacks propulsive motion, is unpredictable, (in a bad way. We don't know what to predict because the world building sucks, but more on that later) and sometimes makes no sense. Joa, the girl dying in Paris, has no point in the story, and her lines are as cheesy. Speaking of cheese, this book has more plot holes than Swiss cheese. Characters: These characters had the personality of a wallpaper. Decorated, slightly different from each other, but flat. Flat as graphine (which is 1 atom or so thick.) They behaved unbeleivably (some characters had random hatreds for each other, like Jade for Opal. Yes, people hate each other, and Flavia Bujor was trying to make her story seem realistic. She failed miserably, partly because her characters lack motivation.) Also, this story suffers from insta-love. Even more, love at first sight, and not once, but twice! At least there was no love triangle. OMG I JUST FOUND SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT THIS BOOK! Yeah, no love triangle. World-Building: Unbeleivable. Yes, it's a fantasy, but fantasy worlds have rules, too! Even ERAGON looks like a good book compared to this! For example, in Eragon, you have the Empire (evil!) the Varden (resistance!) and other cities (Teirm, harbor city. Palancar Valley, a small valley with small towns where Eragon was born.) You have a clear sense of what is where, even thought the prose that described it was hackneyed and long-winded. You even got a map. But here? Nothing. In TPotS, you have no idea where the hell everything is. The world has no rules either. In ERAGON, there are some basic laws, which are somewhat consistent. In TPotS, the world has no rules, and makes no sense. Prose: Suck SO BAD! A good writing activity for writiers who want to practice editing is to go and re-write some sections. Now, this can be blamed on the translator, who should be fired and then put in a fire (as our society does not need such failures.) The dialuoge is akward, the prose clunky, and this and all the elements combined will want to make you burn this demon-spawn of a book. Do I Recommend It: No! 50 times, no! Well, with one exeption: if you are a writer with writer's block and think, "Oh, my writing is terrible, I'll never get published!" then read this book! If she can get published... Recommended alternatives: For an exiting fantasy: His Dark Materials (so good!), Lyonesse: Well Between the Worlds (a blast!), or The Demon King (EPIC!) For a unique fairy-tale world: The Wee Free Men (so funny!), Abarat (so beautifully weird!), or Goose Girl (so poetic!). If you want to spare your brain cells from destruction, please, skip this book.
Kid, 11 years old August 21, 2010

11 year old reviwer

Well here, I'm 11, and I saw this book at the bookstore and decided to read it when I found out that a 14 year old girl wrote it. I read about 5 pages, and I thought that it was amazing that a girl a bit older than me could write so well. But as I kept reading, there were words that didn't make sense, there weren't enough details, the exciting parts were rushed, and it was predictable. I liked the book. It was nicely written for someone of that age, but on a more professional level, it is bad. There was a lack of creativity, the characters developed fine, but fell in love way to fast. The descriptions were unclear, and it doesn't sound like a 14 year old's writing. I'm 11, and I'm sure that I can write so much better.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni January 7, 2010

not a very descriptive fantasy book

the idea itself is actually quite good. however, the writing does not produce the idea in a descriptive way. the characters do not develop throughout the book, like most do in a good story. there are serious plot twists, such as death is on strike when a major character dies and is "never to return" a ten year old could pass these flaws and still state it an excellent book. good for kids, ok for tweens, but most teens won't bother to read it.
Kid, 11 years old April 28, 2009

Is This Book Possible?!?!

This book is soooo good. I wish i could write like this!! It is interesting and sad, heart-warming and great!! Is the author a mastermind or what?!? It gets you hooked but wont let go! It may be long but once you pick it you might not be able to put it down. Iloooooved it so much!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHappyFarts May 2, 2010

A seriously crappy book

This book is seriously cappy. Crappy plot twists, crappy writing, crappy 2D characters, crappy subplots and seriously who falls in love in like 2 seconds flat? it also moves way to fast and the thing just doesn't run smoothly. If could have given this a zero i would.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywitchchild April 9, 2008
Teen, 16 years old Written bywitchchild17 April 9, 2008
Kid, 11 years old October 17, 2010
I'm just starting this book and I love it!!! If you like fairy tales you will fall in love this book. I'm 11 and I love it!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byRaiin December 16, 2009

Astounding .

I honestly ADORE this book . This is my favorite book , and i enjoy reading so thats something special . I'm 13 but i read this first in grade 6 , so two years ago , but i took up reading it again , i still love it . Of COURSE adults don't enjoy reading this type of thing , it has no way of relating to their everyday life , A teenage girl on the other hand would most likely highly enjoy this book . Then again teenage girls usually enjoy Twilight... ( I for one hate it. ) But this doesn't amount to Shakespeare either . Then again , i simply love this book ! Even my mother and my past vice principal loved it , to each his own i guess . Also , please remember this is simply astounding for a 14 year old girl . Your children probably can't get a book published now can they ? ( For those people who have children like my brother , Be quiet :] ) Now i have to get back to reading this!
Teen, 14 years old Written byI love fantasy August 16, 2010

Good for fantasy and adventure lovers

This book is highly imaginative. I think that it is a good book for all kids that love adventure and fantasy.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygoldendoodle April 9, 2008

One of my fav. books

I am 11 years old. This book suits my age perfectly. I wouldn't recommend this book to kids that are younger then me because the whole book is basically based on war. However, I am rather outraged that CSM said that it reads like a 14 year old wrote it. This is a very inspiring book that is exrtremly well written. In Europe, The Prophecy of the Stones was on the best seller list. Great book. I can't say it enough.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTeen Writer December 8, 2010

Please Don't Be Prejudiced, Perfect for teens and tweens

I LOVED this book. The storyline was captivating, and the characters were so easy to relate to, even in their fantasy world. I am a teenage writer, and I just want to say that all those reviews saying books by teens have poor quality are worthless, horrible, cruel, and prejudiced. Just because an adult cannot understand the life, language, or writing of a teenager does not maked the book, or the writer, 'bad.' It is a scientifically proved fact that teenagers' brains, during puberty, are literally being rewired. Therefore, it is natural that an adult may not understand what they are writing, but a teenager can relate perfectly. I would also like to say that we teenagers would appreciate the adults who claim that all teenage writing is either A) about vampires B) sappy romances or C) just plain useless, would kindly keep their prejudiced comments and reviews to themselves. And if you do feel the need to criticize our writing, please try to remember how hard it was to balance friends, homework, and family, along with your personal activities. Now add trying to write full-length novels, and see if you still want to tear us down.

Teen, 14 years old Written byrry1994 November 8, 2008

itz aMaZiNg....a must-read book

i found 1 of da best books i've ever read, it can be read by ppl of all ages.......its simply AMAZING.....
Teen, 13 years old Written byrajain_14 June 24, 2010
I love it! one of my favorite books.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymellifluous_hal... April 9, 2008
Kid, 10 years old September 19, 2010

great!!!!!!!!!

I love this book because these are girls you can relate to.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLadypurple August 18, 2010
I liked it but I think she did kind of rush the ending.
Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2009

An Introduction to Fantasy.

The Prophecy of the Stones, though imaginative and well-written, compromises a good storyline for poorly developed characters; hazy, mostly boring sub-plots and is full of cliches. To the wise eyes of an adult this book is nothing compared to other fantasy novels, but to children between the ages of roughly 8-10, it is pure gold. I'd like to think of the story as a "practice" for other books, most notably Inkheart, a vivid tween book spilling with creativity. Books such as Harry Potter, Twilight and Lord of the Rings can be read in the teen years with little difficulty if properly introduced, which brings us to why this book is important, not as a priceless literature movement, but as a teacher.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypuppyest08 April 9, 2008

Great for a sixth grader

OK, eveyone says it sounds like a 14 yr old wrote it. That might have something to do with the fact that it was written by a high schooler, which for that age I think is impressive. This book was exciting and not too violent. It's great for a sixth grader, but any older and you will get bored.