Kid reviews for The Real Boy

Shy boy fights monsters, makes friend in powerful fantasy.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Based on 1 review
Teen, 17 years old Written bymjett5577 June 30, 2016

Didn't reach the standards of my typical favorite book.

Summary: It’s been a long time since anyone who could call himself a wizard walked the world, and now that world is changing. Children in the city are falling ill; something sinister lurks in the forest. Oscar has long been content to stay in his small room, comforted in the knowledge that the magic that flows from the trees will keep his island safe. Now, even magic may not be enough to save it. Plot: I thought that this had awesome potential to become a really cool plot, but I was never drawn in the entire time. There was a huge lack of world building, and it could have been a great world. I was bored, and nothing happened until 250 pages through. I feel like I was never plugged into this book, and it just wasn't for me. Writing: Despite what I said above, I really enjoyed Anna Ursu's writing style. She's a talented writer, and I actually want to read her novel: Breadcrumbs. Sometimes, she didn't explain huge plot twists very well, and I was left very confused. Characters: I found the characters the have okay development, but I never attached to them at all. I honestly wouldn't care if they died. Overall: This did not reach my expectations whatsoever. This book seemed right down my alley, but sometimes there's those certain books that I don't click with. Recommendations: I certainly WOULD recommend This! Just because I didn't particularly like it, doesn't mean you will! I would say give it a shot if you want to. Also, I would say 8+.

Educational Value